10-27-2015, 08:37 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have temporarily changed my avatar in honor of a good man.

The badge is that of the Sheriff of Freestone County Texas.  Back in the 70's I was a Deputy Sheriff in Freestone County Texas and my Sheriff was J.R. (Sonny) Sessions.  Sheriff Sessions was Sheriff of Freestone County for 36 years.  Before Sonny, his Dad was Sheriff and before that his Grandfather was Sheriff.  

I became a Deputy shortly after the passing of my Father and Sonny kind of became a father figure to be.  His guidance, sound advise, loyalty, and love helped mold me in to the man I am today.

Not only was Sonny thought highly of in the law enforcement community in Texas, he was a great husband and father, church leader, cattle rancher, and humanitarian.

I was saddened to hear of his passing at age 83.

[Image: HWrQvmV.jpg]  [Image: fiUDlpO.jpg]

Rest in peace, my good friend.

178 23,808
 10-27-2015, 08:43 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Very nice, Johnny.

102 18,649
 10-27-2015, 08:49 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Fine tribute Johnny and condolences. Sounds as if Sonny led a full life and certainly left behind a legacy of good.

2 1,180
 10-27-2015, 08:55 AM
User Info
Very nice honor and tribute Johnny.

61 3,796
 10-27-2015, 09:24 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Very nice, Johnny.

38 5,108
 10-27-2015, 09:26 AM
  • Thug
  • South Africa
User Info
Lovely tribute Johnny.

0 403
 10-27-2015, 10:15 AM
User Info
Nice thoughts, and nice gesture.

15 403
 10-27-2015, 10:51 AM
User Info
Good gesture Johnny. I was in law enforcement  myself for a little bit at least. Some people become cops because they need the power and authority over people,we've all met them they were probably picked on in school or bullied some other way through out their lives. They can be spotted pretty easily ,they usually have the best sunglasses and the highest quality gear on them.

Then you meet that other kind of cop. That older guy who doesn't even wear a vest. The cop that will pull you over and just come to your window and say slow down,but be safe and have a good day. Like I said this cop may or may not wear a vest but he knows pretty much everybody and everybody knows him. He doesn't need a vest or even a service pistol because people respect him so much that his word does what the other kinds of cops wish their tazers did. 

Men like example number 1 are the kind of cops that have caused the public view of cops to be so bad now.

Example number 2 and men like that are the reason I wanted to be a cop. Sounds like your friend was one of the good guys and we need more men like him. Rest easy

3 1,356
 10-27-2015, 11:02 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
He was that kind of man.  When I first became a Deputy I wore a Colt Government .45 ACP Pistol.  He told me to get rid of it because he had jamming issues with one during WWII.  So I bought a Smith and Wesson N Frame .357 Revolver.  About a week later he walked in to the office and handed me a Smith and Wesson box with a new Model 36, 5 shot J Frame.  He said wear this.  I thought he was crazy.  He said, I want the public to see my deputies not their guns.  He said if the 5 shot .38 was not enough, grab the .12 gauge pump.

On a normal day he did not wear a sidearm.  His word was his strength.

Another short story.  One day his car was at the dealer for service so he wanted me to drive him home so he could get his truck.  On the way there he asked me how fast I as driving and I told him 70 MPH and he asked what the speed limit was on the county road we were on.  I replied 55 MPH and he did not say another word.  Two days later I received a speeding ticket in the mail that I had to pay.

178 23,808
 10-27-2015, 11:03 AM
User Info
Wonderful gesture Johnny. So sorry you lost your friend.

16 1,937
 10-27-2015, 11:19 AM
User Info
The old chief of my town was like that. He was still alive for maybe a month when I get hired on. What's funny is I got the same speech as you Johnny. I was told that I was there to serve the public thay they signed my paycheck and I was to treat them accordingly.

Maybe it was just living in a small town . I remember the chiefs old colt python ,that thing was OLD bUT it didn't have a scratch on it and it sparkled like a piece of jewelry.  I was working a lot with the county and the task force I was one I was required to wear more tactical gear. We were serving some warrants in my city and chief pulled me to the side. He told me he didn't care what task force I belonged to or what I was going to end up doing this was still his town and I was still to treat people accordingly. 

