10-16-2015, 10:03 PM
User Info
Gentlemen, what opinion on these knots separately, and in comparison of these two knots in particular?

What your choice?

3 295
 10-17-2015, 04:41 AM
User Info
TGN HMW is very plush, but has very, very little backbone.  Loft is very critical with the HMW - too high and it's a floppy mop and too low you get very little splay.  

Shavemac's D01 2-Band is also very plush.  When it comes to backbone, unlike TGN's HMW, D01 2-Band has substantial backbone.  The knot is very scrubby.  I've read posts that report the user experiencing a light trace of scritch.  My only D01 2-Band is an Extreme Flat Top and it has absolutely no scritch.  I think loft is very critical with D01 2-band - too low and the knot would be brutal to use.  With the amount of backbone this knot has. . .I'm not sure if too high would be a factor.  

Choice?  Hard choice to make - a personal preference thing.  I want to say, "Get both," as you get to experience polar opposites and you can't have too many brushes.  lol  But, if you're limited to one. . . .Shavemac.

8 148
 10-17-2015, 06:18 AM
User Info
(10-17-2015, 04:41 AM)Gigster Wrote: TGN HMW is very plush, but has very, very little backbone.  Loft is very critical with the HMW - too high and it's a floppy mop and too low you get very little splay.  

Shavemac's D01 2-Band is also very plush.  When it comes to backbone, unlike TGN's HMW, D01 2-Band has substantial backbone.  The knot is very scrubby.  I've read posts that report the user experiencing a light trace of scritch.  My only D01 2-Band is an Extreme Flat Top and it has absolutely no scritch.  I think loft is very critical with D01 2-band - too low and the knot would be brutal to use.  With the amount of backbone this knot has. . .I'm not sure if too high would be a factor.  

Choice?  Hard choice to make - a personal preference thing.  I want to say, "Get both," as you get to experience polar opposites and you can't have too many brushes.  lol  But, if you're limited to one. . . .Shavemac.

Thanks Jeff.

3 295
 10-17-2015, 08:13 AM
User Info
These two knots are quite different in feel and, especially, in price.
As Jeff has stated above, the Shavemac D-01 2-Band will probably have the strongest backbone of any hair you will find.

What are you looking for in a knot?

82 21,056
 10-17-2015, 09:55 PM
User Info
(10-17-2015, 08:13 AM)celestino Wrote: These two knots are quite different in feel and, especially, in price.
As Jeff has stated above, the Shavemac D-01 2-Band will probably have the strongest backbone of any hair you will find.

What are you looking for in a knot?
I have a Simpson chubby 1 for face lathering, and want to buy a brush for a bowl.

Thanks for the answer, I decided to order Shavemac Silvertip D01, 2-Band.

3 295
 10-18-2015, 07:47 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
I have both and yes they are extremely different. Firstly I face lather. The shave make D-01 2 band has enough backbone to rival an Oak Tree, it gives a great scrub has soft tips but has very little latitude in the bending department. My TGN HMW 3 band is 24 x 50 has a lot more flexibility but has enough backbone to give a beautiful soft scrub (a little more scrub then a silvertip 3 band) but not the same scrub as a M&F blonde. The tips of the TGN is extremely soft. What i have found though is the the TGN HMW does not quite load up as well (and I load up) as Shavemac, M&F, Rooney and TGN finest. To be fair I load up for 4-5 lathers

50 412