10-27-2015, 07:35 PM
  • nunhgrader
  • Prairie Village, KS USA
User Info
I wanted to ask fellow Shave Nookers two questions:

Which product (focusing on DE Razors obviously) lived up to the hype!

And, of course, which product did not quite live up to the hype in your experience and why (please no ultra negative comments or attacks) with your personal observations! I was interested in people's experiences from both sides of the hype train but, with constructive criticism and helpful feedback along the way!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My personal choice - the BBS-1 - wow did this razor live up to the hype! The most beautiful crafted razor, in my humble opinion, being made today! Plus, one of the smoothest performers as well. I see myself holding onto the BBS-1 for life. Not only this but, James is a wonderful person to work with.

So far, the Mongoose has not quite lived up to the hype I have read about. Do not get me wrong - the quality of the piece is beyond excellent. I also should disclose that my experience with the Mongoose is still in its infancy so, I still need to try new blades and gain more experience. I am reading up on Mongoose technique and I have a couple of years of experience with SE razors but, willing to admit this might be my limited experience to date (just realized I maybe should have selected a DE razor...).

28 666
 10-27-2015, 07:45 PM
User Info
For me the Wolfman has lived up to and exceeded the hype. Just a superb razor. 

I have to agree on the Mongoose. Just couldn't see what the hype was all about. Wound up selling mine. 
I will also throw the Gillette NEW in this category. I always here people talk about how great they are. Just don't get it. Shaves were mediocre and blah. They are pretty though.

148 3,602
 10-27-2015, 08:02 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I would offer to agree on the BBS-1... Except I supplied a lot of the hype. Biggrin Of course, when talking about any product, hype is never my intention. I use plenty of products that I just choose not to write about, because I don't have strong feelings. But the BBS-1 was something different, and I'm always happy to see someone other than me raving about it. I've tried probably over 75 DE razors, and I use the BBS-1 at least 3-4 days a week.

Also very high on my "definitely lives up to the hype" list is the King Cobra. I have tried the Mongoose, and I feel very... "meh" about. It is certainly not at all bad, but it had a lot to live up to, and for my beard, the performance was never much above mediocre. Recently, however, I had the chance to try out a King Cobra, and it made me re-think my position on SE razors. I get a consistently great shave from that razor, and it gets a lot of play in my rotation. So I think the KC is pretty deserving of the praise it gets.

As far as things falling short... well... I don't like to say explicitly negative things about a product unless I can say with confidence that it is really bad, for everyone who would try it. Just because the Mongoose doesn't work well for me doesn't mean that it isn't the best possible shave for someone else, and I try to keep that in mind. I do recall having come across products that are objectively bad, but honestly, I can't recall them off the top of my head.

OK, well, one, and I'll call it out.
Double Edge Safety & Straight Razor Barbe Bleue Model XB Stainless Steel Black Satin Finish Set Comes with a Genuine Leather Protective Pouch From BBNY https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TT9P20Q/ref...mwbHGGW0DJ

For the safety of all involved, stay the heck away from that thing!!! If you can manage to get a blade in it, (I couldn't fit one in mine because it was so poorly put together) it becomes a weapon, not a shaving tool. I was stoked to try something without a blade guard, just out of curiosity, but that thing was all kinds of bad. The one positive thing I can say is that it came with a case that was useful, and not defective. Smile

22 835
 10-27-2015, 09:17 PM
User Info
The Fat Boy, and other adjustables. They seem like just a gimmick to me. I don't notice a difference in shave quality compared to the Super Speed and I like the simpler cleaner design of the SS.

I would say DEs I'm general don't live up to the hype though. SEs are way better, especially injectors. I used DEs for two years and after 3 uses of my first SE ( ER 1924) I sold all my DEs. Comfort is the name of the game for me.

18 713
 10-28-2015, 04:07 AM
User Info
Never could see the allure to the Fatboy and the Mongoose was a big disappointment.
On the other hand, the Mergress XL turned out to be a much better razor than I ever thought it would be. I am patiently waiting for the Wolfman and have wondered if it will live up to the hype.

Al

46 489
 10-28-2015, 04:11 AM
User Info
For me, the Cobra Classic certainly lived up -- and lives up -- to the hype.   Super close shave, very comfortable, but requiring quite a bit of care to avoid doing a full-face skin graft.

I am now -- after a couple of months of steady use with different blades and two different versions -- beginning to believe that the Mongoose also lives up to the hype.   Takes a lot of getting used to, and a fair amount of technique.  It is less aggressive than the Cobras, and in the beginning gave me much less close shaves.   But now, just terrific.   And there IS a difference between the satin finish and the shiny finish:  the machining for the shiny finish leaves less edge on the top and bar of the razor, and IMHO, makes the razor just a bit more aggressive:  better!

I like the various Gillettes, particularly the British (21, 66): they are quite different, but I think they also justify the hype.

