07-02-2012, 03:51 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Finally, the ones in the blue, original package. Not the new Polsilver/SuperIridium or the Polsilver.....the real deal and I checked to make sure it wasn't counterfeit.

Now, I have no clue if this was psychological or my will or what........but it lived up to all of the hype that I've read and more. It cut so smoothly and without irritation, I was ultimately very surprised and very happy.

I used an EJ DE89 Barleycorn handle for reference because it's a middle of the road shaver for me plus the razor that I had previously sampled the most blades in and did my usual three pass shave with a combo of soap and brush that always works for me and that I usually sample new blades with.

I thought that I was a bit aggressive and I did not seem to get the feedback that this blade was doing much but I ended up with an incredible, COMPLETELY irritation free BBS and did not need to do any touch up at the end. All this was done with four days worth of growth on a pretty tough, wiry beard and sensitive skin.

Now, I know that one shave does not necessarily make a blade and that other variables are involved/will be involved the next time but I have to say that I was truly impressed the first time out with this blade.

Now..........everybody stop buying the rest of the stock and leave them for me!!!!! Biggrin

6 905
 07-02-2012, 04:12 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The SI is my all time favourite DE blade.

Gifts & care have them back in stock...

https://www.giftsandcare.com/en/search?o...ry=iridium

91 17,850
 07-02-2012, 04:18 AM
User Info
I'll be curious to hear how it performs on just a days growth. I know with my coarse beard that more days of growth usually makes it easier to cut. Enjoy the blade. They are nice.

31 7,914
 07-02-2012, 04:27 AM
User Info
One of my favourite blades! I also find the Perma-Sharps (cardboard box) to be very similar.

2 5,532
 07-02-2012, 05:04 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Very interesting because I just ordered 100 of those too!

Yes, tonight with one day's growth will tell a tale....

(07-02-2012, 04:27 AM)oversaturn Wrote: One of my favourite blades! I also find the Perma-Sharps (cardboard box) to be very similar.

Ben..........SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Cool

Actually, I've read everything that I can of late and it seems the consensus is that these have NOT been discontinued, just put in a new wrapper and called "Polsilver SuperIridium".

Now, we've likely all seen that here and elsewhere but there has been no definitive confirmation from someone who has shaved with both back to back or even better-side to side.

I have some of the newly labeled Polsilver-SuperIridiums coming within the next month. I will try to discern if they are the same blade.
Otherwise, I think that I can safely say that while the Polsilver blades work very well for me, I do not get the same results as I have so far with the Super Iridium.
Some even claim the the Polsilver are the same blade as the Super Iridium as well. And BTW, the Polsilver's now seem to be sold out at most vendors.

(07-02-2012, 04:12 AM)ben74 Wrote: The SI is my all time favourite DE blade.

Gifts & care have them back in stock...

https://www.giftsandcare.com/en/search?o...ry=iridium

6 905
 07-02-2012, 08:37 AM
User Info
I can't discern any difference between any of the genuine "Iridium" family. Other than packaging that is.

32 6,309
 07-02-2012, 08:53 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
One blade I definitely need to try. I like Perma-Sharps, so it seems as though I would like these. It's too bad they are so hard to find in "sample" quantities.

35 1,732
 07-02-2012, 08:59 AM
User Info
Super Iridiums are very fine blades indeed. The only reason I sold mine was because I have more vintage Wilkinsons than I'll ever be able to use and I prefer them.

184 12,003
 07-02-2012, 10:00 AM
User Info
Great blades!

75 20,883
 07-02-2012, 11:40 AM
User Info
Hiya,

The Iridium was my go to blade for about three years, having preferred em over the old Swedes whose place they took.

Truth be told, I have an extremely hard time telling the difference between the Iridium and the Gillette Sharpedge. Those are about equally as good.

Martin

1 79
 07-02-2012, 01:12 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I have a Iridium Super in my Super Adjustable, a great combo.
Comfortable sharp blade, no irritation. I have the razor dialed to #6, I have been able to do a two pass shave. I normally do three passes with this blade a third pass is not needed.

1 3,507
 07-02-2012, 02:55 PM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
I tried my first SI last week, also purchased from Gifts & Care. Loaded up in a Tech, it was like no blade in there at all! A very, very close shave. A couple days later I tried it in one of my Slims set to 3, and again a perfectly awesome shave. The next evening we were going out, so I just splashed some cold water on my face & did a quick water-only shave with the slim set to 4 - a great quickie shave.

I'm going to give it another go tonite in the Slim. I'll start around 4, but may have to click it up one or two notches. I've also got a new stick of Arko that showed up in the mail this afternoon that I want to try (thanks John!).

I still want to try some of the other blades in my sampler, but so far I am liking how the SIs are working out for me.

~Frank

18 271
 07-02-2012, 08:02 PM
User Info
There are many blades I love...but I agree with you...the SI's are the best blade that I have ever put to my face....sharp, smooth...just perfection....

