10-24-2015, 04:57 PM
User Info
I've recently become aware that WSP makes a soap that is supposed to be based off of the Martin de Candre formula. The ingredients list is almost identical, so I was wondering how it compares. Martin de Candre has a fairly extensive drying process, and I don't know how big of a role that plays in its performance. Has anyone tried both soaps to do a comparison?

I've heard a lot of talk about MdC, as it is frequently cited to be one of the best soaps out there, but I've heard almost no talk of WSP. If WSP is as good as MdC, then shouldn't it be raved about just as often?

3 196
 10-24-2015, 06:16 PM
User Info
Just because something has the same ingredients doesn't make it "as good", similar to how a cup of low-grade filter coffee certainly is nowhere near equivalent to a pour over using freshly roasted and skillfully sourced beans. In both cases, the ingredients are functionally identical, but the quality, process, and end result are different.

3 1,484
 10-24-2015, 06:19 PM
User Info
there are a lot of soaps that have pretty much the same ingredients as MdC.  in my experience, many of them have similar qualities.

on the other hand, I'm not a big fan of MdC.

2 1,394
 10-24-2015, 06:45 PM
User Info
(10-24-2015, 04:57 PM)TropicalHotDog Wrote: I've recently become aware that WSP makes a soap that is supposed to be based off of the Martin de Candre formula. The ingredients list is almost identical, so I was wondering how it compares. Martin de Candre has a fairly extensive drying process, and I don't know how big of a role that plays in its performance. Has anyone tried both soaps to do a comparison?

I've heard a lot of talk about MdC, as it is frequently cited to be one of the best soaps out there, but I've heard almost no talk of WSP. If WSP is as good as MdC, then shouldn't it be raved about just as often?

I think it's very close, and given the price difference well worth your time. I'm also a fan of the variety of scents that are available from WSP. Having said that, there is something special about MdC and I will always have some in my den, regardless of the lower priced clones that are available.

6 36
 10-24-2015, 08:58 PM
User Info
(10-24-2015, 06:16 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote: Just because something has the same ingredients doesn't make it "as good", similar to how a cup of low-grade filter coffee certainly is nowhere near equivalent to a pour over using freshly roasted and skillfully sourced beans. In both cases, the ingredients are functionally identical, but the quality, process, and end result are different.

Yes, this is precisely the concern. The ingredients are the same, but the process probably is not.

I've been using MdC almost daily for the past couple of months, and I've found that it's not the be all and end all of soaps, but it's good enough for me to want to keep around. It would certainly be nice to find an inexpensive alternative.

3 196
 10-24-2015, 09:35 PM
User Info
(10-24-2015, 08:58 PM)TropicalHotDog Wrote:
(10-24-2015, 06:16 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote: Just because something has the same ingredients doesn't make it "as good", similar to how a cup of low-grade filter coffee certainly is nowhere near equivalent to a pour over using freshly roasted and skillfully sourced beans. In both cases, the ingredients are functionally identical, but the quality, process, and end result are different.

Yes, this is precisely the concern. The ingredients are the same, but the process probably is not.

I've been using MdC almost daily for the past couple of months, and I've found that it's not the be all and end all of soaps, but it's good enough for me to want to keep around. It would certainly be nice to find an inexpensive alternative.

I've never tried MdC but hear Catie's Bubbles is very close and possibly better. I have Catie's and it is excellent and it looks like the same consistency.

13 947
 10-24-2015, 10:07 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
This is certainly closer (WSP to MdC) than your  analogy. I have both and while there may be a slight difference in performance , the price difference and the choices of fragrances do make WSP worthy of a comparison conversation.

7 2,281
 10-25-2015, 02:20 AM
User Info
As far as I know, the only difference between WSP and MdC is curing time. If Lee were to cure his soaps for 3 months or whatever, I'm fairly confident it would be right there with MdC.

15 1,018
 10-25-2015, 06:31 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I have and use both. Almost a coin toss. WSP Rustic Shaving Soap is the better value money wise.

Los Angeles Shaving Soap is another that is pretty much a coin toss for me.

4 2,694
 10-25-2015, 06:46 AM
User Info
WSP shaving soap is excellent. I too wonder why it isn't talked about more. The WSP soaps are as good as MdC IMO, and at a fraction of the price. Their new FORMULA T soaps with tallow are really out of this world! The Mahogany and Tobacco scents are my favorites, and the Lavender is very nice too.

An earlier post mentioned curing time -- I have no information about this, but if curing means allowing the soap to be exposed to air, I suppose a "home cure" might eliminate any advantage MdC has over WSP shaving soap. Speaking personally, when my jar of MdC is empty, I doubt I will purchase more, but the WSP Formula T soaps are on my DO NOT RUN OUT OF list.

5 395
 10-25-2015, 01:57 PM
User Info
I have used both.  To me they are not close.  The wsp is decent soap. While it may be made with the same ingredients, it is NOT MdC.  To me MdC is on the next tier.  The WSP is not in my bathroom anymore.  MdC will always be in my bathroom (god willing).

87 892
 10-25-2015, 02:01 PM
User Info
(10-24-2015, 09:35 PM)Hobbyist Wrote:
(10-24-2015, 08:58 PM)TropicalHotDog Wrote:

I've never tried MdC but hear Catie's Bubbles is very close and possibly better. I have Catie's and it is excellent and it looks like the same consistency.
I am sorry to disagree. Catie's Bubbles and MdC have nothing in common.

39 3,877
 10-25-2015, 02:26 PM
User Info
(10-25-2015, 02:01 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(10-24-2015, 08:58 PM)TropicalHotDog Wrote: Yes, this is precisely the concern. The ingredients are the same, but the process probably is not.

