10-18-2015, 01:27 AM
User Info
It is simple. I will try loading my beard with the puck of Mystic Water soap and then face lather from there. I am simply skipping the tub loading and will make the lather right off of the face.

For those of you that have tried this method with MW, I have seen some say that a brush with painting ability and ease with the knot release is a easy way to build the rich, smooth lather quality.

Should I be looking at my 2 bands or 3 bands?

I have variety of grades in each type. TGN 2 Band, MF Finest 2 band, MF Blonde Badger 2 Band, Chinese (High Quality) 2 Band, TGN HMW 3 Band, Plisson HMW 3 Band, Vie Long Silvertip 3 Band, Chinese (High Quality) HMW 3 Band.

High lofts or lower lofts? I am someone who knows what a brush with backbone feels like but really enjoy a high lofted knot with medium density.

Bulb shapes or fan shapes? I have a fan shaped majority in the den but have been including a few new bulb shape brushes into the rotation recently.

Dense knot or looser packed knot? I have quite a few 2 bands that are medium or below in density and offer little resistance and splay easily. I prefer to use those with an entirely full loading of soap in the knot.

Thanks for checking out my questions.

Cheers

79 1,341
 10-18-2015, 02:18 AM
User Info
Zac, synthetic brushes work well with MW soaps since they easily pick up soap, have relatively high lofts, and release lather well. Having learned this lesson, I have now ordered brushes with higher lofts that allow a better paintbrush motion and hence, enables the lather to thicken more easily. So, you need a good backbone badger brush with a loft over, say 52mm, and not too dense.

31 5,293
 10-18-2015, 03:10 AM
User Info
I think you should wait for Celestinos reply. 
He is the biggest MW fan and arguably an expert in this area  Smile

24 5,972
 10-18-2015, 04:19 AM
User Info
(10-18-2015, 02:18 AM)Optometrist Wrote: Zac, synthetic brushes work well with MW soaps since they easily pick up soap, have relatively high lofts, and release lather well. Having learned this lesson, I have now ordered brushes with higher lofts that allow a better paintbrush motion and hence, enables the lather to thicken more easily. So, you need a good backbone badger brush with a loft over, say 52mm, and not too dense.

+1

21 1,175
 10-18-2015, 04:24 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
My experience with MW and badger brushes:

Fan knot
Higher loft
Medium density

Thater 2-band fan
MF/Rooney Heritage

These work best for me with MW.

That being said, with a little practice, virtually any badger brush works with almost any great soap.

102 18,653
 10-18-2015, 05:07 AM
User Info
Any brush works. Jus USE ENOUGH PRODUCT.

18 654
 10-18-2015, 06:03 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(10-18-2015, 05:07 AM)GloryUprising Wrote: Any brush works. Jus USE ENOUGH PRODUCT.

That has been my experience with all the creams and soaps I have used for face lathering. I would just use a brush that I liked.

Bob

0 1,694
 10-18-2015, 10:23 AM
User Info
(10-18-2015, 04:24 AM)Agravic Wrote: That being said, with a little practice, virtually any badger brush works with almost any great soap.

Zac, what Ravi has stated is my only advice to you. Just choose a brush you like, no matter which one, the start face-lathering once you rub the puck on your face.
The main thing is to get enough soap on your face, then spend more time lathering as you'll need to hydrate the soap and work it enough to get the lather you want.
I have been using Mystic Water in shave-stick form for almost two years, now, and it is my preferred method as it just allows for more time to face-lathering, which I really enjoy.

Be aware, that if you use enough water, you may find your lather a bit dry/sticky on your first pass. You really need to add enough water, incrementally, to hydrate it, properly.
Having said this, depending on the size of your brush/knot, you will have to adjust the time it takes to generate a proper lather.
My larger and denser brushes take a bit longer for me, but nothing significantly.

