10-28-2015, 03:42 PM
User Info
I have always wanted to try some of the luxury/higher priced shave soaps and creams but due to how picky I am with scents I figured it would be best if I found samples. There are not many places that offer samples of luxury shaving soaps and creams but I was able to find some. NeoXerXes pointed me to Old Town Shaving which is where I bought MdC and ABC and I went to Connaught for the XPEC before I knew of Old Town. Old Town threw in the Proraso for free. I'm not a fan of Eucalyptus at all but I will try this one to see how good a performance it is. Very nice of Old Town Shaving to throw it in for free. 

I posted pictures below to give an idea of how much product you get. The Maggard sample is for size reference, which as you can see it is shorter but a little larger diameter, thus probably about the same amount of product. Old Town Shaving is the best deal because they offer a flat rate $5.75 for as many samples as you want, shipped in a USPS Priority envelope. Each sample is supposed to be 0.25oz minimum but usually ends up being more. Connaught samples are 10ml and priced a little lower but they offer samples that Old Town doesn't have such as Meißner Tremonia.

I haven't used any of them yet but will this evening. The MdC Lavender smells great and reminds me of Castle Forbes Lavender shaving cream with about the same strength too. The MdC Fougere is not very faint in the sample container so I can't smell it too well, but hopefully when I lather it up it will smell stronger. The ABC smells very nice, almost more cherry than almond, which I like. I am not even a fan of almond smells but I like this one, and the scent strength is good, about the same as the MdC Lavender. Finally, the XPEC smells very nice as well, smells spicy and woodsy at the same time.

[Image: PgwDVjT.jpg][Image: ihHP3oa.jpg]

13 947
 10-28-2015, 03:43 PM
User Info
Pamper yourself my friend Thumbup

61 3,796
 10-28-2015, 03:45 PM
User Info
Fantastic sample haul! Please be sure and post your impressions on the luxury soaps/creams thread, if any should qualify according to your own assessment.

And thanks for the shout out! Cheers mate Smile.

3 1,484
 10-28-2015, 03:50 PM
User Info
(10-28-2015, 03:45 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote: Fantastic sample haul! Please be sure and post your impressions on the luxury soaps/creams thread, if any should qualify according to your own assessment.

I will post to that thread after I use each product. Right now I am just trying to decide which one to shave with this evening. I shave at night a lot due to how early I get up for work. So far I can say the scents are all pleasing.

13 947
 10-28-2015, 03:52 PM
User Info
(10-28-2015, 03:50 PM)Hobbyist Wrote:
(10-28-2015, 03:45 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote: Fantastic sample haul! Please be sure and post your impressions on the luxury soaps/creams thread, if any should qualify according to your own assessment.

I will post to that thread after I use each product. Right now I am just trying to decide which one to shave with this evening. I shave at night a lot due to how early I get up for work. So far I can say the scents are all pleasing.
Sounds great! Looking forward to your impressions.

3 1,484
 10-28-2015, 08:42 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
Sounds interesting. Especially the Proraso. I've always thought it can perform with the very best cream or soap. The scent, like always, can be a YMMV thing. I'm interested in hearing your opinion.

72 1,225
 10-28-2015, 11:03 PM
User Info
(10-28-2015, 08:42 PM)Gabe Wrote: Sounds interesting. Especially the Proraso. I've always thought it can perform with the very best cream or soap. The scent, like always, can be a YMMV thing. I'm interested in hearing your opinion.

I look forward to trying the Proraso actually and the scent is not too bad just not something I would buy, especially when they offer a Sandalwood that I hear is nice.

13 947
 10-29-2015, 09:23 PM
User Info
I've been to the Old Town Shaving store front, and they have a great little brick and mortal with a HUGE selection of products, and very friendly staff. I highly recommend them, especially for MdC, ABC, and Xpec.

3 196
 10-29-2015, 09:33 PM
User Info
(10-29-2015, 09:23 PM)TropicalHotDog Wrote: I've been to the Old Town Shaving store front, and they have a great little brick and mortal with a HUGE selection of products, and very friendly staff. I highly recommend them, especially for MdC, ABC, and Xpec.

I'm going to make a trip there this year sometime and also to West Coast Shaving. I live in Vegas so it's only a little over 4 hours drive.

13 947
 10-30-2015, 08:15 AM
User Info
(10-29-2015, 09:33 PM)Hobbyist Wrote:
(10-29-2015, 09:23 PM)TropicalHotDog Wrote: I've been to the Old Town Shaving store front, and they have a great little brick and mortal with a HUGE selection of products, and very friendly staff. I highly recommend them, especially for MdC, ABC, and Xpec.

I'm going to make a trip there this year sometime and also to West Coast Shaving. I live in Vegas so it's only a little over 4 hours drive.

While you are in the area, check out the Norton Simon museum, which is only a few blocks away. I went to Old Town Shaving after a trip to the museum, so I got to kill two birds with one stone, by driving out there.

3 196
 10-30-2015, 08:26 AM
User Info
On that note, have a drip coffee at Intelligentsia. Wonderful stuff.

3 1,484
 10-30-2015, 07:23 PM
User Info
(10-29-2015, 09:23 PM)TropicalHotDog Wrote: brick and mortal

Dang spelling errors! That sounds like a nifty name for a band, though. Lol.

3 196