10-24-2015, 12:43 PM
User Info
Hi guys--

So I've got a dilemma: I bought a WD Silvertip, and I really liked it: very soft tips, good at lathering.  Problem was, it shedded significantly.  Larry was cool about it and sent me another brush.  After a few uses, the second brush is now doing the same thing, unfortunately.  It is shedding 15+ hairs per use.  I'm having to pluck hairs out of the soap and they're getting caught up in the lather on my face as I'm shaving.  Not fun.  I've done everything he asked I do, including vigorously combing the brush out many times.

I really like Larry and he's tried to solve the problem, but I feel like exchanging the brush for a third one may be a waste of time.  Perhaps his brushes just shed.

Anyone else deal with this problem?  What should I do?

11 967
 10-24-2015, 01:03 PM
User Info
Had the exact same problem with a WD High Mountain brush I bought. Larry was a complete professional about it, and promptly offered a return and refund. I decided not to take a chance on another one, and went with a Frank Shaving Finest. This was almost 3 months ago; the FS knot has shed maybe 6-8 hairs, all within the first couple weeks. It's very dense, with soft "hooked" tips and fairly stout backbone. Very happy with my decision.

All that said, I know many people who have had great brushes from WD so I think it can be a bit hit or miss.

15 1,018
 10-24-2015, 01:19 PM
User Info
I'd have just dealt with Larry directly and he would have made the problem right. He's a stand up guy and super easy to deal with. He already gave u another brush and if u felt like it wasn't wise to get another u should have just asked to return for a refund.

This is just my .02 but it would have been better than starting a thread about it.

82 2,178
 10-24-2015, 02:11 PM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
The OP was asking for advice on what to do next. Seems reasonable to me.

47 677
 10-24-2015, 06:23 PM
User Info
(10-24-2015, 01:19 PM)Skinny Rogers Wrote: I'd have just dealt with Larry directly and he would have made the problem right. He's a stand up guy and super easy to deal with. He already gave u another brush and if u felt like it wasn't wise to get another u should have just asked to return for a refund.

This is just my .02 but it would have been better than starting a thread about it.

Excuse me, but I think you are unfairly judging my reasons for posting.  I didn't "feel like it wasn't wise to get another brush."  That is a wholly inaccurate description of my frame of mind.  On the contrary, I was genuinely hoping that a new brush would work.  I don't have that much experience purchasing badger brushes, have not been in this situation before, and I genuinely want to do the right thing.  Which is why I reached out to those on this forum with more experience than me.  I thought that was what this forum is for.

11 967
 10-24-2015, 10:19 PM
User Info
ask for a third brush or a refund. As beautiful as the knots may be, in your case it is a bad batch, obviously.

21 1,175
 10-25-2015, 12:39 AM
User Info
What temperature is your soaking water? 

Rule of thumb: if it's too hot for your hand it's too hot for the brush.

18 642
 10-25-2015, 07:37 AM
User Info
(10-25-2015, 12:39 AM)GloryUprising Wrote: What temperature is your soaking water? 

Rule of thumb: if it's too hot for your hand it's too hot for the brush.

I use warm water so don't think it's that.  But thanks for the input!

11 967
 10-25-2015, 10:01 AM
User Info
I would talk to Larry to get his thoughts on the situation and, then, both of you can try to reach an amicable resolution.
Good luck.

82 21,056
 10-25-2015, 10:18 AM
User Info
One of my first brushes was a WD. The knot he sent was out of round with a flat spot on one side. He sent me a replacement the next day at no charge. Larry seems like an upstanding guy from what I've heard and experienced. Give him another chance to make things right.

9 202
 10-25-2015, 11:22 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Larry is a good guy, but IMHO, his brushes are quite subpar.  You gave him two shots to make good, so you don't have to feel bad about this thread.

Sometimes 2 cents is worth exactly that.

1 795
 10-28-2015, 08:47 AM
User Info
WD are soft and a little bit floppy brushes,for me this isn't good
I don't that they are bad because another shaver may like their softness.
Mr Larry is an excellent guy,explain him his problem and he will find a solution for you.
His customer care attitude is unique,i know it by first hand.

0 353
 10-28-2015, 09:04 AM
User Info
I know Larry will make it right for you whether you choose to try a third brush or get a refund.  

I had a shedding problem last year on a badger brush, and he gave me some things to try, which didn't work.  He then sent me a new brush with no out-of-pocket expense to me.  The second brush worked great!

1 135
 11-03-2015, 02:10 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I bought a WD pure well over a year ago. It was a shedder from day one; 2-3 hairs every use. So i stopped using it. Literally a year and a half later, on a lark i emailed Larry and wxplained the problem. He had me send it back and then he replaced the pure knot with a deep-set silvertip knot (for a minor upcharge). This knot doesn't shed and I'm pleased with the brush AND Larry's customer service.

4 1,915