07-02-2012, 08:56 AM
User Info
I made these yesterday. 2 butts rubbed with 2 tab;espoons of lt brown sugar and a generous amount of "pastrami spice" (gran. garlic, BP, and ground coriander) Allowed to sit for a few days, then cooked/smoked at 250°F until an internal temp of 200°F was reached. Maple chunks used for smoke. One took 3 hours longer to get there than the first one.

The first one had to be taken off of the grates with tongs.
[Image: Untitled-3.jpg]

This is the pulled pork from the first one.
[Image: DSC03680-1.jpg]

And the second one.
[Image: Untitled-4.jpg]

And the cooker all set up and cooking.
[Image: Untitled-5.jpg]

32 6,308
 07-02-2012, 09:30 AM
User Info
Looks great! I wish I had a smoker but I've had success doing butts in the oven on low heat. I do both a mustard rub and then a dry rub. I'm partial to the Carolina vinegar sauce (can't remember if that's East or West), and I'll mop with that when it's just about ready, and sauce it up a little after pulling, too.

I miss the smoke, though. Sad

4 112
 07-02-2012, 09:37 AM
User Info
That looks great. Now what's on the menu for the 4th, our national bird (turkey)?

183 12,002
 07-02-2012, 09:44 AM
User Info
Wow, what a great smoker! Is that a ceramic direct and indirect heat smoker?
I have an off-set smoker. I really want to get a tow-behind that can handle about 30 slabs of baby backs, but I don't have the cash. BBQ is a good weekend roaside business where I live.

For the 4th I'm smoking a brisket and a pork shoulder. Sliced, pulled and chunks.
Seriously Brian, we do have a lot in common. Brother to another Mother. LOL

The brisket will get my rub and smoke at 230° to an internal temp of 190°. Mopped with apple cider vinegar and apple juice. Smoked over Hickory, Apple and Cherry.

The pork will get a slightly similar rub, smoke at 275° to an internal of 195°. Apple juice spray, smoked over cherry and apple, glazed with raspberry jelly--might sound odd, but it's really good.

I just sharpened my slicing knife last night. I went a bit crazy and sharpened it on my Naniwa Super Stones up to 8k grit and good lord is it sharp. LOL
Today I'm trimming the meat, applying the rub, wrapping and let marinade over night. Nothing like kicking back with a few (several) beers and smoking some meat.

I'll add pics when I get things rollin.:wink

9 451
 07-02-2012, 09:50 AM
User Info
Wow, Brian, that is a great looking cooker.

75 20,883
 07-02-2012, 10:55 AM
User Info
I love BBQ, any regional sauce or none. Pork ribs, Brisket, pulled pork, pulled beef, spatchcocked chicken or turkey, pastrami, Canadian bacon, it's all excellent. Probably my favorite BBQ of all time is short ribs though. I could OD on them. I marinate them for a few days in my own concoction, then cook/smoke them for a few hours at 250°F with some cherry smoke. Heaven on a plate. Eat 'em like any other ribs, with fingers and a messy face, get right in there.

What will we have for the 4th? I doubt a turkey. Probably grilled steak of some sort, baked russet potato, green salad, and a wine. I just checked with SWMBO and she approves the steak idea.

John, yeah, I told you we were Biggrin . The cooker is maybe 8 years old, but that's just a guess. It's both direct and indirect depending on how I set up the internals. I add firebrick on the drip grates to make it indirect (Primo sells thin ceramic D-plates now for the heat shield). Indirect and with the electronic control in place, it works great as an oven or a smoke cooker with accuracy no indoor oven can hope to achieve, or even under manual control for that matter. As a direct grill, I can get blast furnace temperatures, but that really isn't required if I just fill the firebox to the maximum and flip the grates over to get the fire and the grates really close. A ribeye done that way is to kill for... with a little cherry smoke, you'd think you died and went to heaven.

I've really been spoiled by having it. I consider it every bit as important as my indoor cooking appliances now. For years I grilled with gas and could never get the flavor I wanted. Flavor that I knew existed. I'd go camping and cook over hardwood coals from the fire and get "that" flavor. Then the lightbulb went off in my head. It was obvious and there all the time, I had just been seduced by another industry and the supposed ease of use. Similar to what happened with cartridge shaving. After my first steak cooked on it, that night in fact, I gave my Ducane gasser away to my neighbor, and I had just refurbished it too. I knew I'd never cook on it again.

32 6,308
 07-02-2012, 11:09 AM
User Info
I really dislike you...........

and I shouldn't of opened this thread.

Angry

40 5,830
 07-02-2012, 11:47 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
My wife is smoking a brisket as I type. We will be having some Texas style barbeque on the 4th. Emmmmmmmmm good.