Good luck and if you need any further assistance, just PM me and we can do a correspondence via Skype if you would like. Smile

83 21,081
 10-19-2015, 11:27 PM
User Info
(10-18-2015, 04:24 AM)Agravic Wrote: My experience with MW and badger brushes:

Fan knot
Higher loft
Medium density

Thater 2-band fan
MF/Rooney Heritage

These work best for me with MW.

That being said, with a little practice, virtually any badger brush works with almost any great soap.

I had good luck with a Morris an Forndran larger size L7 2 Band. It was nice to paint with but was able to load like a champ.

I do have a couple fan shaped knots that should suit pursuing this soap. Wondering if the fan shaped knots can whipping the lather up and help incorporate the water fast than the bulb.

79 1,341
 10-20-2015, 07:51 AM
User Info
In no time at all, you'll be using any brush that you want to lather this soap. Thumbsup

83 21,081
 10-21-2015, 05:15 AM
User Info
(10-20-2015, 07:51 AM)celestino Wrote: In no time at all, you'll be using any brush that you want to lather this soap. Thumbsup

+1.  I've been using MW exclusively for about a month now, and I feel I've reached semi-pro status as far as lathering MW is concerned Biggrin.  A few months ago I struggled during my first several attempts with samples and gave up on the the soap for a while.  When I revisited it recently I bloomed the soap and used a dry synthetic brush to start loading, and had great success doing it that way.  As I got more comfortable with it I started using a slightly wet synthetic (squeezed and shaken) and the loading process got even quicker and easier.  This week I've "graduated" to using a Shavemac 2-band silvertip, and I spend even less time loading or building lather.  I really don't have to give it a second thought or "special treatment" anymore at this point. 

I just ordered another Shavemac 2-band silvertip in a fan shaped knot, and I look forward to seeing if I can reduce my lather building time even further after reading others say the fan should help speed the process a bit.

10 407
 10-21-2015, 09:45 AM
User Info
Jeremy, it is great to have seen your progress with this soap and, now, to see how much you enjoy and appreciate it. Thumbup

83 21,081
 10-21-2015, 10:11 AM
User Info
(10-21-2015, 09:45 AM)celestino Wrote: Jeremy, it is great to have seen your progress with this soap and, now, to see how much you enjoy and appreciate it. Thumbup

I'm glad this forum has members who hold it in such high regard, because if not I likely never would have revisited it again.  So thank you and the others.

10 407
 10-21-2015, 10:18 AM
User Info
(10-21-2015, 10:11 AM)molon_labe Wrote:
(10-21-2015, 09:45 AM)celestino Wrote: Jeremy, it is great to have seen your progress with this soap and, now, to see how much you enjoy and appreciate it. Thumbup

I'm glad this forum has members who hold it in such high regard, because if not I likely never would have revisited it again.  So thank you and the others.

Congratulations, Jeremy. Thumbup

31 5,293
 10-21-2015, 10:37 AM
User Info
(10-21-2015, 10:18 AM)Optometrist Wrote:
(10-21-2015, 10:11 AM)molon_labe Wrote:

Congratulations, Jeremy. Thumbup
You too, David.  Both of us struggled with it for a while.  Didn't you also send a sample of your water to Celestino?

10 407
 10-21-2015, 10:37 AM
User Info
(10-21-2015, 10:11 AM)molon_labe Wrote: I'm glad this forum has members who hold it in such high regard, because if not I likely never would have revisited it again.  So thank you and the others.

It was my pleasure, my friend! Shy

Yes, David did send me a sample of his water and it was my very first experiment! Biggrin

83 21,081
 10-21-2015, 11:59 AM
User Info
(10-21-2015, 10:37 AM)molon_labe Wrote: You too, David.  Both of us struggled with it for a while.  Didn't you also send a sample of your water to Celestino?

Thanks, Jeremy and yes, mine was a good couple of years of intermittent use. Blush It was well worth the persistence, however.

31 5,293