10-26-2015, 06:10 AM
User Info
I finally got around to trying Provence Sante that I have had for a little bit.  I have the Verlaine scent.  I shaved with it Saturday, Sunday and Monday.  

1).  I don't really like the Verlaine scent.  It is very floral and potent.  Now I am not saying it is a bad scent, but for me I am not a huge floral scent fan.  When Im dead, it is fine to give me flowers.  Other than that, give them to your mother, wife, sister, etc.  

2).  The soap itself is very good.  I think fram773 originally mentioned it to me in a previous thread.  It provides good protection.  Takes a good amount of water.  Lathers pretty easily and lasts.  It doesn't get a lot of talk around these parts, but it is a very good soap.  

3) At 6.99 per puck, I went ahead and ordered 2 pucks of the Green Tea fragrance which I think, based on the description I will like better than the Verlaine.  At $7 bucks a puck, it is a phenomenal value.  

Thought I would get a nod to a good soap, and to fram773 for nudging me to use a soap that has been sitting at the back of my closet.

90 899
 10-26-2015, 06:22 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(10-26-2015, 06:10 AM)chromedometone Wrote: I went ahead and ordered 2 pucks of the Green Tea fragrance which I think, based on the description I will like better than the Verlaine.  At $7 bucks a puck, it is a phenomenal value. 

More than once, I have ventured out onto the perilous waters here to offer the opinion that Provence Santé Green Tea presets the best scent of any shave soap that I ever have used, and I continue to hold that opinion today.  It also responds eagerly to the Bloom Water Lathering (<=link) technique, which is my preferred means to build a lather these days.

1 1,089
 10-26-2015, 11:27 AM
User Info
Glad you liked it. I love the Verlaine, it is probably my favorite scent, but I can understand some macho manly men not liking it. Keep trying it and it might grow on you though. I just find it very soothing and relaxing. The soap has only average slickness IMO, but the protection and post-shave are unrivaled. It is a well kept secret among a sea of overrated "artisan" soaps. I know Shadowsdad also uses it.

18 713
 10-26-2015, 11:32 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I think Provence Sante is an outstanding soap, and probably the best soap for the price as a puck seems to last for months of daily use.

38 5,115
 10-26-2015, 11:45 AM
User Info
(10-26-2015, 11:27 AM)fram773 Wrote: Glad you liked it. I love the Verlaine, it is probably my favorite scent, but I can understand some macho manly men not liking it. Keep trying it and it might grow on you though. I just find it very soothing and relaxing. The soap has only average slickness IMO, but the protection and post-shave are unrivaled. It is a well kept secret among a sea of overrated "artisan" soaps. I know Shadowsdad also uses it.

You're right about slickness. Tht is probably the only area it is lacking.  It's not terrible but could be more slick.  I notice a fair amout of film left after my razor (using my new r1) goes over a spot. Now that could also be user error as I have to dial in on the water amounts but it just seems it could use a little more slickness. 

I am going to continue to use the verlaine and try to finish th whole puck. Don't get me wrong it is not a bad floral scent. I just don't like a floral scent.  Manly or not.

90 899
 10-27-2015, 08:28 AM
User Info
I was not crazy about the scent of Verlaine but over time it grew on me, now it is one of my favorites. I think it mellowed over time so if you use it and let it dry open air it might tame it a little. But then again it could be that I just changed my mind on the scent. The soap is a fantastic performer, seems to never fail to lather easily and lasts a loooong time. I've been hitting the PS pretty hard lately trying to use it up to justify my ongoing purchases of more soap but I don't think I have even gotten 50% through it yet. Perhaps I will give the green tea a try if I ever get through my current puck.

4 105
 10-27-2015, 09:01 AM
User Info
(10-26-2015, 06:22 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote: More than once, I have ventured out onto the perilous waters here to offer the opinion that Provence Santé Green Tea presets the best scent of [b]any shave soap that I ever have used, and I continue to hold that opinion today[/b].  It also responds eagerly to the Bloom Water Lathering (<=link) technique, which is my preferred means to build a lather these days.

I guess I need to try this soap! Biggrin

83 21,081
 10-27-2015, 09:07 AM
User Info
I did a test on its longevity and found it is only $0.07 a use. Compare that to caties bubbles at $0.25 a use.

18 713
 10-27-2015, 09:35 AM
User Info
I don't have much of a concern with soaps and their price, in general, as I just find most to be such a great value considering most will last, at least, one month or more and for $10-20, that is a great value if you enjoy the scent and the lather. Of course, I know this is all subjective.  Shy

Out of curiosity, do you use a thick or thinner lather?

83 21,081
 10-27-2015, 10:18 AM
User Info
(10-27-2015, 09:35 AM)celestino Wrote: I don't have much of a concern with soaps and their price, in general, as I just find most to be such a great value considering most will last, at least, one month or more and for $10-20, that is a great value if you enjoy the scent and the lather. Of course, I know this is all subjective.  Shy

Out of curiosity, do you use a thick or thinner lather?