173 23,483
 07-02-2012, 12:23 PM
  • Manticore
  • Old And In The Way
  • Manchester, New Hampshire
User Info
Have 8 racks of ribs waiting to go into the pit Wednesday morning around 10:00. Wink Yummmmmm

Most folks here in New England think Grilling is BBQ.

I show them the difference as often as possible.

I usually try to hold the pit at 225°F, low & slow.

We rub the ribs down with a mixture of Tony Chachere's seasoning and brown sugar. Then whilst they are smoking I spray them every 20 to 30 minutes with a mixture I call Armadillo Piss using a hand sprayer. The secret is in the spray! After 5 to 6 hours you have absolute Heaven falling off of them Bones!

0 136
 07-02-2012, 12:56 PM
  • PAW
  • Wet Shaver Addict
  • Illinois
User Info
Look what you have done, now I'm hungry Hambre

When's dinner?

0 197
 07-02-2012, 03:04 PM
User Info
Just had it. Biggrin

Our friend has come and gone, but there's plenty left PAW. Sweet corn from last years harvest and yeast rolls went with it.

32 6,308
 07-02-2012, 03:17 PM
User Info
I have a propane grill, but it's been sacked for parts and it's just rusting away. Wood adds a flavor like nothing else and I consider it an ingredient to whatever I'm cooking, I won't use anything else.

Those short ribs so good and I'd love to make some, but beef prices are far to high. I've been sticking with pork and chicken, but now pork prices are high. I usually buy by the case, $75 for a case (12 slabs) of baby backs is unbeatable and they're hands down my favorite grill meat.

I'd agree that a spray is important on a lot of meat, but a vinegar & liquid butter spray is one of my favorites for chicken. It seems to penetrate the meat like nothing else. I like glazes and fruit based sprays on pork. I like to keep beef pretty basic and simply mop it with a thin tangy pepper sauce.

I think I like coming up with new rubs and sauces about as much as grillin. I made a mango habanero glaze for my baby backs and it was great. I just scribble out the base flavors and work around that. Choosing the right wood was important, so I used peach, because the habaneros had a peach type taste.

For us, the 4th is all about cooking, ice chests full of beer and a designated fireworks guy. Last year we had nearly $6,000 in fun stuff. We gather at my fiance's Grandmothers house, she has a huge pool and plenty of seating. My brother in-law deep fries beer battered Blue fish--he goes fishing for them every year. Tons of food that disappears really fast.

I wish I had Brian for a neighbor, we would blanket the entie area in smoke. BTW Brian, don't call it "Southern BBQ", those guys south of us don't respect us and call us Yanks. I've always called mine, "Yankie BBQ". I live right along the Mason-Dixon line, so I hear the trash talk a good bit.

Good lord, when I start in on BBQ I just keep goin. Biggrin

9 451
 07-02-2012, 07:22 PM
User Info
OK, Yankee BBQ it is. I just dislike calling it "BBQ", 'cause people up here think BBQ is grilling.

There's nothing else like the scent of meat and wood smoke coming out of the cooker. I think I'd like to make an AS with that scent if I could capture it.

At one time I had the capability of buying Canadian beef at wholesale + 10% and lots of other items as well, but that dried up. Now we use a local butcher and make use of his specials as they come up. If I remember accurately those short ribs (nice and meaty) were about $3/lb so we stocked up. We can also buy local grass fed beef, just on the other side of the mountain, by the side or the whole steer for a reasonable price, but that's a lot of beef at one whack. That beef would be organic if he didn't use fertilizer on his hay fields, but he does, so it isn't.

32 6,308
 07-02-2012, 07:26 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(07-02-2012, 03:17 PM)Johnny9 Wrote: I wish I had Brian for a neighbor, we would blanket the entie area in smoke. BTW Brian, don't call it "Southern BBQ", those guys south of us don't respect us and call us Yanks. I've always called mine, "Yankie BBQ". I live right along the Mason-Dixon line, so I hear the trash talk a good bit.

Good lord, when I start in on BBQ I just keep goin. Biggrin

Sprinkle Red-Eye gravy over your head 3 times in deep contemplation. You will then be a baptised Southerner and won't have to put up with the trash talk! Biggrin

0 396
 07-26-2012, 05:01 PM
User Info
A good BBQ is definitely one of the finer things in life. Thanks for making me hungry at work.

0 95
 06-08-2014, 10:28 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I vote for a Shave Nook BBQ at Brian's House on July 4th. Tongue

45 16,276
 06-08-2014, 10:33 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I second the motion ... Babeando

102 17,661
 06-09-2014, 04:36 PM
User Info
I love the Oval Primo with the controller.

18 567