10-17-2015, 11:35 AM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
I seen a kama with yellow handle for 20$. WM Elliot with black handles with what looks like mother of pearl it's 20$ too. They look in good shape real good. What would be the best one to get and send off the get honed and maybe cleaned up a little bit.

5 527
 10-17-2015, 08:03 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I don't know the value of either, and condition is everything. I'd choose the one with the least amount of rust/damage/honewear, assuming it was 6/8 or larger. The reasons can be found in the link below, which I agree with as being pretty solid advice. MHO.

http://www.maggardrazors.com/why-you-sho...-restored/

2 1,695
 10-19-2015, 07:53 AM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
If in an antique shop near to you, inspect carefully and buy if you like one or bothat that price,they are cheap for a 9/16ths or wider razor.
Beware of MOP that is a plastic not the real thing. It is a celluloid and can out-gas acid fumes which destroy a razor once it starts to deteriorate. Otherwise, both razors could be a good buy at that price. If the MOP celluloid has not gone bad, new scales can be made for a good blade.
Some less than ethical sellers polish the fine misty rust from a razor that has already started to go bad.
Do a google search for celluloid rot and look at the illustrations/images.
~Richard

8 1,194