10-21-2015, 10:36 AM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
I have noticed what appear to be trends on BST. I have no statistics nor analytics to back this up. Just my impressions.
The first trend is that I find is a greater instance of bundling a high demand item with other items that would be less likely to sell on their own. I have done this myself. So if I want that high demand item, I am stuck buying other things I do not particularly want. Sometimes the seller eventually splits the items and sometimes they don't. I am not complaining since as a seller I totally get it and as a buyer, I can always make an offer or move on.
The next trend I notice is that it seems to be much more difficult to sell items in general. Sure, a Mongoose or Wolfman will go fast as well as a M&F 2XL. I see nice brushes and razors go unsold even though they are priced well. Have we reached the point where everyone who wants a Simpsons Best  or a Super Speed already has their fill? Perhaps there are just fewer new entrants into the Wet Shaving world. I can only speculate. Interested to hear what others think.

47 677
 10-21-2015, 10:49 AM
User Info
(10-21-2015, 10:36 AM)srgjazz Wrote: I have noticed what appear to be trends on BST. I have no statistics nor analytics to back this up. Just my impressions.
The first trend is that I find is a greater instance of bundling a high demand item with other items that would be less likely to sell on their own. I have done this myself. So if I want that high demand item, I am stuck buying other things I do not particularly want. Sometimes the seller eventually splits the items and sometimes they don't. I am not complaining since as a seller I totally get it and as a buyer, I can always make an offer or move on.
The next trend I notice is that it seems to be much more difficult to sell items in general. Sure, a Mongoose or Wolfman will go fast as well as a M&F 2XL. I see nice brushes and razors go unsold even though they are priced well. Have we reached the point where everyone who wants a Simpsons Best  or a Super Speed already has their fill? Perhaps there are just fewer new entrants into the Wet Shaving world. I can only speculate. Interested to hear what others think.

I do not care for bundling items one bit. As a seller, I understand that some of my items might be harder to shift, but that's just the way it goes. Forcing a buyer to spend additional money on items they have no interest in does a disservice to the community. Just my opinion.

157 1,016
 10-21-2015, 10:58 AM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
I just skip the bundle threads no matter how great the item is.   Guess that means less sales on great items. Just my opinion.

2 479
 10-23-2015, 10:49 AM
User Info
I've noticed the majority of people want to sell, and there are few that are looking for and/or willing to accept trades.  

I think if people were more open to trades they could move more stuff, plus it is kind of fun haggling with folks to find a deal you both like.

1 135
 10-23-2015, 11:12 AM
User Info
I don't mind trading, but it has to be for what I'm looking for, otherwise, what's the point?  I agree, trading could be fun.

61 3,796
 10-23-2015, 11:13 AM
User Info
(10-21-2015, 10:36 AM)srgjazz Wrote:  Sure, a Mongoose or Wolfman will go fast as well as a M&F 2XL. I see nice brushes and razors go unsold even though they are priced well. Have we reached the point where everyone who wants a Simpsons Best  or a Super Speed already has their fill? Perhaps there are just fewer new entrants into the Wet Shaving world. I can only speculate. Interested to hear what others think.

I think anyone who sells their Wolfman is nuts!  I've got 2, and you won't be seeing either for sale.

0 382
 10-23-2015, 11:13 AM
User Info
(10-23-2015, 11:13 AM)David Wrote:
(10-21-2015, 10:36 AM)srgjazz Wrote:  Sure, a Mongoose or Wolfman will go fast as well as a M&F 2XL. I see nice brushes and razors go unsold even though they are priced well. Have we reached the point where everyone who wants a Simpsons Best  or a Super Speed already has their fill? Perhaps there are just fewer new entrants into the Wet Shaving world. I can only speculate. Interested to hear what others think.

I think anyone who sells their Wolfman is nuts!  I've got 2, and you won't be seeing either for sale.

Say that again!

61 3,796
 10-23-2015, 11:31 AM
User Info
(10-21-2015, 10:36 AM)srgjazz Wrote:  Perhaps there are just fewer new entrants into the Wet Shaving world. I can only speculate. Interested to hear what others think.

Do we have stats on # of people joining the forum?

8 1,057
 10-23-2015, 11:40 AM
User Info
I agree on trades but rarely get what I'm after so just tend to sell. I also feel that since it's getting close to the holidays people are less likely to splurge. Want to make sure they got the cash flow for the holidays.

147 3,459
 10-23-2015, 11:52 AM
User Info
(10-23-2015, 11:40 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: I agree on trades but rarely get what I'm after so just tend to sell. I also feel that since it's getting close to the holidays people are less likely to splurge. Want to make sure they got the cash flow for the holidays.

Nothing like self giving, lol......

61 3,796
 10-23-2015, 01:01 PM
  • Csd3
  • Denver, Co
User Info
(10-21-2015, 10:49 AM)You nervosa1901 Wrote:
(10-21-2015, 10:36 AM)srgjazz Wrote: I have noticed what appear to be trends on BST. I have no statistics nor analytics to back this up. Just my impressions.

