10-20-2015, 10:30 AM
User Info
What are your favorite soaps to pair with Fine Clean Vetiver and Fine Fresh Vetiver?  I tried a few Vetiver scents many years ago, and did not like them, so I stopped giving consideration to anything with a heavy Vetiver note (like salt and garlic, I was okay with a pinch of Vetiver).

Fast-forward several years, and a friend cut me a deal on both these AS's. I have liked everything else from Fine, so I figured why not. Well, I'm glad I bought these -- I really like both. Now my only challenge is figuring out which soaps complement them the best. Thanks!

14 154
 10-20-2015, 10:33 AM
User Info
Fine Fresh Vetiver is a dupe of Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver, which is a classic citrus-vetiver combo. As such, I've paired it with CB Un Jour Gris and Tim's Roots.

Fine Clean Vetiver is a dupe of Guerlain's Vetiver, which is a more straight-ahead vetiver. I don't own it, but if I did I'd look for a no-nonsense vetiver soap like Jabonman Vetiver de Haiti or Stirling Port-au-Prince.

16 1,027
 10-20-2015, 10:38 AM
User Info
Mike's Vetiver. THE best Vetiver soap available...when available.  Wink
I second the Jabonman Vetiver de Haiti choice as well. I have both and they are both terrific.

39 3,920
 10-20-2015, 10:45 AM
User Info
I should mention, I'm still not a fan of heavy Vetiver scents or those that are mono-dimensional. I've tried Glacé Herbe, but did not care for it. I haven't tried Un Jour Gris, but I thought this was supposed to be more of a Ford inspired petichor rather than a clone. Do you find UJG that similar to Fine Fresh?  I've read in other corners of the web that some (that were expecting UJG to be more of a clone) were "disappointed". 

Regarding Mike's, I see it mentioned frequently -- is it mainly Vetiver, or are there other notes in the mix?  From the description, it sounds very Vetiver-forward. 

Thanks for the replies so far -- keep them coming.

14 154
 10-20-2015, 10:56 AM
User Info
Also, I realize I'm contradicting myself when I say I like "Clean Vetiver" but not Vetiver-forward fragrances. I can definitely notice the Vetiver in this, but it's presented in a way that really complements the other notes. It's not just a slap in the face with wet, muddy, grass. I'm okay with a strong Vetiver presence, but I'd like the sum of the parts to be more interesting than just, "Vetiver - Boo-Yah!"  Smile

14 154
 10-20-2015, 11:21 AM
User Info
Tabula Rasa Vetiver & Tangerine might be a great option.

3 1,484
 10-20-2015, 11:55 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
CRSW Vétiver Moderne

47 1,924
 10-20-2015, 11:59 AM
User Info
(10-20-2015, 10:45 AM)TAB Wrote: I should mention, I'm still not a fan of heavy Vetiver scents or those that are mono-dimensional. I've tried Glacé Herbe, but did not care for it. I haven't tried Un Jour Gris, but I thought this was supposed to be more of a Ford inspired petichor rather than a clone. Do you find UJG that similar to Fine Fresh?  I've read in other corners of the web that some (that were expecting UJG to be more of a clone) were "disappointed". 

Regarding Mike's, I see it mentioned frequently -- is it mainly Vetiver, or are there other notes in the mix?  From the description, it sounds very Vetiver-forward. 

In that case, you will not like Mike's or Jabonman. They are both earthy scents.

39 3,920
 10-20-2015, 03:47 PM
User Info
(10-20-2015, 10:45 AM)TAB Wrote: I should mention, I'm still not a fan of heavy Vetiver scents or those that are mono-dimensional. I've tried Glacé Herbe, but did not care for it. I haven't tried Un Jour Gris, but I thought this was supposed to be more of a Ford inspired petichor rather than a clone. Do you find UJG that similar to Fine Fresh?  I've read in other corners of the web that some (that were expecting UJG to be more of a clone) were "disappointed". 

A fair point - UJG is a hybrid of petrichor and Grey Vetiver. It's certainly not a linear pairing, but I kind of like that. Tim's Roots is a much more linear connection to GV/FV with its citrus and vetiver combo.

If you're not a fan of unilaterally vetiver scents, I doubt you'll like CV or the soaps I recommended pairing with it. Guerlain Vetiver (to me) doesn't have much going on besides vetiver.

16 1,027
 10-21-2015, 05:55 PM
User Info
(10-20-2015, 03:47 PM)crazindndude Wrote: ... I doubt you'll like CV or the soaps I recommended pairing with it. Guerlain Vetiver (to me) doesn't have much going on besides vetiver.

If by CV you mean Clean Vetiver, that's the funny thing, I really like it. I didn't expect to like it, but I do. 

Any other recommendations, fellas?

