User Info
I got this little brush last week. 
First impressions:
It is very nicely made. 
Densly packed. 
No boar funk whatsoever (very odd). 
Some hairs are split. 
Nice handle, comfy but not overly so. 
The backbone is very, very stiff. Even more than the omega 10077. It needs a lengthy soak to be useable. 

So far 2 shaves and 3 lathers.  All with either 48 dry time or 24 hours but in direct intense sunlight during the day. It gets dry. 

Face feel is mehh. Very stiff, acceptable scrub and minimal splay, which makes it feel small. 

This brush has a lot of fans. Right now I don't see it but I am aware it needs a good deal of breaking in. I will update this thread as it progresses. 

For those who own one: at what point did this brush feel it was "opening up"?
I saw a few photos of this model in "full Semogue bloom". Does it splay better at that point?

Cheers,
   Erez

November 6 update:
------------------------
8 shaves every other day and I must say it is coming along very nicely. 

First pass is very good: good splay with good backbone. 

Second pass is a bit scrubby, still. 

I even started to like the handle ergonomics.

6 863
 10-19-2015, 03:21 PM
User Info
I've had 2 Semogues so far and no funk here either. Not sure if they clean them first or what, but it's been a nice thing not to have to deal with Smile

16 1,027
 10-19-2015, 06:21 PM
User Info
I have had quite a few Semogue boars and I have never felt that they had TOO much backbone, especially, when they were well-used. I just find that they splay too much for my liking.
Most of mine took approximately 2-4 weeks to fully 'open up' and break-in.
Good luck.

83 21,115
 10-20-2015, 02:06 AM
User Info
Big 620 fan here. I regard it as the ace of my staff (I haven't seen fit to drop more than $50 on any brush, that being the Simpson's Berkeley 46 in Best).

Love the backbone. Love the size. Love the feel now that it's nicely broken in.

If I were told I had to use one brush alone, I'd be well content with this one.

8 951
 10-22-2015, 11:50 AM
User Info
I've owned several 620s and a 610.  I found them all to be "useable" after about 5 or 6 uses, in that I could generate enough lather for 3 passes and a cleanup.  After about 2 weeks of daily use they were more enjoyable, and after a month they are probably 85-90% broken in.  I think the 48 hour drying time between uses is over rated, if you want to speed up the break in process just do a palm lather with them every night to expedite.  Definitely my favorite production boar brush though.

10 407
 10-22-2015, 12:43 PM
User Info
(10-22-2015, 11:50 AM)molon_labe Wrote: ...  I think the 48 hour drying time between uses is over rated, if you want to speed up the break in process just do a palm lather with them every night to expedite.  ...

I respectfully disagree. Many years ago, I started with a single boar brush, just like my grandfather was using. I was unsatisfied with the lather and shave. This was before "traditional wet shaving" really became a modern fad, but there was some information about breaking in brushes. I also discovered badger brushes because of this.   Once I had a badger brush, I mainly used it, reverting to the boar every third or fourth shave just to give the badger a break. Without realizing (or caring) the boar was really breaking in. You could argue it was the number of uses and not the fact it was drying completely, but it seemed to make much more progress when it dried out completely. I've followed the same protocol for subsequent boars.

14 154
 10-22-2015, 01:30 PM
User Info
(10-22-2015, 12:43 PM)TAB Wrote:
(10-22-2015, 11:50 AM)molon_labe Wrote: ...  I think the 48 hour drying time between uses is over rated, if you want to speed up the break in process just do a palm lather with them every night to expedite.  ...

I respectfully disagree. Many years ago, I started with a single boar brush, just like my grandfather was using. I was unsatisfied with the lather and shave. This was before "traditional wet shaving" really became a modern fad, but there was some information about breaking in brushes. I also discovered badger brushes because of this.   Once I had a badger brush, I mainly used it, reverting to the boar every third or fourth shave just to give the badger a break. Without realizing (or caring) the boar was really breaking in. You could argue it was the number of uses and not the fact it was drying completely, but it seemed to make much more progress when it dried out completely. I've followed the same protocol for subsequent boars.

That has been my experience too. I had a Semogue 830 which I hated but used everyday to try to break in. Sold it after 3 months. I later bought another after seeing that dry cycles where more important. Sure enough in 2-3 weeks it broke in nor than it ever had under 3 months of near daily use.

18 713
 10-22-2015, 02:37 PM
User Info
Interesting. Your comments are quite timely as am breaking in a 820. 
So the advise is to palm-lather every other day?