He told me that I was not to wear that "garbage" as he called it when I wasnt working with the county and he meant it. I was actually checking my m-16 the same day and he told me to go put it in the car that this way a police department not an army base.Of course I thought he was crazy and I wanted my toy,but I did what he said and I gained a lot of respect for him thay day.

It just amazed me how he didn't need weapons or anything like that. We got a call one day of a man we was known to us and he was drunk and getting rowdy. One of the newer cops had responded and the man locked himself in the house because new cop had kind of bullied him when he responded.

He get there and the man is in the house,new cop is screaming at him and all this etc. Chief tells the new officer to shut up and get in the car and leave. He walks up to the door calls the man out by name snd says come on out. To my amazement the guy came out and was calm as can be . Chief said ok we ate gonna cuff you know and your going to county,but I'll call your brother and have him come get you out and he did.

Chief died in his bed with his special needs son. His son didn't even know he was dead and be went and told chiefs wife that Daddy was still sleeping and he was cold. When chief died so did my career in law enforcement just because the new chief was the complete opposite.

Again Johnny my condolences to you and yours and everyone else involved. Really hits home ,and I'm sure you and I are both better people for knowing men like that.

3 1,356
 10-28-2015, 05:33 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Good men are very hard to find. Your Chief was one of them. So are you, Johnny. I grieve with you.

168 1,378
 10-28-2015, 12:52 PM
User Info
Nice mark of respect Johnny to a good friend and a fine gentlemam.

11 1,940
 10-28-2015, 02:48 PM
User Info
My respect,
and condolences

Philipp

21 1,175
 10-28-2015, 04:59 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Thanks for sharing Johnny. This is a nice tribute.

46 18,325
 10-28-2015, 05:21 PM
User Info
(10-28-2015, 05:33 AM)Steelman Wrote: Good men are very hard to find. Your Chief was one of them. So are you, Johnny. I grieve with you.

Your in that category friend. Even if nobody ever knows what I'm talking about you do.  Old man told me years back character is doing the right thing even when nobody's looking. I googled you a few months back too,I'm not the only one that thinks that way either.

3 1,356
 11-02-2015, 12:42 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Awesome tribute, my friend.
I have had "issues" with law enforcement most of my life, because I was doing things I should not have, no fault of theirs. I never was an "I hate cops" kind of guy. I viewed them as generally necessary, and mostly good people trying to do an important job, but in truth, I was always carrying something illegal on my person, so they were generally unwelcome.
Several years ago, there was Someone Who made an incredible change in my heart and my personality. Now when I see police officers, I pray for their safety and protection, and that they would be granted wisdom and discernment in carrying out their duties. I am truly grateful that there are still men and women who dedicate their lives to the dangerous, often thankless job that law enforcement often is.

2 1,683
 11-02-2015, 12:52 PM
User Info
a sincere remembrance of a good friend.  I work as a volunteer with the sheriffs dept and see these people all the time.  I would say that in these times that very few that deal with the public don't wear a vest.   that is the sorry part of it all.  brave men  trying to help.

73 1,295
 11-03-2015, 10:43 AM
User Info
(11-02-2015, 12:42 PM)SRNewb Wrote: Awesome tribute, my friend.
I have had "issues" with law enforcement most of my life, because I was doing things I should not have, no fault of theirs. I never was an "I hate cops" kind of guy. I viewed them as generally necessary, and mostly good people trying to do an important job, but in truth, I was always carrying something illegal on my person, so they were generally unwelcome.
Several years ago, there was Someone Who made an incredible change in my heart and my personality. Now when I see police officers, I pray for their safety and protection, and that they would be granted wisdom and discernment in carrying out their duties. I am truly grateful that there are still men and women who dedicate their lives to the dangerous, often thankless job that law enforcement often is.
Lol, I actually had to tell a few kids that thought Inwas messing with them that they weren't that important , we didn't have an alert on them so as soon as they got in a car we knew they we around . When you see a few people in a car and you pull up next to them and they throw something down real quick or refuse to look at you while holding their breath agmfraid to breath because they'll blow Marijuana smoke out ,Yea its a red flag.

