10-28-2015, 12:09 PM
User Info
Hi Everybody-
So I've recently acquired a few very soft soaps ( Caties Bubbles, Razorock SMdF, etc) and have heard that you are not supposed to bloom soaps so soft.  My old habit has been to bloom the soaps with some hot water while I'm in the shower, then apply the water to my face as a preshave.  My issue is this: I don't seem to be getting as good a lather on my face as I did with the bloom water.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Just wondering what may serve as a good substitute.  I use an oil as well, if that matters.
I appreciate your collective help!

1 27
 10-28-2015, 12:56 PM
User Info
you can bloom them, just not as long.
No substitute there is, for water, my friend Smile Wink

21 1,175
 10-28-2015, 01:01 PM
User Info
(10-28-2015, 12:56 PM)Bibbelmann Wrote: you can bloom them, just not as long.

I thought you only bloom hard soaps, and I do bloom my hardest soaps from time to time but with a synthetic brush there really is no need, conversely with my badger I pretty much have to. I would definitely not bloom Catie's because it is so soft to begin with. My understanding is blooming is to help soften the soap for an easier lather, which is what the owner of Soapy Bathman recommended to do with his soaps which are very hard, and it helps bring the scent out more. But for CB, no need whatsoever. I get some of the best lathers with it and I think it may be the easiest soap I have ever lathered.

13 947
 10-28-2015, 01:15 PM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
I usually don't bloom the soft soaps myself but may (depending on the soap) leave my brush a little bit more moist than usual as I begin the load.

Good luck!

2 1,180
 10-28-2015, 01:21 PM
User Info
MWF
Tabac
LPL
Mike's
MW
Vintage Williams
C&S
Dusy
Klar
SC
DRH
WSO
I bloom them all.
Don't bloom Jabonman, WSP.

39 3,919
 10-28-2015, 01:26 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(10-28-2015, 12:09 PM)MTMoisan Wrote: Hi Everybody-
So I've recently acquired a few very soft soaps ( Caties Bubbles, Razorock SMdF, etc) and have heard that you are not supposed to bloom soaps so soft.  My old habit has been to bloom the soaps with some hot water while I'm in the shower, then apply the water to my face as a preshave.  My issue is this: I don't seem to be getting as good a lather on my face as I did with the bloom water.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Just wondering what may serve as a good substitute.  I use an oil as well, if that matters.
I appreciate your collective help!

Two — independent — suggestions:  

1.  For the good substitute:  apply (using your fingertips) to your beard area the thinnest film you can manage of Noxzema Classic Clean Original Deep Cleansing Cream and, without rinsing it off, lather right over it;

2.  As for bloom water itself, generally, you may wish to explore the bloom water lathering technique that I explain here.  

1 1,086
 10-28-2015, 01:50 PM
User Info
(10-28-2015, 01:21 PM)primotenore Wrote: MWF
Tabac
LPL
Mike's
MW
Vintage Williams
C&S
Dusy
Klar
SC
DRH
WSO
I bloom them all.
Don't bloom Jabonman, WSP.

Agreed on Jabonman. Turns to mush softer than Wickham. Not a good one to bloom with water.

79 1,338
 10-28-2015, 01:52 PM
User Info
(10-28-2015, 01:01 PM)Hobbyist Wrote:

I thought you only bloom hard soaps, and I do bloom my hardest soaps from time to time but with a synthetic brush there really is no need, conversely with my badger I pretty much have to. I would definitely not bloom Catie's because it is so soft to begin with. My understanding is blooming is to help soften the soap for an easier lather, which is what the owner of Soapy Bathman recommended to do with his soaps which are very hard, and it helps bring the scent out more. But for CB, no need whatsoever. I get some of the best lathers with it and I think it may be the easiest soap I have ever lathered.

I agree- they are ridiculously easy to lather!  I just don't seem to get slickness of the quality as I get when I lather over the bloom water.
Maybe the answer is just to bloom anyway, get a great shave, and damn-the-torpedos!

I fear ruining my soaps.......

1 27
 10-28-2015, 02:32 PM
User Info
if the soap is really soft you may do without extra water on the soap when loading. if it stays atop, why not facilitate loading with some water? be sure you let it dry after use. Use just a few drops of water,dissolve the amount of soap you need. Adding a lot water in the pot on a soft soap will change a big amount of soap and it may go into watery solution...  Undecided

21 1,175
 10-28-2015, 02:34 PM
User Info
I have never bloomed any soap and as long as you hydrate it, sufficiently, you shouldn't have any problems when lathering, in my opinion.  Shy

Are you sure you are getting enough soap onto your brush before you lather and are you adding enough water?

83 21,077
 10-28-2015, 02:35 PM
User Info
(10-28-2015, 01:52 PM)MTMoisan Wrote: I agree- they are ridiculously easy to lather!  I just don't seem to get slickness of the quality as I get when I lather over the bloom water.
Maybe the answer is just to bloom anyway, get a great shave, and damn-the-torpedos!

+1.  

If it feels good, do it..  If using a technique of my own produces great results, I couldn't care less what the crowd thinks.  BTW, I bloom all my soaps no matter how soft.

9 1,203
 10-28-2015, 02:41 PM
User Info
(10-28-2015, 02:35 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: +1.  

If it feels good, do it..  If using a technique of my own produces great results, I couldn't care less what the crowd thinks.  BTW, I bloom all my soaps no matter how soft.

Thumbup

83 21,077
 10-28-2015, 02:43 PM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
I rarely bloom. But when I do, I really like whatever the bloomwater does to the lather. Although I have never bloomed a softer soap. 

...or let it bloom overnight and turn into a slimey, soapy mess  Wink

0 360
 10-28-2015, 05:57 PM
User Info
(10-28-2015, 02:34 PM)celestino Wrote: I have never bloomed any soap and as long as you hydrate it, sufficiently, you shouldn't have any problems when lathering, in my opinion.  Shy

Are you sure you are getting enough soap onto your brush before you lather and are you adding enough water?

Same here.  I don't spend time blooming, I just put some elbow grease and go to work  Smile

61 3,796
 10-28-2015, 06:00 PM
User Info
I bloomed a shave stick! (Just turned it upside down in a little warm water). Then rubbed it on my face Celestino.  Biggrin

39 3,919
 10-28-2015, 06:04 PM
User Info
Completely unnecessary... It doesn't make a difference in performance whether I soak a soap or not. And I hate the feeling that some of the soap is being washed away for nothing. Am I the only one that finds the word "blooming" to be pretentious?

18 713
 10-28-2015, 06:05 PM
User Info
(10-28-2015, 01:52 PM)MTMoisan Wrote:
(10-28-2015, 01:01 PM)Hobbyist Wrote:

I agree- they are ridiculously easy to lather!  I just don't seem to get slickness of the quality as I get when I lather over the bloom water.

In that case I would bloom away.

13 947
 10-28-2015, 06:05 PM
User Info
(10-28-2015, 06:04 PM)fram773 Wrote: Completely unnecessary... It doesn't make a difference in performance whether I soak a soap or not. And I hate the feeling that some of the soap is being washed away for nothing. Am I the only one that finds the word "blooming" to be pretentious?

Not pretentious, but as you indicated, wasteful....

61 3,796
 10-28-2015, 06:21 PM
User Info
If it softens the soap and facilitates better loading, then it's not wasteful, nor pretentious.

39 3,919
 10-28-2015, 06:34 PM
User Info