Poll: Which Razor do you think gives a better shave?
This poll is closed.
Merkur Futur
52.63% of votes
GIllette Fat Boy
47.37% of votes
* You voted for this item.
 10-22-2015, 07:10 AM
User Info
For those of you that have tried these razors (Merkur Futur & Gillette Fat Boy)  which razor do you think gives you a better shave?

0 79
 10-22-2015, 07:52 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
They are both adjustable but the Futur dials up higher and is one of those you like it or you don,t.....the FatBoy....a piece of shaving history and the CHEVY of Shaving...the Futur a Porsche.....means nothing till you try them...good luck

6 1,994
 10-22-2015, 07:55 AM
User Info
My face deplores all of the Gillette TTOs for some unfortunate reason! I would love to use them and photograph them, but they are just so uncomfortable for my face. I guess I have been using my Weber DLC for just too long. Biggrin

82 21,056
 10-22-2015, 08:44 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
(10-22-2015, 07:10 AM)mfcarpino Wrote: For those of you that have tried these razors (Merkur Futur & Gillette Fat Boy)  which razor do you think gives you a better shave?

This is certainly the case of YMMV. For me the Gillette FB works better. I sold my Futur as soon as I purchased FB a year ago. I recently sent it to Jay @Delta Echo to do his magic.

111 1,406
 10-22-2015, 09:14 AM
User Info
The Slim/Fatboy are pieces of history from the time tools were produced to last a lifetime or two, there was pride in workmanship, the leaders were honest, cars ran on real gas, music was not hippie-dee-hop with the words all spelled funny... Did I miss something?

Had'em, thought the shave was mehhh, sold for $20 which  was what I paid. Those were the merry innocent days ofthe  shaving forums a few years ago, before the inflated hypes that got you a Streamline for $200 or Toggle for $400. 

As for the Futur, now that is a piece of history, 1983 that is, when someones decided to put their heads together and came up with something that was new and better than the earlier designs. Yes,  IMHO the Futur is even better (though similar) than the Progress and both are better shavers, IMO, far better than the adjustable Gillettes.

6 808
 10-22-2015, 09:35 AM
User Info
I don't care for the Fatboy but I voted for it because it is not made from pot metal.

18 713
 10-22-2015, 12:03 PM
User Info
I've only used my Futur a couple of times.  Strangely, my Fatboy wide open feels more aggressive to me than the Futur wide open.  I definitely like the shorter handle and the knurling better.  I'm not sure if it's the blade angle, the blade bend, or what, but for some reason the Futur just doesn't work as well for me.

1 296
 10-22-2015, 12:49 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I love both, yet for me both are very different from each other and I get different shaves from them. I consider the Fatboy less aggressive in general, however I don't enjoy the shave with it dialed all the way up. On the other hand, I absolutely love shaving with the Futur dialed up to the max Biggrin!

If I had to recommend just one, it would likely be the Fatboy because I think more people will get along with it vs. the Futur.

34 1,628
 10-22-2015, 01:02 PM
User Info
I've never tried the Futur, so I guess I'm not the guy you want responding, but I just wanted to tell you my story. 

I landed a gorgeous cased Fatboy in the wild a number of years ago.  Used it for awhile and really liked it, but for some reason kind of put it away and used other razors for a time.   A guy wanted to trade it, and since I wasn't using it much, I went ahead and traded it away. 

Fast forward a couple of years.  I regretted trading it and remembered how much I had liked it when I first got it.  I came across a nasty-looking Fatboy in the wild again, bought it, cleaned it up, and it was really a nice one.  I used it for awhile and then, RAD being what it is, got wrapped up in other razors and this one mostly sat in a box in my closet.  

But I had made myself a promise that I would NEVER sell or trade a Fatboy away again.  

So, about 3 weeks ago, I pulled it out and started using it again.  You know what?  it's even BETTER than I remembered it, and right now I am really loving it.  It is definitely one of the best shavers I own.  I find that I have to open it up to at least 7 to get the best of it.  I prefer using it on 8.  Just a wonderful, smooth, comfortable, perfectly balanced, great shaving razor.  

Just my $0.02.

2 1,390
 10-22-2015, 02:03 PM
User Info
(10-22-2015, 01:02 PM)kingfisher Wrote: So, about 3 weeks ago, I pulled it out and started using it again.  You know what?  it's even BETTER than I remembered it, and right now I am really loving it.  It is definitely one of the best shavers I own.  I find that I have to open it up to at least 7 to get the best of it.  I prefer using it on 8.  Just a wonderful, smooth, comfortable, perfectly balanced, great shaving razor.  Interesting story.
Interesting story. 
I recently traded some soaps for a FB that cleaned up nicely. It is well built yet didn't get me interested (maybe because it competes with several other TTOs I really like) so I set it aside for maybe a month or so until I remembered it and used it once set at 5 and once at 6 and that's been about it, not much love. Maybe I'll give it another chance set up at 7 and 8.

