10-28-2015, 12:44 PM
User Info
First off I would like to say that I have had nothing but excellent service from the vendors and artisans that I have discovered as a member of TSN (thanks everyone!). 

My disappointment comes in the seemingly overwhelming (at least in my experience) of vendors who insist on using packing peanuts for shipping.  These "peanuts" are not very biodegradable and are filled with known carcinogens that are ending up in our landfills.

I would hope that this thread would give at least some of the vendors and artisans who are members here some thought to explore alternative packaging materials.

55 1,255
 10-28-2015, 02:16 PM
User Info
...but i do usually get 100% biodegradable packing peanuts. google it ;-)

7 1,624
 10-28-2015, 02:20 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I salt them and feed em to my coworkers. They think I'm cheap and buy generic Cheese Puffs. Win! Win!

65 5,240
 10-28-2015, 02:22 PM
User Info
(10-28-2015, 02:20 PM)eengler Wrote: I salt them and feed em to my coworkers. They think I'm cheap and buy generic Cheese Puffs. Win! Win!

61 3,796
 10-28-2015, 02:29 PM
  • racebmx
  • Sapone Di Paolo
  • Charleston, South Carolina
User Info
I pack with old newspaper, don't include packing slips or receipts, try to use minimal tape and use thermal label printers to avoid ink.  For bigger orders, I re-use boxes from Amazon, etc.  

It's a constant thought process to keep costs down and waste (especially non-recyclable) to a minimum.

11 705
 10-28-2015, 02:30 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(10-28-2015, 12:44 PM)david1201 Wrote: First off I would like to say that I have had nothing but excellent service from the vendors and artisans that I have discovered as a member of TSN (thanks everyone!). 

My disappointment comes in the seemingly overwhelming (at least in my experience) of vendors who insist on using packing peanuts for shipping.  These "peanuts" are not very biodegradable and are filled with known carcinogens that are ending up in our landfills.

I would hope that this thread would give at least some of the vendors and artisans who are members here some thought to explore alternative packaging materials.

[Image: 8mj8BXe.jpg]

48 20,063
 10-28-2015, 02:31 PM
  • MHWood
  • Artisan Brush Maker
  • Illinois
User Info
Whenever I get packing peanuts in I usually reuse them in my shipments. I never ever go out of my way to buy them as the reasons you already mentioned. But when I get them I can not bring myself to throwing them in the landfill so I reuse them. 

Thank you for bringing attention to being more enviromentally friendly.

3 291
 10-28-2015, 03:15 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Nothing personal, but, this sentiment is like the lady who drives her HUMVEE to our local recycling center passing me walking with two 50 gallon sacks. She pulls in with a baggie of champagne bottles and, after demanding to skip the line of people announces she's saving the planet.
At this moment 100,000 out of control, manmade fires are burning in Indonesia. They have forced mass evacuations and are impacting nearby Thailand,Malaysia and Indochina. You can say goodbye to the Orangutangs and several indigenous cultures forced out of their ancient territories by paramilitaries. Oh, this is to grow PALM OIL, of which that nation is the #1 producer and not a member of the certified growers movement (think fair trade coffee-ie traditional forest canopy we didn't shoot the farmers and rape their women before shooting them). I could also mention the use of plastics, but DID and was called 'hilarious' and with an agenda.We all use the stuff, can't get away from it, but can reduce. Glass is a PITA for breakage and shipping wieght. It also is environmentaly neutral in production if recycled. I also favour my Lagavulin in glass and not the increasing plastic beer bottles which taste bloody awful with offgassing of chemicals I recycle People catterwall about dented aluminium tins. Aluminium is easily recycled.
I'm going to go shave, as I did while an active treehugging environmeddleist. I wore suits and ties on land monkeywrenching and empathetic with  company security about those bearded ungreatful deadheads while memorising the watch shifts and location of the caterpillars. EARTH FIRST!

2 3,171
 10-28-2015, 03:19 PM
User Info
This is going to end well  Icon_popcorn

61 3,796
 10-28-2015, 03:34 PM
User Info
No, no drama here, at least from me, I'm too much of a gentlemen to resort to personal attacks.

I was not aware that biodegradable packing peanuts exist, curious now how commonly they are used.  

And MHWood, thank you for your input, always happy to see artisans who are sensitive to their customers concerns.

55 1,255
 10-28-2015, 03:35 PM
User Info
(10-28-2015, 02:30 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(10-28-2015, 12:44 PM)david1201 Wrote: First off I would like to say that I have had nothing but excellent service from the vendors and artisans that I have discovered as a member of TSN (thanks everyone!). 

[Image: 8mj8BXe.jpg]

Thanks Phil, glad to see you are on top of this.

