10-28-2015, 05:44 PM
  • Triad
  • Texas
User Info
(10-28-2015, 05:43 PM)kav Wrote: The base starch is derived from GMO Soy or Corn as used in plastic water bottles.They are in theory digestable but not adviseable. Remove them from kitty ASAP

??Shop-Vac?? Smile

118 1,714
 10-28-2015, 05:45 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I believe that the Uline peanuts are derived from corn.

48 19,844
 10-28-2015, 05:48 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(10-28-2015, 05:44 PM)Triad Wrote:
(10-28-2015, 05:43 PM)kav Wrote: The base starch is derived from GMO Soy or Corn as used in plastic water bottles.They are in theory digestable but not adviseable. Remove them from kitty ASAP

??Shop-Vac?? Smile

http://www.uline.com/BL_603/Peanut-Vacuum

48 19,844
 10-28-2015, 05:54 PM
User Info
(10-28-2015, 04:05 PM)kav Wrote: Freddie, I have been working with a marine architect, Captain Paul Watson and a few others on my idea. Are you familiar with the Whaleshark? It is a massive filter feeder and slow swimmer. I envision a greek built ( screw austerity) tanker class vessel. It will have bow portals to gently suck in plastic debri. This will be used as raw fuel for super high temperature, non exausting turbines along with auxilary solar panel cells. The ship will in effect approach perpetual propulsion and begin cleaning our oceans at strategic current locals. I wanted to add deck guns for rogue whalers nad fishing boats, but was reminded of the non vilence credo.
Phil's sack will be segregated at an advanced public refuse center in L.A.

I know it's not really the same thing, but this kind of reminds me of a documentary I saw on our local PBS station about the cleanup of the Cuyahoga river after the fire in the '60s. A local company refitted a small boat that ran on the river, vacuuming up sludge and picking up debris. They called the boat Putzfrau, which I believe is German for "cleaning lady".

There's your Cleveland history lesson for the day...

0 1,158
 10-28-2015, 06:43 PM
User Info
(10-28-2015, 05:27 PM)Otis375 Wrote:
(10-28-2015, 03:48 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote:
(10-28-2015, 02:31 PM)MHWood Wrote: Whenever I get packing peanuts in I usually reuse them in my shipments. I never ever go out of my way to buy them as the reasons you already mentioned. But when I get them I can not bring myself to throwing them in the landfill so I reuse them. 

Thank you for bringing attention to being more enviromentally friendly.

+1

And to Phil. I see the packing peanuts are biodegradable. Good man! My question is what do you plan to do with the bag they are in?  Hmm

Biggrin

+1 Freddie really??I'll tell you what then jump on the first thing smoking and come on down here and get all these peanuts you sent me away from the cat. She's doing her part for the environment, she's ate 3 already...

I'm all for saving the planet ,but right now I may haft to save a cat.. Biggrin
I did save your cat. In case of flood, she now floats. 
Your welcome. 
Biggrin

154 3,740
 10-28-2015, 06:51 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Cats and dogs have short, carnivore intestines. It is no secret petfood companies use a lot of corn and GNW. Issues of irritation, impaction and dehydration can occur when our beloved friends eat strange stuff.
GM crops have major environmental impacts to start. But, believe it or not I've been on two shaving forums  to discuss shaving. I propose a partial solution. BUY MORE KIT and reduce the voids in shipping containers.

2 3,171
 10-29-2015, 05:01 AM
User Info
I have yet to buy peanuts, but use what has been sent to me. I haven't even purchased the starch peanuts, but when I do receive something that has used them they are a pretty sorry mess. They compress and have no spring back or resistance to compression. Lots of supplies arrive with the starch peanuts inside but clearly the peanuts were totally useless. They still have a way to go to make a good one for heavier items from what I've seen.

I far prefer old newsprint for packing and recycle paper packing that arrives. Heck, I try to reuse as much as I can of everything. But a few years ago when USPS told me to use an absorbent packing I went to using air popped popcorn. That worked fine and was obviously biodegradable after it arrived at the destination. One customer even reported that it was still good to eat.

Of course no matter how much one tries to reduce, reuse, recycle, there are still new inputs of material that simply can't be avoided if one is selling much at all; shipping cartons, padded envelopes, and tape come to mind.

32 6,513
 10-29-2015, 08:08 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Shippers used to use celcior ( SPELLING) a tangled spaghetti like product of very thin paper often of rice made in Asia. It seems to have worked well enough. Chinese ceramics were actually first shipped as ballast and have the highest survival rate of marine wrecks from the period. One spanish galleon on the Great Circle Route foundered off the California coast and was wrecked. The local peoples were able to salvage the wreckage
and the ceramic ballast became a highly sought after trade item. California self backed bows were at that time the finest available. For awhile these marvelous projectile points came with fragmentary scenes of dragons,waterfalls,trees,birds etc. To find one is still a California Archaeologist's personal bucket list and generates frantic phone calls from the Great Plains when one shows up there.

2 3,171
 10-29-2015, 10:40 AM
User Info
I remember excelsior. It's still made and used.

I've been told that Spanish moss has also been used as packing material.

32 6,513
 10-29-2015, 11:52 AM
User Info

Scalpel maybe?? I tried the shop vac bbut the hose was too big ,it wouldn't fit inside kitty... Biggrin I'm kidding

3 1,356
 10-29-2015, 01:01 PM
User Info
I like to throw them in the fire pit and watch them melt. They're not right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 876
 11-04-2015, 07:58 PM
User Info
Maybe I missed it, but if the "peanuts" aren't statically charged then this means they're biodegradable?  As in I can put them in my food compost cart that's picked up once a week?  That would be great because I've been throwing them away for years.  I tried saving them for reuse but we have a lot more coming in than going out.

I just got knocked over on the general discussion board for doing this, but I'm going to point out that at least one thing Amazon does right is ship its products in 100% recyclable packages.  I break down the cardboard boxes and put them in our recycle cart.  I pop the plastic air cells packaging and put them in my plastic recycle bag.  Every little bit helps when it comes to cutting down on waste, so the more I can reuse or recycle the better.

0 135
 11-05-2015, 04:09 AM
User Info
I believe unless the material is explicitly stated to be compostable it should not go into the compost bin or to a town's compost pile.

Biodegradable materials will eventually degrade into either dirt or into small material but since they are a mix of plant-based and petroleum plastic resins they cannot be mixed in with compost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85 1,523
 11-05-2015, 05:04 AM
User Info
I havn't seen the non-biodegradable peanuts in years - but I do know the starch ones tastes like phew! Smile

3 5,702
 11-05-2015, 05:25 AM
User Info
(11-05-2015, 05:04 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: I havn't seen the non-biodegradable peanuts in years - but I do know the starch ones tastes like phew! Smile

If you use some seasoning they are delicious Smile

61 3,796
 11-08-2015, 11:29 PM
User Info
My Cocker loves those Tasty peanuts. Then I get to spend 15 minutes cleaning slimy peanut chunks from the ends of her ears. 

The straw stuff used for packing that comes from asian countries is bad. Its has ended up in our environment without a natural predator. I forget the name of it, but its a noxious weed here in So. il.

8 169