10-19-2015, 12:13 PM
User Info
Gents,
I have just purchased my first Gillette Fatboy (D3). While it's not yet in my hands, I would like some advice as to cleaning, polishing and maintenance. What are the recommended products for such and any tips you might be willing to share to prolong its life. Thanks in advance and I am looking forward to posting some SOTD pictures with my newest acquisition in the very near future.

39 3,919
 10-19-2015, 12:22 PM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
I wondered who snagged that! Great grab Primo and I hope you enjoy.

I go through a heavy cleaning on receipt of vintage razors just to remove any "gunk" from previous owners and ensure sterilized.

Beyond that, the Gillette adjustables are just about indestructible from my experience.

Unless refinished, I don't polish but if you wanted to you could get some MAAS or a polishing cloth (has polishing compound embedded) to clean things up. I typically don't bother as mentioned because even the cleanest vintage is rarely mint and will have some minor brassing etc.

Otherwise- enjoy in great health!

2 1,180
 10-19-2015, 12:29 PM
User Info
(10-19-2015, 12:22 PM)kwsher Wrote: I wondered who snagged that! Great grab Primo and I hope you enjoy.

I go through a heavy cleaning on receipt of vintage razors just to remove any "gunk" from previous owners and ensure sterilized.

Beyond that, the Gillette adjustables are just about indestructible from my experience.

Unless refinished, I don't polish but if you wanted to you could get some MAAS or a polishing cloth (has polishing compound embedded) to clean things up. I typically don't bother as mentioned because even the cleanest vintage is rarely mint and will have some minor brassing etc.  

Thanks!
Is Isopropyl alcohol ok for cleaning/sterilizing? Need I invest in Barbicide? I have read that lubricating with mineral oil occasionally is good. I am pretty much in the dark because up until now, I have used 3 piece DE razors exclusively. They are child's play to maintain.

39 3,919
 10-19-2015, 01:25 PM
User Info
(10-19-2015, 12:29 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(10-19-2015, 12:22 PM)kwsher Wrote: I wondered who snagged that! Great grab Primo and I hope you enjoy.

Thanks!
Is Isopropyl alcohol ok for cleaning/sterilizing? Need I invest in Barbicide? I have read that lubricating with mineral oil occasionally is good. I am pretty much in the dark because up until now, I have used 3 piece DE razors exclusively. They are child's play to maintain.

I posted a thread about how often people lube their adjust ables recently and it turned into whether or not it is  nnecessary.  The answers varied but in my opinion any machine with moving parts made of metal needs to be cleaned and lubed. As to how often I still don't know. I'm thinking maybe quarterly. I use ballistol on all things metal that need cleaning and lubing [mostly my firefirearms but it also works gregreat as aleather conditiiner.  GGod luck with th e fatboy.

90 899
 10-19-2015, 01:30 PM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(10-19-2015, 12:29 PM)primotenore Wrote:

Thanks!

Sure thing Primo- I have and do use alcohol to sterilize with no ill effect and don't have Barbicide. Per Chrome, there is debate re: lube. I don't lube any of my adjustables and have had no issue. Doubt it would hurt and would likely use mineral oil if I did.

2 1,180
 10-19-2015, 01:34 PM
User Info
Then there is always an ultra-sonic cleaning.  Amazing what gets revealed when used.  It will remove your painted surfaces.  "You must crack the egg to make the souffle".  A little mild polish works wonders.  
   Good luck and enjoy this heirloom classic.  
      .g

5 14
 10-19-2015, 01:36 PM
User Info
I've seen a video on YouTube about disassembling a Fatboy.
It seemed quite difficult.
Thus I soaked in barbicide instead.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 MI PAD 發送

2 122
 10-19-2015, 02:15 PM
User Info
Primo,

The Razor Emporium has great videos "How to do" . Enjoy your new razor !

Lorenzo.

29 1,084
 10-21-2015, 10:28 AM
User Info
2 Questions:
When closing the doors, how tightly do you turn? Just until the doors close? A bit more? 
Adjusting the blade exposure...with doors closed?
You can see that I am a Fatboy newbie.
Thanks for the help.
BTW, here is a pic.
[Image: vQsKTru.jpg]

39 3,919
 10-21-2015, 10:41 AM
User Info
Primo, I usually give it a moderately tight turn to close the doors, fully. Nothing overly, though.

83 21,077
 10-21-2015, 11:08 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Primo, congrats on the new razor. I usually adjust with the doors open only by force of habit. I don't think it makes a difference to be honest although many think it may strain the mechanism. All the old manuals I have seen don't indicate it necessary though.

One final consideration as you close the doors. There is a 1/4 lock once closed to ensure it is fully secured.

Enjoy!

2 1,180
 10-21-2015, 11:10 AM
User Info
(10-21-2015, 11:08 AM)kwsher Wrote: Primo, congrats on the new razor. I usually adjust with the doors open only by force of habit. I don't think it makes a difference to be honest although many think it may strain the mechanism. All the old manuals I have seen don't indicate it necessary though.