8 1,210
 10-22-2015, 03:47 PM
User Info
I've broken in 3 620s and a 610 as far as Semogues go. I purposely broke in 2 of the 620s at the same time using both methods because I was testing the recommended "48 hour dry time" requirement to break in a boar. I used the same soap and routine for both throughout, and there was no remarkable difference between the break in period. Both took about 14 uses to make and hold lather to my preferences. 

Maybe it was just my experience.  If you find a method that works better for you I suggest you use that instead.

10 407
 10-22-2015, 04:09 PM
User Info
Thanks!

8 1,210
 10-23-2015, 03:28 PM
User Info
I use a Semogue everyday. The 620 is a great brush. My only requirements for a Semogue is it has to have a 50mm loft. They just splay way to much for face lathering with a higher loft. Use it in good health, it will break in just fine.

[Image: mLgJr9V.jpg]

21 555
 10-24-2015, 03:37 AM
User Info
(10-22-2015, 03:47 PM)molon_labe Wrote: I've broken in 3 620s and a 610 as far as Semogues go. I purposely broke in 2 of the 620s at the same time using both methods because I was testing the recommended "48 hour dry time" requirement to break in a boar. I used the same soap and routine for both throughout, and there was no remarkable difference between the break in period. Both took about 14 uses to make and hold lather to my preferences. 

Maybe it was just my experience.  If you find a method that works better for you I suggest you use that instead.

Hmmm, are you in the northern or southern hemisphere? This would alter the way the bristles dry, thus how it breaks in. 

I'm only kidding -- although I do feel like some of us go off the deep end like that.

As you said, find the way that works the best for you, and that is THE best way. The greater point is, don't give up on boars (and don't let lather dry in the knot overnight -- it just isn't necessary).

14 154
 11-06-2015, 05:55 AM
User Info
8 shaves every other day and I must say it is coming along very nicely. 
First pass is very good: good splay with good backbone. 
Second pass is a bit scrubby, still. 
I even started to like the handle ergonomics.   

I will update again in a couple of weeks.

6 863
 02-06-2016, 01:25 AM
User Info
How long do you guys need to soak this brush for it to be usable? Is cold water soaking okay with this brush?

11 1,170
 02-06-2016, 04:25 AM
User Info
(02-06-2016, 01:25 AM)1Geralt Wrote: How long do you guys need to soak this brush for it to be usable? Is cold water soaking okay with this brush?

I fill sink up and put my shaving bowl & brush in the hot water while i get a shower .. you don't have to soak it any certain length of time for it to be useable and yes if you prefer cold water that will work .. my Semogue 620 is breaking in nice

[Image: 33ZePqg.jpg]

30 461
 02-06-2016, 07:10 AM
User Info
5 minutes. Just to give the bristles a chance to get saturated with water and get flexible. Cold water is fine.

8 1,210
 02-06-2016, 08:09 AM
User Info
I've had an 820 for years.

When wet, I mean well soaked, it's luxurious. It took me a long time to get there. I would say until three months in I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. 

I'm generally a badger fan. I made a point to use it or at least hand lather as often as possible. Now that its got some split ends and a decent amount of miles on it it's a joy to use.

I think the 820 is the same as the 620 but with natural colored bristles. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

The handle is outstanding too. Feels great in the hand and still looks very very nice after years of use in the rotation.

10 1,460
 02-06-2016, 09:35 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I still have 2 Semogue boars left (1470 and 1250) but haven't used either one in months. This thread is making me think of breaking out the 1470, which as I remember had a more pleasing face feel because of the shorter loft.

7 2,379
 02-06-2016, 02:22 PM
User Info
Thanks guys. We don't have hot water on tap, I mostly shave and shower with cold water. I just wanted to make sure I'm not abusing my brushes with my routine. 

I usually just get a small container of cold water and put the brush there for 2-5 mins while I do something else and wait for my soap to bloom and use that as my pre-shave. I don't have my boar brush yet, it's on it's way to me. Just wanted to find out if my current routine will do fine with a boar like with both my Parker Pure Badger and Plissoft synthetic.

11 1,170
 02-06-2016, 09:19 PM
User Info
G'day Nookies,

I've own 3 Semogue brushes a 620, 830 & 1800, any shaving brush product I buy from oversea or local shaving store I always soak and clean the brush to remove any funk smell or any chemicals left over before I used the brush.

Same thing goes with my badger bush I still clean them before used, because IF you don't clean or wash the brush before used and you could end up having a very bad skin rash connected with you're skin type.

Whatever shaving brush you buy from oversea or you're local shaving supply store or anywhere, always soak and clean the brush to remove any funk smell or no funk smell or any chemicals left over before you used the brush otherwise you'll end up having a major skin rash.

It just pure common sense that's all.

Cheers Winky

0 233