55 1,255
 10-28-2015, 03:37 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I suppose packing peanuts should have their own peanut gallery. Lead, follow or get out of the way. Nobody is going to condemn or hold to public ridicule anyone using a plastic tub of creme; or for that matter raising concern over packing materials. But a studied and deliberate ignorance is not hilarious, but hypocrisy if not embracing the willfull ruin of our only home.

2 3,171
 10-28-2015, 03:38 PM
User Info
(10-28-2015, 03:34 PM)david1201 Wrote: No, no drama here, at least from me, I'm too much of a gentlemen to resort to personal attacks.

I was not aware that biodegradable packing peanuts exist, curious now how commonly they are used.  

And MHWood, thank you for your input, always happy to see artisans who are sensitive to their customers concerns.

I know that Smile

61 3,796
 10-28-2015, 03:48 PM
User Info
(10-28-2015, 02:31 PM)MHWood Wrote: Whenever I get packing peanuts in I usually reuse them in my shipments. I never ever go out of my way to buy them as the reasons you already mentioned. But when I get them I can not bring myself to throwing them in the landfill so I reuse them. 

+1

And to Phil. I see the packing peanuts are biodegradable. Good man! My question is what do you plan to do with the bag they are in?  Hmm

Biggrin

154 3,751
 10-28-2015, 03:53 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(10-28-2015, 03:34 PM)david1201 Wrote: No, no drama here, at least from me, I'm too much of a gentlemen to resort to personal attacks.

I have been using them for the past 3 years.  I think many vendors use these. One benefit is they do not have any static cling.

48 20,063
 10-28-2015, 04:05 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Freddie, I have been working with a marine architect, Captain Paul Watson and a few others on my idea. Are you familiar with the Whaleshark? It is a massive filter feeder and slow swimmer. I envision a greek built ( screw austerity) tanker class vessel. It will have bow portals to gently suck in plastic debri. This will be used as raw fuel for super high temperature, non exausting turbines along with auxilary solar panel cells. The ship will in effect approach perpetual propulsion and begin cleaning our oceans at strategic current locals. I wanted to add deck guns for rogue whalers nad fishing boats, but was reminded of the non vilence credo.
Phil's sack will be segregated at an advanced public refuse center in L.A.

2 3,171
 10-28-2015, 04:17 PM
User Info
(10-28-2015, 04:05 PM)kav Wrote: Freddie, I have been working with a marine architect, Captain Paul Watson and a few others on my idea. Are you familiar with the Whaleshark? It is a massive filter feeder and slow swimmer. I envision a greek built ( screw austerity) tanker class vessel. It will have bow portals to gently suck in plastic debri. This will be used as raw fuel for super high temperature, non exausting turbines along with auxilary solar panel cells. The ship will in effect approach perpetual propulsion and begin cleaning our oceans at strategic current locals. I wanted to add deck guns for rogue whalers nad fishing boats, but was reminded of the non vilence credo.
Phil's sack will be segregated at an advanced public refuse center in L.A.
Lol Kav! In all seriousness I did see an article where they a young man came up with an idea for a device that would work to remove large amounts of floating trash from the ocean. Was pretty cool!

154 3,751
 10-28-2015, 05:27 PM
User Info
(10-28-2015, 03:48 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote:
(10-28-2015, 02:31 PM)MHWood Wrote: Whenever I get packing peanuts in I usually reuse them in my shipments. I never ever go out of my way to buy them as the reasons you already mentioned. But when I get them I can not bring myself to throwing them in the landfill so I reuse them. 

+1

And to Phil. I see the packing peanuts are biodegradable. Good man! My question is what do you plan to do with the bag they are in?  Hmm

Biggrin

+1 Freddie really??I'll tell you what then jump on the first thing smoking and come on down here and get all these peanuts you sent me away from the cat. She's doing her part for the environment, she's ate 3 already...

I'm all for saving the planet ,but right now I may haft to save a cat.. Biggrin

3 1,356
 10-28-2015, 05:38 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(10-28-2015, 05:27 PM)Otis375 Wrote:
(10-28-2015, 03:48 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote:

+1

Biggrin

+1 Freddie really??I'll tell you what then jump on the first thing smoking and come on down here and get all these peanuts you sent me away from the cat. She's doing her part for the environment, she's ate 3 already...

I'm all for saving the planet ,but right now I may haft to save a cat.. Biggrin

Ginger, my Weimaraner, loves the starch peanuts. I definitely have to keep an eye on her.

48 20,063
 10-28-2015, 05:43 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
The base starch is derived from GMO Soy or Corn as used in plastic water bottles.They are in theory digestable but not adviseable. Remove them from kitty ASAP

2 3,171