10-23-2015, 12:56 AM
User Info
Has anyone ever just tried to purge as much of the den as possible, and maybe leaving a few pieces of hardware in the collection to start over with all software and fund a few brushes and razors?

I have 4 razors I could keep, 2 handles, and maybe 4 brushes that I could keep. Then if I get rid of everything else, I can splurge on a nice set of Saponificio Varesino lines of preshave oil, soap and aftershave balsams. Haha I forgot, give me a few of the wooden bowls.

So whats your thought on serious downsizing of a large den?

79 1,298
 10-23-2015, 03:01 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
.........shaving addiction is something you can't kick........ once you get rid of things, you wish you hadn't..........
.........then you start buying again................
.........it is a curse i tell you, a curse!!!!

44 1,063
 10-23-2015, 03:23 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
There you have it! The first person to answer your question hit the nail on the head  Smile

28 1,433
 10-23-2015, 04:45 AM
User Info
I sold all my 60+ DE brand new razors recently. But still kept 2. Don't regret my decision. I now own 6 Fusion handles and 4 DE's.
Currently don't feel the need to expand from these 10 razors.
I owned 125+ badger brushes up until 2013, sold most, now only own 25-26 badgers, but all are PRIME SPECIESISM BADGERS at least 9/10 or better.

Don't regret thinning my collection as most just collected dust in the corner anyway!

24 5,850
 10-23-2015, 05:01 AM
User Info
(10-23-2015, 12:56 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: Has anyone ever just tried to purge as much of the den as possible, and maybe leaving a few pieces of hardware in the collection to start over with all software and fund a few brushes and razors?

I have 4 razors I could keep, 2 handles, and maybe 4 brushes that I could keep. Then if I get rid of everything else, I can splurge on a nice set of Saponificio Varesino lines of preshave oil, soap and aftershave balsams. Haha I forgot, give me a few of the wooden bowls.

So whats your thought on serious downsizing of a large den?

I've had a number of good den restructuring events in my 7 years of wet shaving.  It is a good opportunity to remove the things you don't like and provides you with a bit more cash to fund adding some things you've always wanted to try.  I say try it out!

73 2,200
 10-23-2015, 06:20 AM
User Info
I only keep what I love.  If I'm not passionate about a soap or cream, I give it away or use in the shower.  I seldom use an after shave, so have given almost all away. (not allowed to wear at work, so I'm limited to weekends/evenings)

I'm still going to add another superb brush soon, and I have about half a dozen soaps I still want to acquire to try out, but that's about it.

Oh, and maybe a second scuttle.  Hey, it's cold up here in the winter.

0 382
 10-23-2015, 06:23 AM
User Info
I have always had a somewhat 'modest' shave den and when I did not enjoy something, I sold it. I don't regret letting anything go except for two Simpsons' Chubby 2 2-Bands, but my current brushes keep me quite content. Biggrin

82 21,056
 10-23-2015, 07:16 AM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
Well is good exercise in finding what is actually good for you and what you use frequently.

I downsized my den couple times and it allow me to focus on items which I use daily only. Nothing collects dust.  5 razors  6 brushes  4 soaps 2 creams  1 balm  1 Witch hazel  7 Perfumes/AS

I had 30+ DE Razors, 20+ brushes, etc....

All quality items in my eyes and selling unused  allowed me to acquire them

I say go for it!

11 880
 10-23-2015, 07:17 AM
User Info
i have done this very thing repeatedly with pif's sales etc and it never goes down.  like finding that lost sock in the dryer again and again.  sure do love badger brushes though.

73 1,263
 10-23-2015, 09:44 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I've thought about it (for about a nano-second), but quickly dismissed such a silly thought.  It's just not worthy of further contemplation.

5 885
 10-23-2015, 10:38 AM
User Info
I sold 95% of my "den" and I feel fine.

19 775
 10-23-2015, 10:40 AM
User Info
I try to keep it reasonable.  No more than 7 razors, 7 brushes, 7 soaps/creams.  If I have more razors or brushes than that at any one time, I set a 3 month time limit to figure out which stay and which go.

I've got 1 SE and 3 DEs too many right now, but haven't had a chance to thin the herd due to OCtober.  Once OCtober is over, I'll do some controlled experiments to decide which of them go.  
I'm at 9 brushes right now.  I know which 2 I'm going to PIF (my last two boars), but I'm waiting to build up funds for shipping costs.
I have about 9 soaps and 1 cream right now, but that's just due to a PIF and a few evaluation pucks I got from a potential new artisan.  I refuse to buy any additional soaps until I'm back down to less than 7 in the den.  I'm a head shaver, so I go through software about 3 times faster than most people, so it shouldn't be too long.

1 296
 10-23-2015, 10:44 AM
User Info
I've happily thinned my den through sales, trades, and PIFs.  

I still have t0o many soaps and aftershaves, and I'm trying to pull together a swap meet in the Austin, Texas area to do some trading.

I found it quite liberating to get rid of things that weren't in use and find others to try out.

1 135
 10-23-2015, 12:36 PM
User Info
I give away many things to the men at my work. Now they buy all the stuff they are liking and shave better. I make a counting and 11 soaps 3 brushes 2 aftershaves and 1 razor have gone from me. So it makes a circle like yesterday I had a present of Stirling puck soap to me.

0 155
 10-23-2015, 12:47 PM
User Info
Working on it......

61 3,796
 10-23-2015, 02:35 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Simple finances have kept my shaveden/bathroom counter minimal, yet more than I invisioned starting out. My longterm goal is to actually DUPLICATE my one razor and favourite brush along with a doosmsday supply of blades and soap. I have been gifted enough stuff to set up several homeless vets with baisic kit. Shaving gear finds a ready market and ease of sale unlike many pursuits with social and legal headaches; firearms or
vintage cars ( sorry, I wont drive behind the empty  shopping center to sell this handgun---Sorry, I didn't know you wanted a RED MG instead of BRG when I restored it 20 years ago. No, I wont discount the cost of a respray) Facepalm

2 3,171
 10-23-2015, 03:10 PM
User Info
I actually like keeping things to a minimum. Now that I've found the Feather MR3, I'll be selling all my SEs and DEs bar one that was gifted to me. Down to 12 tubs of shaving soap now, and could probably stand to lose a couple there as well. Not going to buy a single new one until an existing one gets finished.

It's kind of liberating, to be honest. No longer chasing the latest hyped limited edition releases, or fretting about what to sell and what to keep.

Edit - Have 4 brushes, comprising a nice variety in my opinion. One synthetic (CFG fauxmere knot), one boar (Semogue 1250), and two badgers (FS Finest and Semogue Texugo soon). Maybe missing a nice 3-band silvertip but I like the variety I have now.

15 1,021
 10-23-2015, 04:29 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
LEs are not just hype. Established products with a loyal following tweak the scent, make up a bowl with logo etc and customers collect them for as much pleasure as performance. It's like a car with tangerine paint and custom rims. You KNOW that VW diesel is great to begin with. Well, o.k. not all products deserve customer enthusiasm.

2 3,171
 10-23-2015, 05:32 PM
User Info
I have done this several times now, and usually rebound right where I started.

I think that I can sell some razors and after shaves now and be fine.

Brushes and soaps are harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

192 1,588
 10-23-2015, 05:33 PM
User Info
Every time I get a bug up my bum and clean house so to speak, I wind up doing it again before the year is up. Great way to make space and $ to try new things but a number of the things I got rid of I turned around and bought/traded for again. Kind of defies the purpose doesn't it?

147 3,464