Not to derail this thread, but can you elaborate?  I've always felt CB was pretty close to MdC but with a shorter cure. I'm referring to the original formula CB, not French+. CB is not as dense, but I attributed that to the cure. I recently left a tub open a few months -- it lost a lot of water weight, but it's more dense now. Probably won't do that again, but it was a fun experiment.

14 153
 10-25-2015, 02:37 PM
User Info
I have never heard that Catie's Bubbles was a MdC copy, but now I am a bit curious. The ingredients are similar, but they don't claim to be replicating MdC, do they?

3 196
 10-25-2015, 03:55 PM
User Info
(10-25-2015, 02:37 PM)TropicalHotDog Wrote: I have never heard that Catie's Bubbles was a MdC copy, but now I am a bit curious. The ingredients are similar, but they don't claim to be replicating MdC, do they?

I don't consider Catie's to be a copy of anything and as far as I know neither does the owner. However, the ingredients for CB French and MdC are the same and I thought the consistency was similar too but perhaps not according to some on here. I was merely going from videos I have seen of MdC, but I have read reviews that say the two are very similar in performance and that CB is every bit as good and with more scents. I guess since I haven't tried MdC I shouldn't have compared the two but that is what I heard. Regardless, CB is a soap worth trying and will always have a spot in my rotation.

13 947
 10-25-2015, 03:58 PM
User Info
(10-24-2015, 08:58 PM)TropicalHotDog Wrote: Yes, this is precisely the concern. The ingredients are the same, but the process probably is not.

This^^^^^^^^^

61 3,796
 10-25-2015, 04:05 PM
User Info
(10-25-2015, 03:58 PM)hrfdez Wrote:
(10-24-2015, 09:35 PM)Hobbyist Wrote: I've never tried MdC but hear Catie's Bubbles is very close and possibly better. I have Catie's and it is excellent and it looks like the same consistency.

This^^^^^^^^^

Guess I was wrong, but I did say "I hear" they are similar. I will be trying MdC soon and looking forward to it.

13 947
 10-25-2015, 04:29 PM
User Info
(10-25-2015, 03:55 PM)Hobbyist Wrote:
(10-25-2015, 02:37 PM)TropicalHotDog Wrote: I have never heard that Catie's Bubbles was a MdC copy, but now I am a bit curious. The ingredients are similar, but they don't claim to be replicating MdC, do they?

I don't consider Catie's to be a copy of anything and as far as I know neither does the owner. However, the ingredients for CB French and MdC are the same and I thought the consistency was similar too but perhaps not according to some on here. I was merely going from videos I have seen of MdC, but I have read reviews that say the two are very similar in performance and that CB is every bit as good and with more scents. I guess since I haven't tried MdC I shouldn't have compared the two but that is what I heard. Regardless, CB is a soap worth trying and will always have a spot in my rotation.
For some CB is a great soap. For me, I had issues with burning (Le Piment de la Vie) even though I really enjoyed the scent; Glacé Herbe (The soap couldn't decide if it was a Vetiver or a menthol and had the dubious scent of old books); Mile High Menthol (I simply couldn't acquire a liking of the scent); finally Tonsorial Parlour, with it's Lemon Verbena scent is the one CB still in my den. The consistency of the soap is medium soft. Whether or not 3 months of curing would make it like MdC, I don't know. Both lather well; but the slickness, IMO, favors MdC. If price is an object with you, CB's price point is significantly lower. Both are soaps worth trying, but for me MdC is the one worth keeping. YMMV, naturally.
But back to the OP's question, WSP does make a good soap. Not as good as MdC, but also worth trying.

39 3,877
 10-25-2015, 04:30 PM
User Info
(10-25-2015, 04:05 PM)Hobbyist Wrote:
(10-25-2015, 03:58 PM)hrfdez Wrote:
(10-25-2015, 02:01 PM)primotenore Wrote: I am sorry to disagree. Catie's Bubbles and MdC have nothing in common.

This^^^^^^^^^

Guess I was wrong, but I did say "I hear" they are similar. I will be trying MdC soon and looking forward to it.

The similarity really ends at the ingredient list. As another poster mentioned, don't put a ton of faith in just the ingredients list though. The % of stearic acid and coconut oil makes all the difference. MdC is a fairly high SA % if I remember correctly, so just because you see a soap that uses those two you can't say they're MdC clones.

That said, I think WSP has come the closest with getting the proportions right.

15 1,018
 10-25-2015, 06:07 PM
User Info
(10-25-2015, 04:30 PM)crazindndude Wrote:
(10-25-2015, 04:05 PM)Hobbyist Wrote:
(10-25-2015, 03:58 PM)hrfdez Wrote: This^^^^^^^^^

The similarity really ends at the ingredient list. As another poster mentioned, don't put a ton of faith in just the ingredients list though. The % of stearic acid and coconut oil makes all the difference. MdC is a fairly high SA % if I remember correctly, so just because you see a soap that uses those two you can't say they're MdC clones.

That said, I think WSP has come the closest with getting the proportions right.

I'm not sure how my original post came across as CB is a clone. I think someone simply misread it, because all I said is I heard they are similar and that they do have the same ingredients and I thought I heard the consistency was similar too, which apparently I was wrong. I am ordering some this week to try and can't wait, especially now that I know it is going to be a different experience. I held off for a long time because I had heard it was like CB so I figured why even but it since I'm happy with CB. 

You are correct with percentages and ingredients which I realize too. I make bath and facial soaps via cold process for personal use and friends and family. I have a few formulas with the exact same ingredients but completely different percentages and the performance in the shower is very different. I've never attempted a shave soap or hot process for that matter, but probably will eventually.

I need to try WSP now. Most reviews I read for it are very positive.

13 947