10-14-2015, 03:56 PM
User Info
I bought two of the William Neumann shaving creams based on a Mantic59 suggestion.  I got the Old Fashioned Soda and the Signature 1907.  These are very unique, excellently balanced, and very masculine scents.  I've also got very good shaves with them.

I wanted to know if anyone has tried them or their aftershaves.  I'm putting some feelers out there for your favorite scents by them.  They all intrigue me, but most intriguing to me are the Heartwood and 1911 (they are pretty pricey per bottle).

Sound off and let me know your favorites and opinions on their aftershaves!  Thanks!

0 58
 10-14-2015, 05:58 PM
User Info
I like all of the Wm Neumann products. The Neumann family and company headquarters is located about 10 miles from my home. When I started back in hobby, I read a review about them and ordered their aftershave sampler. All of the scents are unique; they start one way and top out in another. My favorites are Absolute Zero and Bay Rum. AZ is very clean and light, perfect for summer. BR is really different, not sweet at all. My least favorite scent is Old Fashioed Soda; although it's growing on me. The Peppermint Clove and the Like are nice for warm weather. The Heartland and 1911 are nice for Fall and Winter.

I also like the preshave oil (very light and effective) and the soaps ( they are very thirsty and benefit from a warm soaking).

18 98
 10-14-2015, 07:02 PM
User Info
(10-14-2015, 05:58 PM)Sentry Wrote: I like all of the Wm Neumann products.  The Neumann family and company headquarters is located about 10 miles from my home.  When I started back in hobby, I read a review about them and ordered their aftershave sampler.  All of the scents are unique; they start one way and top out in another.  My favorites are Absolute Zero  and Bay Rum.  AZ is very clean and light, perfect for summer. BR is really different, not sweet at all.  My least favorite scent is Old Fashioed Soda; although it's growing on me. The Peppermint Clove and the Like are nice for warm weather. The Heartland and 1911 are nice for Fall and Winter.

I also like the preshave oil (very light and effective) and the soaps ( they are very thirsty and benefit from a warm soaking).

Thanks for your input Sentry.  Thats pretty cool that they are right around the corner from you, I may visit them when I am in Virginia again.  I'm surprised you don't like Old Fashioned Soda, I think it's wonderful.  

Im not really a Bay Rum kind of guy necessarily, but it doesn't offend me that much depending on the scent.  Absolute Zero did interest me though.  Fall and winter are right around the corner, which I love!

0 58
 10-15-2015, 09:29 AM
User Info
(10-14-2015, 07:02 PM)FenrirWhiskers Wrote:
(10-14-2015, 05:58 PM)Sentry Wrote: I like all of the Wm Neumann products.  The Neumann family and company headquarters is located about 10 miles from my home.  When I started back in hobby, I read a review about them and ordered their aftershave sampler.  All of the scents are unique; they start one way and top out in another.  My favorites are Absolute Zero  and Bay Rum.  AZ is very clean and light, perfect for summer. BR is really different, not sweet at all.  My least favorite scent is Old Fashioed Soda; although it's growing on me. The Peppermint Clove and the Like are nice for warm weather. The Heartland and 1911 are nice for Fall and Winter.

Thanks for your input Sentry.  Thats pretty cool that they are right around the corner from you, I may visit them when I am in Virginia again.  I'm surprised you don't like Old Fashioned Soda, I think it's wonderful.  

Im not really a Bay Rum kind of guy necessarily, but it doesn't offend me that much depending on the scent.  Absolute Zero did interest me though.  Fall and winter are right around the corner, which I love!
Wm Neumann does not get a lot of love on the forum.   I don't know why, it's a quality product in my opinion.  I'll end up owning all of their products.  They always add a bar of their soap to my orders; also very nice.

By the way, they don't have a shop in Williamsburg or.anywhere else.  Most of the shipments arrive from West Virginia.

18 98
 10-15-2015, 09:47 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
(10-14-2015, 03:56 PM)FenrirWhiskers Wrote: I bought two of the William Neumann shaving creams based on a Mantic59 suggestion.  I got the Old Fashioned Soda and the Signature 1907.  These are very unique, excellently balanced, and very masculine scents.  I've also got very good shaves with them.

I wanted to know if anyone has tried them or their aftershaves.  I'm putting some feelers out there for your favorite scents by them.  They all intrigue me, but most intriguing to me are the Heartwood and 1911 (they are pretty pricey per bottle).

Sound off and let me know your favorites and opinions on their aftershaves!  Thanks!
I have exactly these AS splashes and I LIKE every drop of them. Strong, but not overwhelming. Smell is sophisticated and masculine and has a pretty good longevity - up to three hours and then some... The aftershave feel is great and comparable to my most favorite Pitralon classic.

111 1,406
 10-15-2015, 10:06 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
I have used all the AS [samples] and would have to say enjoyed them all.

Have the 1911 soap and in fact used it a couple of weeks ago as I hadn't in some time. Solid performance and I like the scent as it is definitely old school.

My wife doesn't care for it but tolerates. Smile

2 1,180
 10-15-2015, 04:03 PM
User Info
(10-15-2015, 10:06 AM)kwsher Wrote: I have used all the AS [samples] and would have to say enjoyed them all.

Have the 1911 soap and in fact used it a couple of weeks ago as I hadn't in some time. Solid performance and I like the scent as it is definitely old school.