People just don't realize just how much certain things they do when they are doing illegal things make it easy for cops to know they are doing something. If I'm walking around walmart in uniform looking for my kids something and I see somebody doing there best to avoid me or literally run from me then Yea I'm going to go up to you,where is you would of acted normal I would of cared less. I'm technically still a cop ,or a reserve deputy whatever you want to call it.  I'll be the first to tell anybody some cops I don't like.  A bad attitude +weapons+ a tiny bit of authority is too much for some people to handle and they give the rest of the cops ,who would no doubt give their life to save a stranger and it happens all the time ,but the bad ones give the whole community a bad name.

The single best advice I can give anybody with dealing with law enforcement is just comply. Don't be one of these smart elic on YouTube saying I know my rights I'm not showing you anything if you get pulled over,or no I'm not rolling my window down I don't haft to. Well state laws are different in my state you refuse to show me your I.d. I can arrest you. I assure you though that cop thay just pulled you over just wants to get it over with too. He wants to run your I'd for warrants because he's been trained to do that. He's working a job just like you do and if you make his job harder for him well expect a friendly officer to turn into a you know what pretty quick.

Seriously in all my time innocent people will always comply and they will bend over backwards to help you. I've never seen an innocent person run and I've never seen an innocent person fight me at a traffic stop or if I asked for their Id. The guilty ones that have warrants will fight you every way they can . Just some food for thought.

3 1,356
 11-03-2015, 11:07 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(11-03-2015, 10:43 AM)Otis375 Wrote:
(11-02-2015, 12:42 PM)SRNewb Wrote: Awesome tribute, my friend.
Lol, I actually had to tell a few kids that thought Inwas messing with them that they weren't that important , we didn't have an alert on them so as soon as they got in a car we knew they we around . When you see a few people in a car and you pull up next to them and they throw something down real quick or refuse to look at you while holding their breath agmfraid to breath because they'll blow Marijuana smoke out ,Yea its a red flag.

People just don't realize just how much certain things they do when they are doing illegal things make it easy for cops to know they are doing something. If I'm walking around walmart in uniform looking for my kids something and I see somebody doing there best to avoid me or literally run from me then Yea I'm going to go up to you,where is you would of acted normal I would of cared less. I'm technically still a cop ,or a reserve deputy whatever you want to call it.  I'll be the first to tell anybody some cops I don't like.  A bad attitude +weapons+ a tiny bit of authority is too much for some people to handle and they give the rest of the cops ,who would no doubt give their life to save a stranger and it happens all the time ,but the bad ones give the whole community a bad name.

The single best advice I can give anybody with dealing with law enforcement is just comply. Don't be one of these smart elic on YouTube saying I know my rights I'm not showing you anything if you get pulled over,or no I'm not rolling my window down I don't haft to. Well state laws are different in my state you refuse to show me your I.d. I can arrest you. I assure you though that cop thay just pulled you over just wants to get it over with too. He wants to run your I'd for warrants because he's been trained to do that. He's working a job just like you do and if you make his job harder for him well expect a friendly officer to turn into a you know what pretty quick.

Seriously in all my time innocent people will always comply and they will bend over backwards to help you. I've never seen an innocent person run and I've never seen an innocent person fight me at a traffic stop or if I asked for their Id. The guilty ones that have warrants will fight you every way they can . Just some food for thought.

I agree with most all of that. Even "back then", I always complied. Yes Sir, No sir, etc.
I remember one time I was topping a hill at 75 or 80 mph and a police car came over the hill in the opposite direction. I saw him hit his brake lights, and knew he'd pretty much caught me. I immediately pulled over to the side of the road and waited for him.
When he pulled up behind me and walked up to my window he asked, "Why'd you stop?".  I told him it was obvious he'd caught me speeding, and I would be stupid to try to run, or ride on ahead pretending I was clueless.
He handed me my license back and said,"Most people out here would have done exactly that. Which is why you're not getting a ticket. Just slow down and go home." I think he appreciated my acttitude that day just as much as I appreciated his.

2 1,683