07-02-2012, 04:45 PM
User Info
Well, I have had a PC Woodcraft Horse Hair 24 mm Knot for some time now and I just have not had time to put it in a handle until Oscar11 asked if anyone had tried this. So I decided to get this into a handle. The knot is set at 53 mm and had been washed in M.A.C. Cleaner and given a through lather break in along my forearms the evening before using.

The handle was one that I stained to resemble a aged distressed wood. The handle was bored down so that the knot would be shortened. I applied three layers of Minwax Polycrylic inside and out for water protection. A set of hex nuts on a small bolt was placed into the remaining center bore hole to provide some slight ballast. I used E6000 waterproof glue rather than epoxy on this particular handle and knot combination.

Here is the finished product.

[Image: 7476055566_4445ea3b19_b.jpg]

One of the unusual things is that the knot is not symmetrical. Even my Vie Long has a sense of symmetry when you look at the hairs. This one has some spots that seem to be rough cut on the sides. I may have picked the right handle to complement this look.

Now to the testing. I moved another item out of testing sequence to get to this one sooner. The lather was made using C.O. Bigelow and the brush is very soft for a horse hair brush. It is much softer than the Vie Long 13061 I have. It approached a Best Badger in softness. However, it is an extremely floppy brush. It is the most floppy brush that I have ever experienced, even with the loft set at 53 mm (barely 53 mm at that). I was able to get through a 3 1/2 pass shave plus a head shave with a dab of cream about the size of a dime. It applied cream gently but without much backbone. I guess that this hair was heavily treated to make it softer. That would also cause a severe reduction in backbone.

In conclusion, it is a soft brush for a horse, but if you are expecting the stiffness and quality of other brands of horse knots, then you will need to look elsewhere.

1 2,827
 07-02-2012, 05:19 PM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
Great review, and that is a beautiful brush. I have two questions:
  • Is the handle a vintage handle or new?
  • Is there another vendor that carries Horse Hair Knots?

0 539
 07-02-2012, 05:32 PM
User Info
(07-02-2012, 05:19 PM)wlmcad Wrote: Great review, and that is a beautiful brush. I have two questions:
  • Is the handle a vintage handle or new?
  • Is there another vendor that carries Horse Hair Knots?

It is a new handle. I worked to create that distressed aged look through the finishing process.

I don't know if there is another vendor that carries horse hair knots that would sell to the public. This was the only one I found.

1 2,827
 07-04-2012, 04:40 AM
  • vpayne
  • Missouri
User Info
I had this knot. Very frustrating trying to use it. I can't imagine anyone enjoying it because it is so floppy. It is like pushing a wet string uphill.

Vic

32 362
 07-04-2012, 07:23 AM
User Info
(07-04-2012, 04:40 AM)vpayne Wrote: I had this knot. Very frustrating trying to use it. I can't imagine anyone enjoying it because it is so floppy. It is like pushing a wet string uphill.

Vic

Well, the one that I am using is floppy but not as floppy as pushing a wet string uphill.
This brush is good for bowl lathering and face painting. It is not a face lathering brush.

Evidently someone else really enjoys his.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread....h-new-mane

1 2,827