One final consideration as you close the doors. There is a 1/4 lock once closed to ensure it is fully secured.

Enjoy!

Signs011  +1

16 1,937
 10-21-2015, 12:23 PM
User Info
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am feeling like this could be the start of Vintage RAD... Blush

39 3,919
 10-22-2015, 08:26 AM
User Info
 10-22-2015, 09:25 AM
User Info
Change the oil every six months or five shaves which ever comes first. Use only 1.4ml synthetic straight 40 weight oil as recommended by the Gillette service manual. Seriously, you're over thinking it. There is nothing you need to do beyond common sense.

18 713
 10-22-2015, 11:15 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
(10-22-2015, 09:25 AM)fram773 Wrote: Change the oil every six months or five shaves which ever comes first. Use only 1.4ml synthetic straight 40 weight oil as recommended by the Gillette service manual. Seriously, you're over thinking it. There is nothing you need to do beyond common sense.

+1 
The youngest Fatboys are now what 54 years old?  and most work fine with just a little cleaning/soaking in dishsoap.  Nobody was sitting around for the last 5 decades greasing up their fatties so you could obtain one.   They have survived mostly because they don't require maintenance other than a good rinse and maybe a scrub with an old toothbrush.  I don't think that an aggressive ultrasonic cleaning schedule or anything other than a drop of foodsafe mineral oil is even advisable, much less required.   And I've had a number of Fatboys, a couple Slims, several Super Adjustables, going back to starting to shave with one in the early sixties, use one Fatboy regularly at home and have one in my Dopp as a travel razor, so I know a little of what I speak..

44 473
 10-27-2015, 10:25 AM
User Info
several cleaning options.
1.  Dawn dish soap and VERY hot water; let stand 30 minutes and rinse
2.  Scrubbing Bubbles (no bleach foam).  cover with foam, let sit 5-10 minutes and rinse
3.  A good ultrasonic cleaner with heated bath.  you may need several 4-6 minutes runs and you may be amazed at what comes out of an externally clean razor.  I've done several and haven't had any problems with the painted numbers coming off Fatboys, red dot fatboy and bottom dial fatboy.

A properly functioning Fatboy should easily close and, depending on your number setting, have a firmer 1/8 to 1/3 further turn to really tighten the blade down.  If your razor does NOT behave like this, you may be a candidate for option 3 above since that problem suggests it is gunked up inside and, short of disassembling the razor, ultrasonic cleaners is the next best option.

Captain Murphy on the "other" forum says he sees no problem with changing number settings with the head tightened down, or not.  I always loosen my head a little before changing settings as it adjusts more easily.

When the head is fully tightened down, the adjuster dial should be much firmer/tighter/more difficult to move than otherwise.  If yours changes settings easily when fully tightened down, see option 3 above or take it apart.  Something isn't quite right.

3 74
 10-27-2015, 11:05 AM
User Info
The only time I ever went over board on cleaning my fatboy and slim was when I first purchased them . Since then just a rinse and a wipe and ever so often a scrub with a soft tooth brush.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 748
 10-27-2015, 11:11 AM
User Info
(10-27-2015, 10:25 AM)mikemullin6 Wrote: several cleaning options.
2.  Scrubbing Bubbles (no bleach foam).  cover with foam, let sit 5-10 minutes and rinse
3.  A good ultrasonic cleaner with heated bath.  you may need several 4-6 minutes runs and you may be amazed at what comes out of an externally clean razor.  I've done several and haven't had any problems with the painted numbers coming off Fatboys, red dot fatboy and bottom dial fatboy.

A properly functioning Fatboy should easily close and, depending on your number setting, have a firmer 1/8 to 1/3 further turn to really tighten the blade down.  If your razor does NOT behave like this, you may be a candidate for option 3 above since that problem suggests it is gunked up inside and, short of disassembling the razor, ultrasonic cleaners is the next best option.

Captain Murphy on the "other" forum says he sees no problem with changing number settings with the head tightened down, or not.  I always loosen my head a little before changing settings as it adjusts more easily.

When the head is fully tightened down, the adjuster dial should be much firmer/tighter/more difficult to move than otherwise.  If yours changes settings easily when fully tightened down, see option 3 above or take it apart.  Something isn't quite right.
Thank you Mike and thank you to everyone else who responded seriously to my inquiry. My Fatboy exhibits none of the problems. Indeed, it looks and functions great. I was inquiring because I would like to pass my classic razors on to my son someday and have them function as they did when they were manufactured. [Image: thanks.gif]

39 3,919
 10-27-2015, 11:16 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
(10-27-2015, 10:25 AM)mikemullin6 Wrote: several cleaning options.

.............where did you purchase the ultrasonic cleaner?   and what model would be good to clean razors?
............i think i need to acquire one.............

46 1,066