Stanley

2 155
 10-28-2015, 04:13 AM
User Info
Is all relative Smile

61 3,796
 10-28-2015, 05:24 AM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
Gillette Tech and Fatip! Simple but ultimate duo for me. If I go for a daily shave week I grab Tech, if I skip day or days I grab Fatip and if I feel adventurous kamisori or straight razor is the way to go.
I heard a lot of great things like how mild but effective Tech is or how aggresive but smooth Fatip is.  Both definitely live up to hype.

89 Head and Adjustables, they don't live up to hype unfortunately. 89 is one of the most suggested beginner razors but I find it too mild and not so effective after using Tech. Also I'm a simple man and adjustables are more complicated than I need or would prefer. I find one best setting and use it fixed, so no need to be adjustable as I use only one position. Variety of DEs can easily replace adjustabes. Biggrin

0 1,053
 10-28-2015, 05:32 AM
User Info
Living up to the hype: Wolfman Razor has the hype and is well deserved. Shaves smooth and efficient. Most of the recent synthetic brushes have awesome qualities one of them being that they make tougher soaps to lather a lot easier.

Living up to the negative hype and I still bought it: The original Simpsons synthetic chubby lived up to its hype of being nearly impossible to splay without caving in your face.

Not living up to the hype: The Mongoose just doesn't click for me. I can shave with it no problem but it feels like it drags too much. P160 soap. Its good but I think the hype was conjuring a grander picture of slickness and protection and post shave feel that was beyond Cella. I still use it ever so often but I don't have the euphoric experience others may be getting.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

1 171
 10-28-2015, 06:01 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I use two razors at this time.  A PILS DE and an old Schick Injector.  To me the others pale in comparison.  Just my opinion, YMMV and all that.

179 23,945
 10-28-2015, 06:13 AM
  • nunhgrader
  • Prairie Village, KS USA
User Info
I love the feedback! chamm's King Cobra's lives up to hype interests me - I am saving for that rare beautify!

Johnny - those are great selections - which old Schick Injector if you don't mind me asking (I have several and I am also a fan of injectors)?

28 666
 10-28-2015, 06:19 AM
User Info
I am not sure it lives up to the hype as I have been using it for 4 years, now, but the Weber DLC has yet to disappoint me. Biggrin

83 21,115
 10-28-2015, 06:42 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(10-28-2015, 06:13 AM)nunhgrader Wrote: I love the feedback! chamm's King Cobra's lives up to hype interests me - I am saving for that rare beautify!

Johnny - those are great selections - which old Schick Injector if you don't mind me asking (I have several and I am also a fan of injectors)?

I have two old G series and an I2 that I use.

179 23,945
 10-28-2015, 06:46 AM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
The Wolfman SB after many fair shakes has failed to impress. My Webers and hybrid techs run circles around it personally.

My UFO Titan Fines live up to the hype.

143 1,984
 10-28-2015, 06:50 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Oh! if only we could return to those halcyon days whan it was MERKUR or a Gillette on EBAY and no angst over hype.

2 3,171
 10-28-2015, 07:24 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(10-28-2015, 06:19 AM)celestino Wrote: I am not sure it lives up to the hype as I have been using it for 4 years, now, but the Weber DLC has yet to disappoint me. Biggrin

It doesn't. Tongue

46 18,638
 10-28-2015, 07:37 AM
User Info
From what I understand, every single Weber finish has been discontinued due to quality control issues. I have experienced Rust, wavy blades, etc. from them. To this day I do not understand people paying over $100 for something that cost $60-$70 brand new and was discontinued for quality control. I didn't find the Webber to shave any better than a Merkur 34C. Shaves like a slightly less smooth version of a 34C for me. 

Wolfman is the only DE razor I would say that performs better than my personal favorite, the king cobra. It is a precision instrument and something I plan on having for a long time, both in SB AND OC, with a slight edge given to the OC HEAD.

63 1,721
 10-28-2015, 09:53 AM
User Info
Well, it is a good thing that diversity makes the world go around..... or it could be that I just might be a tad delusional with my DLCs or my face/skin is fooling me! Biggrin

83 21,115
 10-28-2015, 10:04 AM
User Info
Wolfman has been the only thing in shaving that was completely  as advertised.  Maybe it's what the wolfman means to me ,or at least the one and the back story behind it why it means what it does to me. 

Razorock razors are way overhyped to me. Don't get me wrong I'll give credit where I believe it's due. Joe is making razors and the ones I had were great quality as far as F&F goes. That being said he is designing those razors for a beard and skin type that I do not have. The razorock razors are just too mild for me.

3 1,356
 10-28-2015, 10:42 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
Out of the two SE razors I own the Cobra Classic and Mongoose, I prefer the cobra classic. I owned the cobra classic way before the mongoose. After hearing the hype over the mongoose and buying one it was okay. I mean it is a YMMV thing since i'm still trying to find the correct blade that works for me.

10 963