10-14-2015, 08:48 PM
User Info
I read so much here and elsewhere about shaving soaps like AOS that used to have a tallow base, and were re-formulated at some point to use vegetable fats instead. Geo. F. Trumper soaps were once tallow soaps too, I've been told.

I have also read many theories about the motives for these changes -- all the way from import/export regulations, to AOS wanting to sell us pre-shave by reducing the glide in their soaps. 

I'm hoping for some posts about the different soaps that saw these changes -- your opinion about the motives -- how you feel about the whole subject.

Personally, I like several vegan soaps very much, but my favorites are almost all tallow based. Can it simply be that they've been around longer and the makers have had many decades to perfect the formula?

5 395
 10-15-2015, 02:37 AM
User Info

I have used tallow AoS and tallow Trumper as well as their reformulated non-tallow counterparts. I found tallow AoS to be slightly superior to the current non-tallow AoS; however, a confounding factor might be that it's no longer made by Valobra, but by a Proctor & Gamble associated outfit. 
In regard to Trumper, I actually found the reformulated non-tallow version on par with the tallow Trumper [though the non-tallow I used was from circa 2009; since then, it has been modified yet again, and reviews I've come across here and elsewhere say late-production Trumper soap is poor]. 

As to why the change, I can not confirm, but I suspect some reasons: production-cost/ease, vegan-marketing, combination thereof...

I don't dismiss a SS on account of it being non-tallow, but, indeed, my top 3 hard SSs happen to be tallow-based [but also happen to be from well-established companies/purveyors]. On the other hand, inclusion of tallow does not guarantee success, as exemplified by Williams "Mug" Soap [one would be hard-pressed in trying to find it in a "best shaving soap" poll].

Btw, I hesitate to use the word "vegan" in ascribing a non-tallow soap, since this implies tallow is necessarily animal-derived. I have seen the term "tallow" used to just describe a triglyceride with a particular fatty acid profile. Theoretically, the soap tallow could be an in-vitro synthetic; therefore, I use the term "non-tallow" instead.

my 2 ¢

0 530
 10-15-2015, 01:28 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(10-15-2015, 02:37 AM)ask4Edge Wrote: In regard to Trumper, I actually found the reformulated non-tallow version on par with the tallow Trumper [though the non-tallow I used was from circa 2009; since then, it has been modified yet again, and reviews I've come across here and elsewhere say late-production Trumper soap is poor]. 

I agree. Love the first non-tallow Trumper soaps.
While the tallow one leaves my face softer and conditioned, I actually get better shaves from the non-tallow one. Those were the Potassium Palmate ones, not the current Sodium Palmate ones.

62 3,012
 10-15-2015, 01:54 PM
User Info
If you go to Tim's Soap website and read his description of his soaps you will see that he believes tallow is not required and not superior because the chemistry shows so. What I do know is that I used to favor all tallow soaps as well, but held Catie's right up there, and now I honestly like Tim's Soap as much as any tallow I've tried. CRSW arrives soon so this could change, or be a tie. But I still love my tallow soaps too, just think there are some veggie soaps that are equal, or so close I can hardly tell.

13 947
 10-16-2015, 10:50 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(10-15-2015, 01:54 PM)Hobbyist Wrote: If you go to Tim's Soap website and read his description of his soaps you will see that he believes tallow is not required and not superior because the chemistry shows so. What I do know is that I used to favor all tallow soaps as well, but held Catie's right up there, and now I honestly like Tim's Soap as much as any tallow I've tried. CRSW arrives soon so this could change, or be a tie. But I still love my tallow soaps too, just think there are some veggie soaps that are equal, or so close I can hardly tell.

I agree that tallow is not necessary for a good, or even great, performing soap.  However, when I analyzed my own shaving soap rotation, the ones that I was preferring all had tallow.  This was not an intentional gravitation, it just is what it is. 

The original veggie Trumper soap is indeed quite impressive, I have no idea why they would go away from such a successful formulation.

149 2,823
 10-16-2015, 11:25 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
(10-16-2015, 10:50 AM)blzrfn Wrote:
(10-15-2015, 01:54 PM)Hobbyist Wrote: If you go to Tim's Soap website and read his description of his soaps you will see that he believes tallow is not required and not superior because the chemistry shows so. What I do know is that I used to favor all tallow soaps as well, but held Catie's right up there, and now I honestly like Tim's Soap as much as any tallow I've tried. CRSW arrives soon so this could change, or be a tie. But I still love my tallow soaps too, just think there are some veggie soaps that are equal, or so close I can hardly tell.

I agree that tallow is not necessary for a good, or even great, performing soap.  However, when I analyzed my own shaving soap rotation, the ones that I was preferring all had tallow.  This was not an intentional gravitation, it just is what it is. 

The original veggie Trumper soap is indeed quite impressive, I have no idea why they would go away from such a successful formulation.

+1 Tallow works a lot better for my skin post shave. I've used different vegan ss but seems like something is missing. I always end up letting it go and going back to tallow.

10 963
 10-16-2015, 12:14 PM
User Info
(10-15-2015, 01:28 PM)Nero Wrote:
(10-15-2015, 02:37 AM)ask4Edge Wrote: In regard to Trumper, I actually found the reformulated non-tallow version on par with the tallow Trumper [though the non-tallow I used was from circa 2009; since then, it has been modified yet again, and reviews I've come across here and elsewhere say late-production Trumper soap is poor]. 

I agree. Love the first non-tallow Trumper soaps.
While the tallow one leaves my face softer and conditioned, I actually get better shaves from the non-tallow one. Those were the Potassium Palmate ones, not the current Sodium Palmate ones.

+1 I used my 2008 Rose soap, this morning. A solid performing non-tallow soap, unlike the current formulation of 5 years, or so.

32 5,294