10-19-2015, 08:18 AM
User Info
Can someone explain the theory/concept behind the OC ATT plates?  All other OC's I've used had the blade resting on the comb/base. This made it look like it would be too mild, but they usually shave very well. The ATT OC have a "blade gap" similar to regular straight bar or safety bar styles -- essentially the 1 & 2 series look like the same base but the 2's have a scalloped edge to create the comb "look". I'm not saying it's bad, but if someone could explain to me how the 2's actually differ from the 1's (other than appearance) I'm really interested to know. Thanks.

14 153
 10-19-2015, 08:45 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Hey TAB, not sure if I fully understand what you are asking but I do have ATT 1&2 base plates.

The blade seating is similar between them but face feel is quite different between the two.

Comparing an R1 vs. R2 I find the optimum shave angle to be very slightly different as well but not by much.

Other than that, the typical OC/SB differences apply.

2 1,180
 10-19-2015, 11:08 AM
User Info
Tab,

There had to be a blade gap in the other DE razors you used. It would be impossible to cut hair, otherwise.

Quote:essentially the 1 & 2 series look like the same base but the 2's have a scalloped edge to create the comb "look".

The scallops are the divots found on the standard bar / closed comb plates... All the #1 descriptors of ATT plates. The comb look is: Open Comb.. All the #2 ATT plates.

Theoretically: Open Combs: Allows more lather present at the time of actual hair cutting / Funnels groups of hair between the teeth, leading to "more effective" cutting.

It's believed Open Combs are "more aggressive than Standard Bar heads/plates, all things being equal. A greatly debated issue.

0 120
 10-19-2015, 10:22 PM
User Info
I haven't analysed them that much, but can tell you: the M2 gives me a closer shave than the M1. The R1 and R2 give a very similar shave (closeness) but the R2 feels for me very harsh on the face - but of course YMMV

7 882
 10-22-2015, 08:37 AM
User Info
I wish I had the camera EQ to show what I'm talking about. 

With the Merkur OC, Gillette NEW, etc. the blade rests on the OC/baseplate. With the ATT, the blade only comes in contact with the baseplate under the head (similar to regular safety bar razors, i.e. Merkur HD). The blade does not contact the "comb" on the ATT like it does with other OC's. Does that make sense without images?

14 153
 10-22-2015, 08:46 AM
User Info
 10-22-2015, 08:50 AM
User Info
 10-22-2015, 02:30 PM
User Info
(10-22-2015, 08:50 AM)TAB Wrote: [Image: Po8itxw.jpg]

it's a myth that oc razors are supposed to have the blade resting on the baseplate without a blade gap.  that's the the bottom line.  i mean sure, the 1904 has no gap.  the new has very little. the New deluxe had a pretty good sized gap, and the new improved has an even larger one. 
so I guess the point is that it was never a principle of open comb razors to not have a blade gap.

2 1,387