The Gillette Blacks come though in a VERY close second place for me...

For me, the newly labelled Polsilver-Super Iridiums are nearly impossible to tell the difference....I have pushed the original for longer shaves, but smoothness and sharpness felt the same for me.

0 66
 07-03-2012, 05:13 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
That is interesting and along the lines of what I've read.
I've got some of these coming so hopefully, they work the same for me.

Gillette Blacks are nice as well, a tad less sharp for me than the SI's but I should try them back to back. The Yellow Sharp Edges are sharper IMO but rougher on my face.
Bolzano's are nice and smooth but did not equal the SI's for me. Kai's were a slightly milder Feather and both of these irritated me some without lots of attention paid to angle.

Some claim SuperThins are close to SI's. Still have a pack of those to try.
Permasharps are on the way if they ever ship out from Turkey. I've got some Voskhods to try as well.
I have not had the pleasure of trying a vintage blade. I'm afraid to go there in case they turn out spectacular for me and end up even more unattainable than the SI's!

Now, as SharpSpine mentioned, today's shave with just one day's growth thankfully equaled a very similar experience.
BBS without any irritation and a nice, easy shave from this blade. No nicks, no weepers, no fuss.
If I shave two days in a row, I usually end up with at least some irritation. Not in this case with the SI.

Hopefully. I can get more or these blades and/or the new Polsilver/SI's are the same blade and here's hoping the Permasharps, etc. come very close!

(07-02-2012, 08:02 PM)bluesbishop Wrote: There are many blades I love...but I agree with you...the SI's are the best blade that I have ever put to my face....sharp, smooth...just perfection....

The Gillette Blacks come though in a VERY close second place for me...

For me, the newly labelled Polsilver-Super Iridiums are nearly impossible to tell the difference....I have pushed the original for longer shaves, but smoothness and sharpness felt the same for me.

6 905
 07-03-2012, 06:36 AM
User Info
I recently tried the Iridium Super and was able to get 11 great shaves out of one blade. I then tried a PolSilver. I only got 8 shaves out of a blade, but I felt it was a slightly better blade. I found them both to give me a super close shave, but the PolSilver was a bit less irritating.

0 836
 07-03-2012, 08:29 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Holy cow Pat. I wish that I could come close to 5 shaves with a DE blade. 11 is just amazing to me.

So far, the SI looks like it'll go 4 and maybe beyond.
The only blade that gives me a weeks worth of shaves or more is the Feather Professional I use in the Cobra Classic which is ironic because a Feather DE blade is a two and out for me.

(07-03-2012, 06:36 AM)5Savages Wrote: I recently tried the Iridium Super and was able to get 11 great shaves out of one blade. I then tried a PolSilver. I only got 8 shaves out of a blade, but I felt it was a slightly better blade. I found them both to give me a super close shave, but the PolSilver was a bit less irritating.

6 905
 07-03-2012, 08:44 AM
User Info
(07-03-2012, 08:29 AM)EHV Wrote: Holy cow Pat. I wish that I could come close to 5 shaves with a DE blade. 11 is just amazing to me.

I was a bit shocked too. Up until I tried the Iridium I had never run a blade to the end of its life...I had just tossed it after 3 shaves. I stretched the Iridium because it was the only one I had. After stretching the Iridium and the PolSilver, I took my top blade, the Voskhod as far as it would go and got 5 shaves, though I may have been able to get one more. No sense pushing it as far as I'm concerned.

0 836
 05-12-2013, 10:55 AM
User Info
...And first shave with a Polsilver super iridium blade.
(proraso pre/proraso red croap/tradere oc/simpson duke 2 best/nivea psb/mr taylor no.74)

Want to like this blade... I purchased 200 un-tried, based on reputation alone - f/reckless. I hand stropped and corked the the blade prior to loading up the Tradere OC and then heated. I guess I'm a hybrid latherer using a bowl first with pre heated/soaked Duke 2 and go on to face lathering. The Duke 2 handle is hopeless (for bowl), yet all is forgiven for the 'on the face feel' provided by this humble Simpson.

The Polsilver si is sharp and smoothish, spoilt by being too thin, flexible and insubstantial - simply put: it feels 'cheap'. Wilkinson Sword (black label), Merkur or Persona Red, feel of higher quality to me... ymmv, I assume all blades have the same steel content by weight?

Don't know of any other contemporary three piece razor which offers a more stable platform for a blade than the Tradere. For those with light growth and sensitive face, irritation and burn could result with the Polsilver si.

Ultimately the shave quality delivered by the Polsilver/Tradere OC was the best I have achieved to date (from the Tradere OC), but my face is feeling a little 'burnt'. For me the Dorco 300/Weber was a far more enjoyable shave albeit not as close, enjoy Frank

6 30