10-21-2015, 07:21 PM
User Info
I love the splay and backbone of my Muhle synthetic, but love how my Shave Revolution Plisson style lathers and picks up soaps with ease. Is there an in between for the two?

4 146
 10-21-2015, 08:00 PM
User Info
(10-21-2015, 07:21 PM)Joezamboni Wrote: I love the splay and backbone of my Muhle synthetic, but love how my Shave Revolution Plisson style lathers and picks up soaps with ease. Is there an in between for the two?

Probably the Satin Tip purest, but I have not used the Muhle, only read a lot of reviews on it. The Satin Tip is very dense but still has very soft tips like the Plisson, only problem I have with it is the handle is small. Also, the Whipped Dog in a 24mm or 30mm. I own all three above brushes as well as a Plisson 22mm and Stirling 26mm. I feel the WDs have the most backbone, along with the Satin Tip, but they still splay very well. If you haven't ever owned a WD I highly recommend trying one. Also, the 30mm is an awesome brush, and lately gets as much use as my Stirling and 24mm WD. I would recommend the Stirling unless your Shave Revolution is a 24mm, but if it is a 22mm then you will notice a pretty big difference. I ordered a Wolf Whiskers with the new Ubersoft II that arrives any day now, which may also be a good choice but I haven't tried it yet. And according to Peter at WW the original Ubersoft is the same fibers as the WD, whereas the Ubersoft II is still very similar according to him but has a design change on the backs of the fibers to help it retain water and heat better. Hope this helps.

13 947
 10-21-2015, 08:15 PM
User Info
Have the 24mm WD, while nice it doesn't splay as easily as my 23mm Muhle does or have the same flow through. The Satin tip looks like a contender but I just can't get past the aesthetics.

4 146
 10-21-2015, 09:38 PM
User Info
(10-21-2015, 08:15 PM)Joezamboni Wrote: Have the 24mm WD, while nice it doesn't splay as easily as my 23mm Muhle does or have the same flow through. The Satin tip looks like a contender but I just can't get past the aesthetics.

If you don't like the look of the Satin Tip don't buy it because the handle is so light you probably will hate it ever more. I like it for travel but that's it, however the knot is very nice. As for the splay on the WD 24mm, I know exactly what you mean, but I use mine a lot and all of a sudden in the last couple weeks it started splaying much easier than before, almost like the Plisson. Apparently you can break the WD in because I definitely did and now it is the brush I use most. If you don't have the patience to break it in then I would get either a Stirling 26mm Plisson fiber type or a Chiseled Face 28mm Fauxmere Plisson fiber. The Stirling and WDs are my regular brushes, I rarely use my Plisson 22mm anymore.

13 947
 10-21-2015, 09:45 PM
User Info
Hmm, may have to give breaking in a try. The Muhle took two shaves and made me wonder why so many people commented on it being hard to splay, I only have ~6 on the WD so that may be the issue and I may have to be a bit more aggressive after being careful not to over splay my badgers.

4 146
 10-21-2015, 10:01 PM
User Info
(10-21-2015, 09:45 PM)Joezamboni Wrote: Hmm, may have to give breaking in a try. The Muhle took two shaves and made me wonder why so many people commented on it being hard to splay, I only have ~6 on the WD so that may be the issue and I may have to be a bit more aggressive after being careful not to over splay my badgers.

Don't worry about overs splaying the synthetics. I used to worry too and then I thought since they are so cheap compared to nice badgers I will take my chance. I have not had any issues with any of them. However, I do not splay full flat on the face, more like about 75% I guess. I probably used my WD 24mm for 2 months before it felt broken in, and in that two months I was rotating it with 2 to 3 other brushes, but probably used it 3 days a week, so maybe 15 to 20 uses before it splayed easier. Now it is perfection, whereas before I liked it a lot but didn't like the amount of pressure I had to maintain to keep the splay. Now I'm trying to break in the 30mm, which is a joy to use but same splay characteristics as the 24mm before break in.

13 947
 11-11-2015, 01:39 PM
User Info
(10-21-2015, 08:15 PM)Joezamboni Wrote: Have the 24mm WD, while nice it doesn't splay as easily as my 23mm Muhle does or have the same flow through. The Satin tip looks like a contender but I just can't get past the aesthetics.

I have the opposite experience, with my new WD 24mm splaying more easily than my Muhle 23mm, with a more controlled flow through. The Muhle feels "numb" to me - overly springy with little splay, which makes it (or me, more accurately) a lather flinger in my experience. I only use a synthetic for travel these days, with badgers at home.

10 96
 11-11-2015, 06:52 PM
User Info
Evidently Whipped Dog is now shipping their third generation of synthetics which based on what I've read on B&B are notable stiffer than the old from those that have contrasted both knots. Now it makes sense as to why I observed mine being so much stiffer than the Muhle. 
Another thing to note is that I recently received an Ubersoft 2 knot from envy shave and the hair is the same as the new WD, but in a fan shape which makes it have much better splay. This only took two uses to break in and loose it's initially stiffness.[Image: CXZBkF8.jpg]

The envy shave has earned a spot in the rotation, the whipped dog is falling behind.

4 146
 11-11-2015, 06:56 PM
User Info
I also have a purtech brush, a sunrise knot, and a few knock off Rooney handles in the mail from China. We'll see what comes of it in a week.

4 146
 11-13-2015, 02:00 PM
User Info
The 26mm synthetic from Stirling has more backbone than the Plisson but still as soft. One of the best synthetics I have used.

46 489