10-25-2015, 12:15 PM
User Info
Narrowing it down,  my blade test so far:

Feather Hi-Stainless - 1 ok day (rank 5) (this may have been a bad blade giving it another shot)
Gillette 7 O'clock Black - 3 good days (3)
Gillette Silver Blue - 4 days, smooth as silk first 3 days (1)
Personna Med Prep - 7 days *day 1 felt a bit aggressive, smooth(ish) after that, last day ok but not great. (2) 
Kai - 3 days *day 1 not that smooth, day 2 better (4)
PolSilver - 2 days so far, day 2 (today) felt better than day 1. (?)

Why are day 2 shaves on some blades better than day 1?  I found several theories but no solid explanation.  Sharper means fewer imperfections which should make a smoother shave.  I definitely can feel the difference so something is up with the blade on day 1.

1 64
 10-25-2015, 01:35 PM
User Info
Day 2 shaves are better for me almost regardless of what blade I use.  

My blade of choice is the Polsilver SI.  You'll find it lasts longer than the others on your list.  If you got 7 shaves out of a Personna Med Prep you should easily get 9 or 10 out of the Polsilver.  

You might try a very brief, very light palm strop before the first shave with a new blade; makes it a little less harsh, IME.

2 1,397
 10-25-2015, 01:42 PM
User Info
Many people, on many forums, find the second use of a blade to be better than the first. I've heard the explanations - the blade gets smoother, it's not as rough, etc.
Although I find this very strange, because for me Day 1 was definitely superior ... 'was', since I don't do two shaves on one blade anymore. I just do one shave, which is brilliant, and chuck in the next blade.

0 60
 10-25-2015, 02:40 PM
User Info
Most of my first shaves with a new blade are usually quite good and mine usually last 7-10 shaves. I use the Wizamet Super Iridiums.

82 21,056
 10-25-2015, 02:50 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(10-25-2015, 02:40 PM)celestino Wrote: Most of my first shaves with a new blade are usually quite good and mine usually last 7-10 shaves. I use the Wizamet Super Iridiums.

Well, the printing on the blade itself says “Super Iridium,” but the printing on the outer box that the blades come in says “Iridium Super.”  The discrepancy may be a hangover from the transfer of production from Poland to PPI, or just a means of reassuring shavers in Poland that the box they have become accustomed to in Polish retail stores still contains blades of the quality they expect.  

Or the discrepancy could be garden variety sloppiness.

0 1,054
 10-25-2015, 05:26 PM
User Info
I've found that the 2nd and 3rd shaves are the smoothest due to the 1st shave smoothing out any minor imperfections on the cutting edge from the production process.

0 31
 10-25-2015, 05:34 PM
User Info
I prefer day 2 and day 3 on my DE blades, but day 1 is just fine as well.

I mostly use my DE blades for 2.nd and 3.rd pass these days though.

My 4 favourite DE blades at the moment:

1. Kai - best in my Pils, day 1 as good as day 2 and day 3
2. Feather - best in my Twist R89, day 2 and day 3 are the best
3. Polsilver SI - best in my Twist R41, day 2-4 are best
4. Silver Blue - best in my Futur, day 2-3 are the best

24 5,858
 10-25-2015, 07:08 PM
User Info
(10-25-2015, 02:50 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(10-25-2015, 02:40 PM)celestino Wrote: Most of my first shaves with a new blade are usually quite good and mine usually last 7-10 shaves. I use the Wizamet Super Iridiums.

Well, the printing on the blade itself says “Super Iridium,” but the printing on the outer box that the blades come in says “Iridium Super.”  The discrepancy may be a hangover from the transfer of production from Poland to PPI, or just a means of reassuring shavers in Poland that the box they have become accustomed to in Polish retail stores still contains blades of the quality they expect.  

Or the discrepancy could be garden variety sloppiness.

True indeed, and I should have stated Iridium Supers. Shy

82 21,056
 10-26-2015, 06:09 PM
User Info
Decided to take a few pics.  Discovered why my fav blade (SilverBlue) felt so good first day as opposed to others.  Here are a couple pics of the edge of PolSilver, which felt a bit rough first day and a couple of the SilverBlue, which felt great first day.  Both blades are new.

I used 2 lights.  One side light and one directly onto the subject from the scope.  With full lighting the blades show imperfection but on the SB they seem to be smaller and more regular.  SB's also have a wider grind area and a smoother inside bevel.  With only side light you can see how the imperfections actually make up thousands of tiny daggers that sometimes extend upward past the start of the final blade bevel.  They must also extend outward from the surface from the shadows they cast.  On the SB the transition area is more defined and regular.

I took pics of a few others that felt rough the first day and they all showed the same dagger like flaws at the edge of the final bevel area.  No wonder they felt rough first day.
[Image: Blades.jpg]

1 64
 10-26-2015, 08:12 PM
User Info
Interesting.  I recently got Polsilvers and I had the same experience.  A bit harsh the first day, days 2-4 were better.

11 968
 10-27-2015, 06:29 AM
User Info
i find 1. shaving with a new blade in general being awsome, but i go lightly. 2. shave is a tiny bit smoother, possibly because the jagged edge of a new blade has already been "stropped" against the skin and hairs and soap during the previous shave.

iridium is iridium - wording super seems to come from super stainless/extra stainless.

[Image: UranJFp.jpg]

7 1,624
 10-27-2015, 06:42 AM
User Info
(10-26-2015, 08:12 PM)surfshaver Wrote: Interesting.  I recently got Polsilvers and I had the same experience.  A bit harsh the first day, days 2-4 were better.

I have found this to be the case also, but after that, they are sweet for at least three good shaves.

61 3,796
 10-27-2015, 08:12 AM
User Info
(10-27-2015, 06:42 AM)hrfdez Wrote:
(10-26-2015, 08:12 PM)surfshaver Wrote: Interesting.  I recently got Polsilvers and I had the same experience.  A bit harsh the first day, days 2-4 were better.

I have found this to be the case also, but after that, they are sweet for at least three good shaves.

Now that my curiosity about day one roughness has been satisfied (a bit), I'm going to see if I can set up a way to get images of the blade edge dead on or close to 0 degrees instead of 90.  Will it look like a ruffled potato chip?  A mountain range?  Considering what the pics above of the highly rated PolSilver reveal it's hard to grasp how we can get a good shave in the first place.  Our skin should be shredded with some blades.  Consider though that a human hair would fill the photo field. 

Edit:  REcently discovered that my pics are only 200x-400x at best.  With 5x zoom I may be able to get to 800x.  10 human hairs would bill the frame on the pics above.

1 64