10-20-2015, 08:41 PM
User Info
I've been getting curious about the newer synthetic brushes.  I don't really want to break the bank if I'm not going to like them, but I understand that I need to spend enough to get some quality.  So... what ideas do you folks have about a good, affordable synthetic brush for a first synthetic.  Thanks.

13 193
 10-20-2015, 08:47 PM
  • MHWood
  • Artisan Brush Maker
  • Illinois
User Info
 10-20-2015, 08:50 PM
User Info
You don't have to break the bank to get a good synthetic. See thread above that MHWood posted. My personal favorites are Whipped Dog 24mm and 30mm and Stirling 26mm Plisson type knot.

13 947
 10-20-2015, 08:57 PM
  • MHWood
  • Artisan Brush Maker
  • Illinois
User Info
I've been using the Sunrise and Lights knots for a couple weeks to a month now and I'm extremely happy with them. Get yourself a 24mm Sunrise and a handle and you'll be very pleased. I used them in about 85% of the synthetic brushes i make.

3 291
 10-20-2015, 09:29 PM
User Info
(10-20-2015, 08:57 PM)MHWood Wrote: I've been using the Sunrise and Lights knots for a couple weeks to a month now and I'm extremely happy with them. Get yourself a 24mm Sunrise and a handle and you'll be very pleased. I used them in about 85% of the synthetic brushes i make.

I'm actually going to order a 24mm Sunrise from Amack. It appears to be a Plisson type fiber knot, which is being sold at many places now but the Sunrise is the best price I've seen. I use my Whipped Dogs more than anything but have a custom Wolf Whiskers with Ubersoft being made right now, which is the same fibers as the Whipped Dog knot according to Peter at WW. Who knows though, the Sunrise might be even better than the WD and Ubersoft (same fibers). I also have a Plisson 22mm from Plisson and a Striling 26mm (Plisson type fiber) and they are both excellent brushes.  The bottom line is there are a lot of great synthetics, however some are the same fibers just in different sizes (loft heights and knot diameter) and/or sold by different companies.

13 947
 10-20-2015, 11:33 PM
User Info
Another vote for a Wipped Dog 24mm.  Great brush at a very reasonable price.

3 193
 10-21-2015, 05:02 AM
User Info
(10-20-2015, 09:29 PM)Hobbyist Wrote:
(10-20-2015, 08:57 PM)MHWood Wrote: I've been using the Sunrise and Lights knots for a couple weeks to a month now and I'm extremely happy with them. Get yourself a 24mm Sunrise and a handle and you'll be very pleased. I used them in about 85% of the synthetic brushes i make.

I'm actually going to order a 24mm Sunrise from Amack. It appears to be a Plisson type fiber knot, which is being sold at many places now but the Sunrise is the best price I've seen. I use my Whipped Dogs more than anything but have a custom Wolf Whiskers with Ubersoft being made right now, which is the same fibers as the Whipped Dog knot according to Peter at WW. Who knows though, the Sunrise might be even better than the WD and Ubersoft (same fibers). I also have a Plisson 22mm from Plisson and a Striling 26mm (Plisson type fiber) and they are both excellent brushes.  The bottom line is there are a lot of great synthetics, however some are the same fibers just in different sizes (loft heights and knot diameter) and/or sold by different companies.

The Sunrise knot is actually fairly superior to any of the other "Plisson-type" knots I tried, in my humble opinion anyways.  After I finished with the review that was linked a few posts up I did some more testing with the CF 24mm Fauxmere knots set at different depths, as well as a Sunrise knot set at various depths.  In my opinion, the Sunrise set at standard depth (10mm) is the best synthetic knot out of the ones I've tried that is still currently available for purchase.  The Lights knot is still the other one I consider to be superior to the others and on par with the Sunrise, but it's no longer available.  I actually just sold my last Lights brush yesterday because I realized I was reaching for the Sunrise brush more due to the slightly easier splay, albeit at the expense of just a little bit of backbone when compared to the Lights.

For $18 shipped total price, the 24mm Sunrise knot set in a 24mm Whipped Dog handle is kind of a no-brainer as far as synthetics go, again obviously coming from my perspective and preferences.  I'm putting one together for my father as a gift and I have another loose Sunrise knot as a backup just in case they sell out like the Lights did.  Maybe someday it will go in a nice custom handle or something.  It definitely gets my recommendation for anyone looking for a new synthetic, price aside.

10 407
 10-21-2015, 06:06 AM
User Info
My Sunrise synth knot was shipped wrapped in paper in an unpadded envelope. It came out of the envelope looking like it had been F5'd repeatedly by Brock Lesnar. After repeated attempts to bring it back to form, the knot remains a mis-shapen, hole-in-the-middle write-off. Either the knot was set poorly by the manufacturer to begin with, in which case it never should have been sold, or the vendor's shipping procedure needs changing. For 10 bucks I'm not going to worry over it though; the Shave Revolution knot is superior anyway.

29 1,776
 10-21-2015, 06:06 AM
User Info
Infinity Silvertex. Muhle black fiber.

18 713
 10-21-2015, 06:18 AM
User Info
I use the following Muhle synthetic brushes: 39K257, 31K257, 33K257, 31M89, and 31M107. Each is excellent, for both soaps and creams. I couldn't recommend them highly enough.

0 60
 10-21-2015, 10:39 AM
User Info
Razorock Plisson Style and Satin Tip The Finest are both good ones for $15.  Plisson style is softer with great flow through, Satin Tip denser and holds more lather.

11 968
 10-21-2015, 03:09 PM
User Info
The Stirling Brush is the only synthetic brush I have after owning maybe six of them? I had the Omega synthetic, satin tip purest, Plisson and a few others. I love how big the Stirling brush feels and it also has nice backbone. It makes a great lather as well as a ton of it and it's very soft. I think it's a good brush for 19 or 20 bucks.

1 468
 10-22-2015, 08:34 AM
User Info
Shave Revolution all the way. I have the 22mm and 24mm and really like both. They aren't my "favorite" knots (nothing can top the Shavemac 2-band silvertip, for me, at this moment), but these are the best synth knots I've tried yet. I've use Muhle, EJ, Plisson, Kent, etc. most all of the popular/mainstream synth knots, and these are the only ones I've kept. I haven't tried WD or some of these loose knots from Etsy.

14 153
 10-23-2015, 12:43 PM
User Info
I read a lot about Stirling and wd synthetics but what really got me to buy a brush today was shave revolution, not only a great looking handle, low price but the brush comes with a pick of their soap and a travel tube for the brush.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

4 47