10-20-2015, 06:58 AM
User Info
I recently switched to a badger brush after a time of only using synthetic. The brush was picked up off the BST and I find it more enjoyable to use than a synthetic. I have shaved with it twice and made the same number of test lathers. Each time the brush has shed 3-4 hairs and I'm concerned if this will continue. Any suggestions on stopping or controlling the shedding? This is my only brush and it will get used an average of twice a week since I'm not a daily shaver.
[Image: A1skom3.jpg]

9 202
 10-20-2015, 07:04 AM
User Info
Unless you are just mashing the crap out of it causing the shedding, sometimes it just happens. A lot of brushes will shed some in the beginning and then taper off or stop. Nearly all will lose some hairs early on, do you happen to know if yours had been used before, if it was already broken in? If you are still fairly early on with the break in I'd bet that it will subside. If the shedding continues it really isn't a huge deal for the most part unless it bothers you. It would take quite a long time to notice any performance loss due to the knot getting thin. If the shedding continues and it bothers you, replacing the knot isn't difficult and it allows you to pick attributes you want in a new knot!

43 207
 10-20-2015, 07:19 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Nate is spot on... also would be interesting to note whether the shed hairs are full or broken.

2 1,180
 10-20-2015, 07:25 AM
User Info
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't feel like I'm being rough as I have seen videos of guys completely collapsing the knot flat while lathering and it makes me cringe a little. I came from using a Plisson synthetic which never had a single fiber drop to seeing hairs on my face or soap so it's not the norm for me. The seller said it had seen little use and so hopefully it's a phase that will pass. I may try letting it soak longer to see if it helps. Maybe the hairs are breaking from not getting softened enough before lathering on the puck of soap?

9 202
 10-20-2015, 07:55 AM
User Info
You could always contact the seller to see if they had any issues with the brush, previously, because if you are treating it properly, and you have only used it four times,  then the issue might have already been present.
Try combing the knot gently for a few days to see what happens.
Best of luck.

83 21,115
 10-20-2015, 08:26 AM
User Info
(10-20-2015, 07:55 AM)celestino Wrote: You could always contact the seller to see if they had any issues with the brush, previously, because if you are treating it properly, and you have only used it four times,  then the issue might have already been present.
Best of luck.

I sent him a PM when the brush arrived and mentioned the hairs dropping during the first shave. He stated to let him know if it continues. I don't see it being an issue for the seller if it continues since it is a used brush. Things can happen to items over time without ones knowledge. Could the glue in the knot get weak? Who knows? That's something you can't see.

9 202
 10-20-2015, 08:29 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(10-20-2015, 08:26 AM)KevinD Wrote:
(10-20-2015, 07:55 AM)celestino Wrote: You could always contact the seller to see if they had any issues with the brush, previously, because if you are treating it properly, and you have only used it four times,  then the issue might have already been present.
Best of luck.

I sent him a PM when the brush arrived and mentioned the hairs dropping during the first shave. He stated to let him know if it continues. I don't see it being an issue for the seller if it continues since it is a used brush. Things can happen to items over time without ones knowledge. Could the glue in the knot get weak? Who knows? That's something you can't see.

Depending on where you live, if it was in a post box during extreme heat for an extended period of time I could see that weakening the knot. Extremely hot water as well (you should be able to hold your hand in the water for ~10sec without discomfort as a rule of thumb).

Good luck Kevin.

2 1,180
 10-20-2015, 06:46 PM
User Info
Coincidentally that is still a beautiful handle and knot. Brush I suppose lol. Anyway, I really hope it works itself out for you!

43 207
 10-20-2015, 11:09 PM
User Info
(10-20-2015, 07:19 AM)kwsher Wrote: Nate is spot on... also would be interesting to note whether the shed hairs are full or broken.

They look like full length hairs to me. 
[Image: NAPTXxb.jpg]

9 202
 10-21-2015, 04:23 AM
User Info
(10-20-2015, 06:46 PM)drivenlegend Wrote: Coincidentally that is still a beautiful handle and knot. Brush I suppose lol. Anyway, I really hope it works itself out for you!

Thanks!
I really like the handle so if the shedding continues it will be getting a new knot for sure.

9 202
 10-21-2015, 05:34 PM
User Info
The very first brush I bought was a cheap boar from Sally's beauty supply. The whole knot literally fell apart in about a week. I wrote to the manufacturer. They sent me a replacement, but told me to get a stand and dry the brush with the knot pointing down. Most opinions I've read say there's no need to do that. I think it was just an awful brush, but it might be worth investing in a stand if you don't have one already.

0 1,099
 07-28-2016, 11:29 AM
User Info
Lately my Wee Scot, which went through a mild phase of shedding not long after I got it, has started to shed again.
It's worse this time -- today I estimate that it lost 10 hairs.

I am not overly hard on the brush -- either by using water that's too hot, soaking too long (I give it about 30 seconds), or by mashing/grinding it in use.

I realize every unit is different, though.

My next stop, depending on what happens in the next outing, is likely to be an e-mail to Simpson's.

8 951