My wife doesn't care for it but tolerates. Smile
I love old school.  But if the bride doth protest, you only wear it when you travel.  Because if you like it, who's going to argue then?  Gotta keep the little lady happy.   Tongue

0 58
 10-17-2015, 07:46 PM
User Info
I have a couple of their aftershave splashes: Heartwood and 1911 Signature. I really like both. They included a scent sampler with my order and I was able to smell the rest of the lineup. I'm glad with my original two choices and would probably make the same choices again. I also liked Absolute Zero. 1907 is pretty good but I'm a bit on the fence on that one as an aftershave splash. I'm not a bay rum fan, so I didn't like bay rum and peppermint clove (which smelled pretty similar to the bay rum to me). If you like bay rum, I'm sure you would like Neumann's too--I'm just not a fan of any bay rum. Old Fashion Soda smelled okay (and fairly authentic), but I'm not sure that I'd wear it as an aftershave.

If I had to rank them from most to least favorite: Heartwood, 1911, Absolute Zero, 1907, Lime & Mint Rum, Old Fashion Soda, Peppermint Clove, Bay Rum.

3 92
 10-18-2015, 03:52 PM
User Info
i also recently purchased a couple. The Absolute Zero cream and matching AS, and the Peppermint Clove soap and matching AS. The cream is my first cream and took me a couple of tries to figure out how to lather it. I am currently only a face lather-er. It is quite a nice cooling sensation and created one of the slickest shaves I had to date. The AS has no burn, straight up cooling. Leaves the skin feeling moisturized and smooth. The Peppermint Clove took me many more tries to get a decent lather. It is a hard soap. Finally read a couple post here on the Shave Nook about getting a good lather with another soap. Sounded like a similar soap at least in hardness, so I tried those recommendations. Though it can be a sloppy technique, and I am quite the slob any way, I finally got a good lather and a great shave. My best yet. Slicker than anything I have tried to date,mind you that is not very many.  Love the scent of clove and peppermint. The AS packs quite the bite, then a cooling sensation. Skin is left very smooth, soft and moisturized.

Have only been wet shaving a little more than a year, but the Neuman soap so far is my favorite, but so so many more to try.

0 10
 10-18-2015, 07:48 PM
User Info
(10-18-2015, 03:52 PM)fredB Wrote: i also recently purchased a couple. The Absolute Zero cream and matching AS, and the Peppermint Clove soap and matching AS. The cream is my first cream and took me a couple of tries to figure out how to lather it. I am currently only a face lather-er. It is quite a nice cooling sensation and created one of the slickest shaves I had to date. The AS has no burn, straight up cooling. Leaves the skin feeling moisturized and smooth. The Peppermint Clove took me many more tries to get a decent lather. It is a hard soap. Finally read a couple post here on the Shave Nook about getting a good lather with another soap. Sounded like a similar soap at least in hardness, so I tried those recommendations. Though it can be a sloppy technique, and I am quite the slob any way, I finally got a good lather and a great shave. My best yet. Slicker than anything I have tried to date,mind you that is not very many.  Love the scent of clove and peppermint. The AS packs quite the bite, then a cooling sensation. Skin is left very smooth, soft and moisturized.

Have only been wet shaving a little more than a year, but the Neuman soap so far is my favorite, but so so many more to try.

I really like the Peppermint Clove, very refreshing.  I'm cycling through all of my soaps, and plan to take notes the next time around so I can compare all the features.  So far, I've been able to get a good lather from all of them.

18 98
 11-22-2015, 10:45 AM
User Info
I own the 1907 Signature and the Heartwood shave creams and the 1911 soap. I also own the aftershave balm for all 3 scents. I could easily just rotate these 3 scenes and be happy. That said I find their creams hard to lather and they require a fair amount of product to get multiple passes. The lather from the cream seems to die during the second pass. I also find I get better results with the cream when I use a Plisson synthetic brush. I have no problems with the soap.

1 309
 11-27-2015, 07:53 AM
User Info
Heartwood is one of my all-time favorite scents.  :-)

[Image: B2882BE2-C424-405A-83A0-F8B666A61E09_zpsxvxjsnam.jpg]

0 27
 12-16-2016, 06:13 PM
User Info
I received an aftershave sampler of all their scents. I got to smell them all.

My favorites are Heartwood. Incredible, unique fragrance. I also got the Lime Mint and Rum, as well as Peppermint Clove.

Very happy with these

7 87
 12-16-2016, 06:42 PM
User Info
I've used a few of the aftershaves (Heartwood & 1911) and was impressed with scents performance, I'm inquisitive about the soap performance. Anyone have any input?

7 305
 12-16-2016, 06:45 PM
User Info
Signature 1907, Heartwood and 1911. All 3 are very nice classic scents.

1 309
 12-16-2016, 06:54 PM
User Info
1911 is my favorite.

10 338
 12-16-2016, 07:32 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
Heartwood and 1911 are my favorites!

46 932
 12-16-2016, 07:44 PM
User Info
BTW I received a double order of Heartwood and Peppermint &  Clove and posted a trade request in the Swao & Shop  forum in case anyone is interested

7 87
 12-17-2016, 07:07 AM
User Info
I tried it. Purchased heartland. It was expensive. The scent was okay. Not a good performer for me. It was nearing the price of Higher end shaving soaps and creams and was runny and just not a great lather for me. I sold it. YMmV

87 892