07-07-2012, 07:56 AM
User Info
Saturday morning:

pucked Palmolive stick
Rooney 3/1 SS
GEM Featherweight
GEM SS ptfe (5)
Kramperts Finest bay rum

It's been awhile since I used this razor and had forgotten what a nice shave it gives despite it being one of the mildest SE razors on the planet.

Have a good weekend gents!

32 6,584
 07-07-2012, 09:30 AM
User Info
*Good luck with the heat, Bruce. We are having 100 degree weather in southwestern Ontario. It has been going on for almost two weeks. Sharpening up your straights i see.

(07-07-2012, 07:21 AM)Stroker Wrote: SOTD Saturday 7-7-2012

6/8 F.H. Loeffler, "Our Drummer" Full Hollow, Spike Point
Proraso PSC
Ingrams SC
Parker Badger
Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Nivea ASB
Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue ASL

It's going to be a scorcher today and I have to work out in the sun repairing a wood deck so the coolness of the AV Ice and the Ingrams will be very welcomed!

[Image: BadgerBlade1447.jpg]

91 21,284
 07-07-2012, 10:18 AM
  • Stroker
  • Jacksonville, Oregon
User Info
Sounds like everyone is getting this hot weather all over North America and we are having another Little Climatic Optimum period in the earth's temperatures when the earth experienced the warmest climate since the Climatic Optimum. During this period, the Vikings established settlements on Greenland and Iceland. The snow line in the Rocky Mountains was about 370 meters above current levels. However, a period of cool and more extreme weather followed the Little Climatic Optimum. A great drought in the American southwest occurred between 1276 and 1299. There are records of floods, great droughts and extreme seasonal climate fluctuations up to the 1400s.
After this period it got much colder and we had the Little Ice Age. During the Little Ice Age, the average annual temperature of the Northern Hemisphere was about 1.0 degree Celsius lower than today. During the period 1580 to 1600, the western United States experienced one of its longest and most severe droughts in the last 500 years. Cold weather in Iceland from 1753 and 1759 caused 25% of the population to die from crop failure and famine. Newspapers in New England were calling 1816 the year without a summer. At my age I don't think I can wait for the cooler weather! Biggrin
Stay cool Celestino! Smile

6 448
 07-07-2012, 10:32 AM
User Info
Bruce, that's some interesting weather facts. Thanks!

30 1,292
 07-07-2012, 10:51 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
So, what you're trying to say is, it's either cold or hot, feast or famine.Biggrin

186 25,797
 07-07-2012, 12:24 PM
  • Stroker
  • Jacksonville, Oregon
User Info
(07-07-2012, 10:51 AM)Johnny Wrote: So, what you're trying to say is, it's either cold or hot, feast or famine.Biggrin

Yep! The weather has been screwed up for ages so we just have to put up with what we are getting! lol (It could be worst!) Biggrin

6 448
 07-07-2012, 12:28 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
07/07/2012, Saturday, Everyone have a great weekend.

Featured Products for Today:

Proraso glycerin
Semogue 1460
Chelsea's Garden Kathmandu
Gillette OC
Dorco
Two passes only to achieve a superior DFS

1 3,507
 07-07-2012, 12:31 PM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
Saturday July 7

Razor: Star DE
Blade: Supermax Super Platinum
Brush: Marvy Boar
Lather: Palmolive Shave Stick
A/S: Alum, Aloe Vera gel

DFS. I forgot to bring a brush on my trip so I picked up a cheapo boar brush (Marvy). It did the job, but it was a huge step down from my new Semogue Sad

0 913
 07-07-2012, 01:59 PM
  • Sargon
  • St. Louis, Missouri
User Info
Saturday
Brush: Vie-Long Horse
Soap/Creme: Proraso Sandalwood
Razor: Valet Autostrop VC1
Blade:Gem Stainless
Pre: 3p
Hair Groom: Gables Rose Oil
Result: CCS

1 189
 07-07-2012, 03:04 PM
User Info
SOTD Saturday July 7, 2012
[Image: SOTD-070712.jpg]
Prep: Tepid Water Shower, Brush soaking in hot water
Razor: 1930's Gillette NEW Short Comb mounted on an Ikon Bulldog Handle
Blade: Rapira
Brush: Vie-Long Butterscotch Beehive LE Brush in Natural Horse Hair
Soap: Tabac Original, hot water on puck.
Cream: TSD Wheat Cream, Sandalwoood
AS: Aqua Velva Musk
Post: Cold Water Rinse, Ice cube rub, Second Rinse, Double Splash Of Aftershave.

This has been a great week for goodies. Today my new Vie-Long Butterscotch Beehive Limited Edition Brush in Natural Horse Hair came in from the contest that I won. This is a Limited Edition brush that is made exclusively for BullGoose Shaving Supplies, what ever pictures that you have seen of this brush does not do it justice in person.

I gave the brush a quick wash, built up a lather and let it do a 5 hour quick conditioning before use. After the first wash out, 90% of all odor was gone.

Although I did not need to use a cream with the Tabac, I decided to use about a pea size amount of the TSD Wheat Cream in Sandalwood. First off, I love to build and use an überlather and secondly, with the strong sandalwood scent, I thought that it would be great to for allowing the brush to sit overnight to condition further.

I have the Vie-Long 13800 Horse Hair, the difference between these two brushes is like day and night.

On the new Vie-Long Butterscotch the knot is very soft out of the box. I could have used this with nothing more than a quick wash.

The weigth and beehive shape of the handle really make for a nice feel in my hand, I can easily see this brush becoming my go to brush.

The brush build a nice lather as you can see from the picture, more than enough on the brush to do three passes, and about another two passes worth of lather in the bowl.

The hair felt very smooth and nice on my face, not as much scritch as one might expect from a horse hair brush. It has a lot more backbone than my much loved vintage Stanley Badger, while the loft is almost as soft.

This is the second shave with this freshly replated Short Comb NEW. I really forgot how much I loved this razor. Two passes and very little buffing, and I had close to a BBS.

I am liking the Rapira Blades a lot. Although they are not as smooth as the SuperMax Super Platinum, I found that the second shave on this blade was even smoother than the first.

It was a great shave today.

5 833
 07-07-2012, 03:11 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
That's very nice Arley.

186 25,797
 07-07-2012, 05:09 PM
User Info
Razor: EJ89