8 1,060
 10-22-2015, 03:32 PM
User Info
(10-22-2015, 09:35 AM)fram773 Wrote: I don't care for the Fatboy but I voted for it because it is not made from pot metal.

The poll question was "Which Razor do you think gives a better shave?"

Did you try both and concluded that the pot metal of the Futur made the FB shave beter? 

To be honest, Merkur's build quality leaves a lot to be desired, but the Progress and Futur are two razors that you hardly ever hear of complaints of failure, and in the Futur case I would buy a replacement or a backup because the design is just that good, IMO.  I had the Weber and still have a Tradere, both stainless steel, both are raved about, but I find the Futur design to be a lot better.

6 808
 10-22-2015, 03:40 PM
User Info
this is partly about the"being  traditional" part of our hobby. Natural hair brushes as well as vintage razors ( and vintage blades) are commonly used because they work well and give satisfying results, especially as they are mastered. The question what is the easier, more refined shaver is not really what the hobby is about. It is about time and commitment spent, about mastering the tools.

If the result is excellent, it is an excellent result of course. This poll is colliding with our hidden agenda, guys.

21 1,175
 10-22-2015, 05:35 PM
User Info
(10-22-2015, 09:35 AM)fram773 Wrote: I don't care for the Fatboy but I voted for it because it is not made from pot metal.

There's a Chinese copy of the Futur made of brass.

11 84
 10-22-2015, 06:03 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I've tried both, still have several resident Fat Boys, the Futur (which I tried to like) finally was set free a month or so ago.  Since the poll was strictly about which shaves better, I won't mention the fiddly Futur loading process or shoddier materials compared to the Fat Boy

43 461
 10-22-2015, 06:18 PM
User Info
I have and enjoy both. I found a nice FB on the BST, and used it for a week. I thought the shaved was very efficient and smooth on the 5 setting. I ordered my Futur because of the unique design. I also used it for a week on the 3 setting and really liked it. It's now one of my favorites.

18 98
 10-22-2015, 06:49 PM
User Info
I used to prefer the Futur, but now like the Fatboy better. My favorite out of all the vintage Gillettes.

Delta Echo Fatboy takes it to another level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

192 1,588
 10-23-2015, 09:32 AM
User Info
(10-22-2015, 01:02 PM)kingfisher Wrote: I've never tried the Futur, so I guess I'm not the guy you want responding, but I just wanted to tell you my story. 

I landed a gorgeous cased Fatboy in the wild a number of years ago.  Used it for awhile and really liked it, but for some reason kind of put it away and used other razors for a time.   A guy wanted to trade it, and since I wasn't using it much, I went ahead and traded it away. 

Fast forward a couple of years.  I regretted trading it and remembered how much I had liked it when I first got it.  I came across a nasty-looking Fatboy in the wild again, bought it, cleaned it up, and it was really a nice one.  I used it for awhile and then, RAD being what it is, got wrapped up in other razors and this one mostly sat in a box in my closet.  

But I had made myself a promise that I would NEVER sell or trade a Fatboy away again.  

So, about 3 weeks ago, I pulled it out and started using it again.  You know what?  it's even BETTER than I remembered it, and right now I am really loving it.  It is definitely one of the best shavers I own.  I find that I have to open it up to at least 7 to get the best of it.  I prefer using it on 8.  Just a wonderful, smooth, comfortable, perfectly balanced, great shaving razor.  

Just my $0.02.

Thanks for your $0.02 I enjoyed reading your thoughts.  I presently own a Gillette Adjustable Slim ('62) and I wondering if I'd get a better shave with a Fat Boy or Futur.  Maybe I'll get both.  LOL

0 79
 10-23-2015, 09:35 AM
User Info
(10-22-2015, 03:40 PM)Bibbelmann Wrote: this is partly about the"being  traditional" part of our hobby. Natural hair brushes as well as vintage razors ( and vintage blades) are commonly used because they work well and give satisfying results, especially as they are mastered. The question what is the easier, more refined shaver is not really what the hobby is about. It is about time and commitment spent, about mastering the tools.

If the result is excellent, it is an excellent result of course. This poll is colliding with our hidden agenda, guys.

LOL.

0 79
 10-24-2015, 04:13 PM
User Info
Futur definitely gives a close smoother shave

3 84
 11-10-2015, 07:27 AM
User Info
My vote would go to the Fat Boy.

I've had the opportunity to try both the Futur and the Fat Boy.  I own a Slim and I wouldn't have thought that the Fat Boy would be better but I was surprised by my shave.  I found the Fat Boy to give me the best shave.  I'm converted to using a Fat  Boy and I'm loving it.

[Image: o4gZP9huTkb27Ded9]

0 79