I like a thick lather.  This morning I was able to get the best lather yet with PS.  I had to go back to the water a few times and keep swirling around my face, but at the end it was the best lather yet.  As for the scent, I leave all my soaps open to dry except for MdC fougere.  I let it dry for 24 hours and then cover because I want the scent to last forever and ever and ever...

90 899
 10-27-2015, 01:30 PM
User Info
Green Tea soap is on my list. I have the aftershave - can anyone comment on how close they are in scent?

16 1,027
 10-27-2015, 02:02 PM
User Info
I also like a thick lather. As an experiment where you can objectively judge the superior protection of Provence Sante you can try using alcohol based after-shave like Pinaud and see if it burns; then compare it with literally any other soap. I am not sure if I have even experienced sting even once while using PS. I have while even using other very good soaps such as Mitchell's Wool Fat.

18 713
 10-27-2015, 02:21 PM
User Info
(10-27-2015, 02:02 PM)fram773 Wrote: I also like a thick lather. As an experiment where you can objectively judge the superior protection of Provence Sante you can try using alcohol based after-shave like Pinaud and see if it burns; then compare it with literally any other soap. I am not sure if I have even experienced sting even once while using PS. I have while even using other very good soaps such as Mitchell's Wool Fat.

Now, I am very curious to see how this compares to my favourite soap with regards to post-shave. Shy

83 21,081
 10-28-2015, 05:58 AM
User Info
(10-27-2015, 02:21 PM)celestino Wrote: Now, I am very curious to see how this compares to my favourite soap with regards to post-shave. Shy

Knowing you I don't think I will convince you that it equals that other soap that you have mentioned once or twice Rolleyes but it is close. All this PS talk made me bring it out today and let me tell you, it just works. It is a complete no brainer to lather, just bloom, get the brush somewhere in the vicinity of wet and lather. No fuss, no drama, just great lather. I paid a little more attention to the scent and I suppose it is floral but for me it is a familiar scent, I pick it up this smell from different things during the day and it is a pleasant reminder of an awesome shave.

OK, enough gushing, I had the green tea in my shopping cart last night but declined to purchase it. Keep thinking about the best scent ever comment but I must show self control. Use one puck up, then buy a new one... we'll see...

4 105
 10-28-2015, 06:13 AM
User Info
Thank you for your encouraging words and I look forward to trying the soap.
I just asked a friend to pick up a puck when he heads to Blaine, WA, and I can offer my impressions after I try it.

Great to hear you are enjoying the soap. Shy

83 21,081
 10-28-2015, 09:45 AM
User Info
I have the Verlain as well, but I love the scent. It's a great soap, indeed.

10 1,858
 10-29-2015, 07:19 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(10-26-2015, 06:22 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(10-26-2015, 06:10 AM)chromedometone Wrote: I went ahead and ordered 2 pucks of the Green Tea fragrance which I think, based on the description I will like better than the Verlaine.  At $7 bucks a puck, it is a phenomenal value. 
Provence Santé Green Tea .  .  . also responds eagerly to the Bloom Water Lathering (<=link) technique, which is my preferred means to build a lather these days.

To wit:
[Image: kLjLeNc.jpg]
Bloom water sitting atop a puck of Provence Santé Green Tea shave soap

[Image: 2LXFQCY.jpg]
The Provence Santé bloom water of the photo above has been transferred to a preheated ceramic mug and whipped up with an until-then  dry (synthetic) brush for about 30 seconds;
the brush has not touched the surface of the puck; this is the result of whipping just the transferred bloom water.

[Image: UMCA4jC.jpg]
After face lathering and a two-pass+touch-up shave, this is what the brush looks like.  It was a good shave, BTW.

1 1,089
 10-30-2015, 03:08 PM
User Info
The verlain is growing on me. Not enough to buy that scent again but enough not to hate it

90 899
 10-31-2015, 07:41 AM
User Info
(10-30-2015, 03:08 PM)chromedometone Wrote: The verlain is growing on me. Not enough to buy that scent again but enough not to hate it

It will be around for a while, I'd estimate that I am only half way through the puck I have and I use it a lot. 

And you guys are bad influences... After hemming and hawing I have a puck if the green tea on the way to me to add to the growing heap. Someone needs to make a soap that gets used up faster. Maybe 25 or so shaves and it's gone. It would make my habit of buying more soaps so much less insane.

4 105
 10-31-2015, 07:45 AM
User Info
(10-31-2015, 07:41 AM)sgemmett Wrote:
(10-30-2015, 03:08 PM)chromedometone Wrote: The verlain is growing on me. Not enough to buy that scent again but enough not to hate it

Someone needs to make a soap that gets used up faster. Maybe 25 or so shaves and it's gone. It would make my habit of buying more soaps so much less insane.

They do make it and it is called Proraso.

18 713