07-01-2012, 11:54 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Ok, for starters, here is a snippet from their website:
http://www.doctorsweettooth.com/Handmade...oz-033.htm
Quote:Our 4.5oz shaving soap bars contain soy and wheat proteins that condition skin, allowing the razor to glide across your body for a close, smooth shave.

Size: 4.5oz bar
Paraben Free. Sulfate Free.
Ingredients: Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Safflower Seed Oil, Glycerin (kosher, vegetable), Purified Water, Sodium Hydroxide, Sorbitol, Sorbitan oleate, Soy bean protein, wheat protein.
I put this, because the soapbar itself, does not have the ingredients label
(Note: All photos were gathered by my son, he is a great helper! ... Sharing My Shave!)

Tools: GEM black-handle push-button SE razor loaded with a GEM SS blade, RB#1 scuttle, Shave Secret Oil, RS PB2 brush

Pre: very warm water wash, hot towel, soak brush, Shave Secret Oil

Pass-1
The soap smells excellent, not a powerful sweet smell, but just right. It clearly has a Vanilla scent, and goes well with morning French Roast brew Smile
    it is slick, and loads my brush well, did not take long- maybe 40 seconds at most
    a very creamy texture developed

Pass-1 Continued,
My brush had no problems working in this soap, and generated a rich, creamy lather, the GEM glided effortlessly through my entire shave Smile

YES, plenty of lather left-over    

Pass-2,
moisture is holding well in the lather, even with a very warm water heated scuttle! minor dabs in the sink to hydrate lather
        plenty of lather for next pass...    

review continued, Pass-3
this soap is not drying to my skin, which is a huge plus! (sensitive skin, even more so now that I am past 40)
It does an excellent job painting my face

plenty of stroke magic left in the brush!

If I needed to do another pass, or extended touchup... I have enough cream to assist!

The soap was easy to clean out of my shave brush, and rinsed off my sink basin without much scrubbing!

I recommend trying out one of these shave soaps... I am glad that John ran another Fine PIF! This will be in my rotation, and I will search out other scents from Dr Sweettooth when this bar is gone.

9 1,684
 07-01-2012, 12:51 PM
User Info
Thanks, James. Very good review and pictures.

184 12,003
 07-01-2012, 01:12 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Nice review James. I may have to give this a try someday. If I do, can I borrow your son to take some pictures. Excellent work on his part.

173 23,553
 07-01-2012, 01:19 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi James

Thanks for the review, yet! another artisan soap maker I'd not heard of, but now wish to try...

Doctor Sweet Tooth appear to offer a huge selection of scents, though unfortunately it doesn't look like they offer shaving soap samples, which is a shame as their 'Try Me' Soap Sampler Set offering seems like a really good deal to me (6 x 1oz samples for $14.50 including shipping)

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 07-01-2012, 01:19 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(07-01-2012, 01:12 PM)Johnny Wrote: Nice review James. I may have to give this a try someday. If I do, can I borrow your son to take some pictures. Excellent work on his part.
hehe, if you send me some Spotted Cow you can borrow him! j/k

really though, I am rubbing my face in awe of how soft my skin feels! these seem to be some very fine shaving soaps Cool

... also, please feel free to bring Spotted Cow to the TSN TN users group... whenever we get that meet off the ground!

and to others with young-guys around... remember to Share Your Shaves! (small plug for another thread here in the TSN forums) Wink

9 1,684
 07-01-2012, 01:25 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(07-01-2012, 01:19 PM)gijames Wrote:
(07-01-2012, 01:12 PM)Johnny Wrote: Nice review James. I may have to give this a try someday. If I do, can I borrow your son to take some pictures. Excellent work on his part.
hehe, if you send me some Spotted Cow you can borrow him! j/k

really though, I am rubbing my face in awe of how soft my skin feels! these seem to be some very fine shaving soaps Cool

... also, please feel free to bring Spotted Cow to the TSN TN users group... whenever we get that meet off the ground!

and to others with young-guys around... remember to Share Your Shaves! (small plug for another thread here in the TSN forums) Wink

Don't know about bringing some to TN, but I will drink some in your honor at the July 4th outing I'm going to.Cool

173 23,553