07-01-2012, 03:25 AM
User Info
I use mouthwash every day. I started with Listerine many years ago, and then on the advice of my dentist, I moved away from the alcohol-containing mouthwashes.

Over the years, I've tried them all - Listerine, Scope, etc. Apart from the alcohol thing, I had issues with two aspects of 'big-box' mouthwashes:

1) They are all cloyingly sweet
2) They all have crazy added colours (what's the point?)

In my search for an alternative mouthwash, I tried some of the more common 'natural' mouthwashes - Toms, etc. Some were strangely flavoured, and I didn't like them all.

One that I did like is the J/A/S/O/N Sea Fresh mouthwash.

[Image: 41RJV9W10EL._SS500_.jpg]

It is pretty economical - $7.40 for 16 oz, but it gets better, as it's supplied in a 2x concentrated form, so you're actually getting 32 oz of mouthwash.

The ingredient list doesn't have most of the stuff I object to.

Aqua (Water), Glycerin (Vege), Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit Seed Extract), Dead Sea Salt, Calcium Ascorbate, Zinc Ascorbate, Ascorbate Acid, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel Extract), Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera Extract), Sodium Bicarbonate, Perilla Frutescens Japanica (Perilla Seed Extract), Menthol, Polysorbate 20, Mentha Viridis (Spearmint Oil), Hydrastis Canadensis (Golden Seal), Echinacea Angustifolia (Echinacea), Calendula Officinalis (Calendula)

However, it also doesn't have fluoride, which is the only active ingredient in dental hygiene products. So it really only functions as a mouth-freshener.

Still, I only drink tap-water, which provides me with my fluoride. Smile

This product really works well as a mouthwash - it leaves my mouth feeling fresh and clean and there's no alcohol or cloyingly sweet taste.

I really like it and I'm glad I tried it.

37 1,731
 07-01-2012, 10:06 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Yohann do you know why the alcohol based ones are bad?

45 3,955
 07-01-2012, 11:31 AM
User Info
Travis -

There have been a few research articles published that link long-term alcohol-containing mouthwash use and oral cancer. This is disputed research, but I think dentists suggest not using them just for safety. The point is that there's no real good reason to have it in there.

37 1,731
 07-02-2012, 09:53 AM
User Info
i have to agree with Yohann and suggest using parsley or fresh mint which will do just as good a job.

75 20,883
 07-02-2012, 10:32 AM
User Info
I am not a dentist nor do i disagree with any of the above... However, i believe the original use for the alcohol was to kill germs and bacteria that lives in the mouth, which is whats missing from your Jason product.

9 333
 07-02-2012, 11:36 AM
User Info
Like you, Noah, I'm not a dentist. I've read that the amount of alcohol in commercial mouthwashes is not enough to work as a disinfectant. In fact, Wikipedia (if you believe what's written there) indicates that the alcohol is added to carry the flavour and provide the bite (that a lot of people equate with the mouthwash 'working') - not that it acts as an antibacterial agent.

My dentist told me in no uncertain terms that the alcohol was added to make people feel that the mouthwash was doing the job, and that it had no actual positive use (which is why he suggested that I use mouthwashes that don't contain alcohol).

It seems that the essential oils (like menthol) have antibacterial properties. I have no idea what concentrations of menthol would actually be useful, of course.

37 1,731
 07-02-2012, 11:40 AM
User Info
AH! I suppose you are correct that it provides the bite that I equate with "working"!!!! Interesting thread Yohann. Ive been using Listerine forever and will look into Non- Alcohol product going forward.

9 333
 07-02-2012, 11:51 AM
User Info
Here's a link to the Wikipedia article on mouthwash: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouthwash. I'm not saying that everything written in there is true, of course. Still, it gives a starting point for research on this topic.

I found it amusing to read that alcohol could worsen chronic bad breath.

In commercial mouthwashes, the primary antibacterial agent is cetylpiridinium chloride.

37 1,731
 07-02-2012, 12:58 PM
  • PAW
  • Wet Shaver Addict
  • Illinois
User Info
Where did you ger the mouthwash?

0 197
 07-02-2012, 01:00 PM
User Info
Yohann can answer for himself, but I can almost guarantee Wholefoods would carry Jason Mouthwash.

9 333
 07-02-2012, 03:08 PM
User Info
I got mine online (from Vitacost), but I know that the Whole Foods around here carry it. Amazon is a good source.

37 1,731
 07-04-2012, 10:08 PM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
I use Listerine mixed with Lavoris mint.The listerine has all the herbal goodies in it and the Lavoris cuts down the burn.I pop a little in my mouth and then brush my teeth with the wash still in there.I usually have very little work done when I go in for cleanings twice a year.

0 274
 07-05-2012, 06:26 PM
User Info
I use Plax mint, which contains alcohol. A dentist once remarked how little plaque there was on my teeth. When I mentioned that I used Plax, he said every patient of his who used Plax had very clean teeth. My current dentist noted that some children's dentists recommend the use of Plax. Since it got the thumbs up, from two dentists, that is good enough for me. The mint flavor is not overly sweet, at least not to me. Plax also comes in an original flavor, which is medicinal rather than sweet.

0 303
 10-03-2012, 01:36 PM
User Info
let me put my 2 cents in here. this is what i do and have done. i usually mix half H2O2 with my mouthwash. then a quick plain water rinse. or i just use H2O2 straight and rinse that out with warm water.

0 189
 10-03-2012, 01:49 PM
User Info
I went three years without a cleaning. All I did was brush my teeth after every meal and floss.

Perfect teeth. A little inflamed at the gum line, but otherwise perfect.

I also took painstakingly good care of my teeth because I had invisalign orthodontics and if you don't clean your teeth well, stuff grows quickly.

9 2,988
 11-26-2012, 08:41 AM
User Info
The best mouthwash & teeth whitener that your money can buy is 'hydrogen peroxide' imvho.
It can usually be found inside your local pharmacy right next to the rubbing alcohol (in the brown bottle).
After flossing, simply mix an equal mixture of (1/2 water & 1/2 hydrogen peroxide)then rinse/gargle as a mouthwash and then brush your teeth with your favorite toothpaste of choice afterwards.
This mixture is also an excellent way to clean out the wax buld up from inside of your ears.
It bubbles and fizzes and it 'works'. Idea

0 17
 01-31-2013, 12:47 AM
User Info
Rocco, I use hydrogen peroxide, too.

47 1,270
 02-06-2013, 07:48 PM
User Info
I use Floris Rose concentrated mouthwash.

0 500
 02-06-2013, 11:02 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I had heard that Listerine was originally developed as a floor cleaner, but I need to find a reliable source for this information. It sold better when it was re-marketed as a mouthwash.

I just brush and floss. As for killing bacteria in your mouth, you won't kill it off for long. You need bacteria in your mouth anyway; some of it is beneficial for oral health. If you have an infection, that's a different matter, of course. Then you need to see an oral hygienist.

As for bad breath, that's usually stomach and digestive tract related (or exceedingly poor dental/gum hygiene). Diluted hydrogen peroxide is useful, and cheap. Best thing for digestive-related bad breath is two tablespoons of natural yoghurt each day for a fortnight, then keep it up. Works very well.

0 1,621
 02-09-2013, 07:06 PM
User Info
I have seen that listerine was a floor cleaner in my old marketing text. Here is the wiki http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Listerine

Sent from my Amaze 4G

1 67