I do not care for bundling items one bit. As a seller, I understand that some of my items might be harder to shift, but that's just the way it goes. Forcing a buyer to spend additional money on items they have no interest in does a disservice to the community. Just my opinion.
Who is forcing who?  And disservice???  If you no like, you no buy.   Pretty simple.  

Bundles are better deals usually-  a $ loss for a seller in exchange for less s&h hassle.

7 325
 10-23-2015, 01:05 PM
User Info
(10-23-2015, 11:12 AM)hrfdez Wrote: I don't mind trading, but it has to be for what I'm looking for, otherwise, what's the point?  I agree, trading could be fun.

One of my best transactions was when I traded a FatBoy for an Ikon102. Both sides were very happy.

1 66
 10-23-2015, 01:17 PM
User Info
(10-23-2015, 01:01 PM)Csd3 Wrote:
(10-21-2015, 10:49 AM)You nervosa1901 Wrote:

Who is forcing who?  And disservice???  If you no like, you no buy.   Pretty simple.  

Bundles are better deals usually-  a $ loss for a seller in exchange for less s&h hassle.
Selling a bunch of easily obtainable soaps in a lot to save on shipping costs is fine. The problem, in my view, is when a seller offers a hot item and then attaches all of the other items no one wants to buy to the sale just so he can move them, thereby causing the person who wants the item to purchase things he has no interest in. Instead of buying "X" razor for $160, I also have to buy soaps "A", "B" and "C" for $250. Yes, no one is forcing the buyer to commit $ to the transaction, but if the item is one he has wanted for a long time, I just think it unfortunate that he cannot buy the item without the extra dead weight attached.

157 1,016
 10-29-2015, 07:11 PM
User Info
(10-23-2015, 01:17 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote:
(10-23-2015, 01:01 PM)Csd3 Wrote:
(10-21-2015, 10:49 AM)You nervosa1901 Wrote: I do not care for bundling items one bit. As a seller, I understand that some of my items might be harder to shift, but that's just the way it goes. Forcing a buyer to spend additional money on items they have no interest in does a disservice to the community. Just my opinion.

Selling a bunch of easily obtainable soaps in a lot to save on shipping costs is fine. The problem, in my view, is when a seller offers a hot item and then attaches all of the other items no one wants to buy to the sale just so he can move them, thereby causing the person who wants the item to purchase things he has no interest in. Instead of buying "X" razor for $160, I also have to buy soaps "A", "B" and "C" for $250. Yes, no one is forcing the buyer to commit $ to the transaction, but if the item is one he has wanted for a long time, I just think it unfortunate that he cannot buy the item without the extra dead weight attached.

The potential buyer can always pay retail if they don't want bundling.

6 678
 10-29-2015, 07:27 PM
User Info
(10-29-2015, 07:11 PM)Gig103 Wrote:
(10-23-2015, 01:17 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote:
(10-23-2015, 01:01 PM)Csd3 Wrote: Who is forcing who?  And disservice???  If you no like, you no buy.   Pretty simple.  

If the items are difficult to obtain or no longer made, he has no option of paying retail

157 1,016
 10-29-2015, 07:38 PM
User Info
It works the other way also, lowballers, lol.....Some people want to own fancy on the cheap.  Who said wet shaving was cheap?  

Or what about the buyer that gets a great deal and then tries to make a substantial profit after getting a nice deal?  I guess that's ok?

We could go on and on.....

61 3,796
 10-30-2015, 03:45 AM
User Info
(10-29-2015, 07:27 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote:
(10-29-2015, 07:11 PM)Gig103 Wrote:
(10-23-2015, 01:17 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote: Selling a bunch of easily obtainable soaps in a lot to save on shipping costs is fine. The problem, in my view, is when a seller offers a hot item and then attaches all of the other items no one wants to buy to the sale just so he can move them, thereby causing the person who wants the item to purchase things he has no interest in. Instead of buying "X" razor for $160, I also have to buy soaps "A", "B" and "C" for $250. Yes, no one is forcing the buyer to commit $ to the transaction, but if the item is one he has wanted for a long time, I just think it unfortunate that he cannot buy the item without the extra dead weight attached.

If the items are difficult to obtain or no longer made, he has no option of paying retail

In my opinion it is just bad luck for the potential buyer if he doesn't want to pay the extra for the unwanted items and in which case it would seem the buyer does not want the hot item enough to do so. Someone else will or the lot might be split or withdrawn. I do see your point and have been in similar situations and passed because I didn't want to pay for the extras, but I think the seller has every right to try and get rid of unwanted items along with a highly desirable/rare item without being seen as some sort of scumbag for doing so.

8 206
 10-30-2015, 04:05 AM
  • Devilanche
  • Singapore (CONUS post address)
User Info
Willing seller, willing buyer.

10 369
 10-30-2015, 07:58 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info

Part of it is the time of year I think. My slowest period of the year (by far) is October and November (until Thanksgiving).

46 18,072
 10-30-2015, 08:08 AM
User Info
Tax time to Father's day don't even think about buying anything discounted, demand goes WAY up!!

16 215