14 154
 10-21-2015, 07:34 PM
User Info
(10-21-2015, 05:55 PM)TAB Wrote:
(10-20-2015, 03:47 PM)crazindndude Wrote: ... I doubt you'll like CV or the soaps I recommended pairing with it. Guerlain Vetiver (to me) doesn't have much going on besides vetiver.

If by CV you mean Clean Vetiver, that's the funny thing, I really like it. I didn't expect to like it, but I do. 

Any other recommendations, fellas?

I have B&M Tre Citta Vetyver Santal and it pairs perfectly with Fresh. I don't think they make it in Tre Citta now but they do make it in the tallow formula now. Grey Vetiver has notes of lemon, Vetiver, and sandalwood base notes. I really need a bottle of Grey Vetiver EDP because I love the scent.

3 96
 10-21-2015, 08:44 PM
User Info
Scritchnscrub vetiver. 

Great stuff.

18 654
 10-22-2015, 02:12 AM
User Info
(10-21-2015, 08:44 PM)GloryUprising Wrote: Scritchnscrub vetiver. 

Great stuff.

That's not readily available, is it?

14 154
 10-22-2015, 03:43 AM
User Info
I would recommend CB, LTV and TR Olibannum. I don't believe either are vetiver based, but pair very well with vetiver a/s and neither have a damp mossy/earthy vetiver scent to my nose. Mike's orange and black pepper pairs nicely with Guerlain vetiver edt.

0 847
 10-22-2015, 08:27 AM
User Info
(10-22-2015, 03:43 AM)Nishy Wrote: I would recommend CB, LTV and TR Olibannum. I don't believe either are vetiver based, but pair very well with vetiver a/s and neither have a damp mossy/earthy vetiver scent to my nose. Mike's orange and black pepper pairs nicely with Guerlain vetiver edt.

Thanks!  I had not thought of trying LTV. It's a favorite of mine, and the combo makes sense now that you mention it. Maybe I was focusing too hard on Vetiver in trying to find a pairing. 

The Mike's orange, black pepper, and cedar sounds good. That's been on my list for a while. Maybe it's time to pull the trigger.

14 154
 10-22-2015, 08:34 AM
User Info
(10-22-2015, 08:27 AM)TAB Wrote:
(10-22-2015, 03:43 AM)Nishy Wrote: I would recommend CB, LTV and TR Olibannum. I don't believe either are vetiver based, but pair very well with vetiver a/s and neither have a damp mossy/earthy vetiver scent to my nose. Mike's orange and black pepper pairs nicely with Guerlain vetiver edt.

Thanks!  I had not thought of trying LTV. It's a favorite of mine, and the combo makes sense now that you mention it. Maybe I was focusing too hard on Vetiver in trying to find a pairing. 

The Mike's orange, black pepper, and cedar sounds good. That's been on my list for a while. Maybe it's time to pull the trigger.
Thanks Smile I like to take it as a cologne's life cycle in the period of the shave, so with LTV the earthy with light cologne sits well with a green clean vetiver like Tom Ford grey vetiver.

I like to pair heavy vetiver with an earthy scent, one which is not mentioned regularly is Professor Blighty's Barbarian. This is if you can imagine; a smoke filled campsite, mixed with barbarian spilt beer and hog meat. This dark bouquet sits superbly with Encre Noire.

For a finer tuned match try TR Olibanum with Guerlain Vetiver, gorgeous.

Love experimenting with vetivers.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

0 847
 10-22-2015, 08:41 AM
User Info
I match all kind of soaps with my Fine Clean & Fresh Vetiver. Sandalwood soaps, MWF, Haslinger, Vetiver soaps, etc. Most soaps scents don't linger and for the ones that do, place it to your nose with the Fine and get an idea how the smell together. I saw Stirlings Port eu Prince mentioned. I'm a fan of Stirling soaps but found that one to smell like pond scum. Found it paired well with my trash can.

147 3,539
 10-22-2015, 09:02 AM
User Info
(10-22-2015, 08:41 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: ... I'm a fan of Stirling soaps but found that one to smell like pond scum. Found it paired well with my trash can.

Thanks for the laugh.  I enjoy many of Rod's soaps, and he's a nice guy, so no disrespect meant to him, but that is funny.

Would that be called Eau de Garbagè?

14 154
 10-22-2015, 04:49 PM
User Info
MdC Unscented. (Which actually has a mild scent during shaving.)

3 196
 10-23-2015, 09:42 AM
User Info
(10-22-2015, 02:12 AM)TAB Wrote:
(10-21-2015, 08:44 PM)GloryUprising Wrote: Scritchnscrub vetiver. 

Great stuff.

That's not readily available, is it?

You never know if you don't ask.... Wink

18 654