10-29-2015, 11:05 AM
User Info
i found a couple of straights when i tidied one of my caves - i believe i received them from my mother at some point, and that they were from her family.

i know next to nothing about straight razors, but now after 3 years into de shaving, i wouldn’t exactly be terrified if i had to use one. i think… this particular razor looks indeed rather masculine and unfussy, feels natural and robust - pleasant to hold, and the scales keep its place firmly when open, without sagging.

with a little help i’ve collected a few facts about this razor:

faux frameback style straight razor by joseph rodgers, probably 1860-70s. partly illegible stamped with a maltese cross, and ‘JOSEPH ROD(GERS & SONS, CUTLERS TO THE(IR MAJESTIES), No 6 NO(RFOLK STREET, SHEFFIELD)’ - surface rust on blade, but doesn’t look to be severe - in fact the rusty stuff can easily be peeled off with my nail, and underneath it looks bright and shiny. scales are made of bone with one crack with attitude, and one insignificant small nick. the withered box could very well be original. all in all this false frameback straight intrigues me, and i hope someone could add something more, and perhaps give me some advice. if i decide to keep it i better use it!

[Image: hQ0iDIy.jpg]

[Image: 0OQr9cB.jpg]

[Image: frRwWFu.jpg]

[Image: BWpHUrr.jpg]

[Image: y3T9heu.jpg]

[Image: lWHeatd.jpg]

[Image: Blzx5R9.jpg]

[Image: u5vyxG8.jpg]

[Image: K8n0IQ7.jpg]

7 1,624
 10-29-2015, 11:12 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
Family heirlooms!!! Get those pups restored and use them. I have but one frameback, a Japanese NOS and it's a fantastic shaver (I told my wife to blame Jamie).

13 611
 10-29-2015, 02:49 PM
User Info
thanks for the encouragement - but i am not attached with items and deem them heirlooms; i see them as the things they are in themselves; memories i only find in a lock of hair; an ice-cold viking i am.

i believe that to restore this razor in the direction of its former glory will include a large amount of elbow grease - i'm not sure if i'm up to that: i use far more time to shave with a de than most of you guys, minimum 1.5 hours for each session - and i imagine a straight shave will take me even more, so perhaps it is more practical for me to let it go. there are only so many hours a day...

what you say? feed me some wisdom -

7 1,624
 10-29-2015, 02:57 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Maybe you need to feed us wisdom if it takes you 1.5 hours to shave. Smile

178 23,809
 10-29-2015, 07:44 PM
User Info
most actions i do takes what it takes to perform, and hardly can my shaving routine be regarded as wisdom - perhaps quite the opposite. it was misleading of me to mention 1.5 hours to shave, because that time frame always includes a bath. 

my day usually runs like this, exept fridays, which are left to chance. tea are always served by me to a guest:

0700 wake up & breakfast
0800 matcha (tea)
1030 calligraphy
1300 lunch
1400 gyokuro or karigane (tea)
1530 housekeeping & gardening
1700 shave & bath, or workout & bath
1830 dinner
2000 making crafts & reading loud
2300 good night

shaving, incorporating a bath:

- enter room, placing brush in warm water + warm water on soap (15 min)
- undress & check razor
- shake brush* and discard water on shaving soap, build lather (minimum 5 min)
- fill basin with warm water and wet face with terry
- apply shaving soap on face and let it stay for 5 minutes while working out
- brush up lather and add some water to it
- shave wtg
- pat rinse twice with warm wet terry
- reapply shaving soap on face
- shave wtg
- pat rinse twice with warm wet terry
- pat rinse twice with cold wet terry
- rinse soap in cold water
- rinse razor in hot water, then cold
- rinse brush in warm water, then cold
- proceed with bath
- pat dry face and apply as
- tidy up remedies & room
- get dressed and leave

*simpson 58, from you johnny Biggrin

7 1,624
 10-29-2015, 10:01 PM
User Info
The company existed 1682-1975 in Sheffield. http://strazors.com/index.php?id=47&doc=...sheffield_

11 1,940
 10-30-2015, 01:49 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Marius, now that was an enlightened education. Smile

178 23,809
 10-30-2015, 09:42 AM
User Info
much obliged jamie. i had found a little bit of information at the egginton group.

so, my hollow pointed rodgers looks to sport a wedge - is that correct? please see photo.

@johnny
ok - but at the same time i expose myself as reaching over to the lunatic end of scale, because i need such strict routine systems as guiding to avoid chaos Pancarta

[Image: Bi1Ph7R.jpg]

7 1,624
 10-31-2015, 09:29 AM
User Info
Does the blade say his or their majesties?

1 87
 10-31-2015, 12:01 PM
User Info
it says their majesties. seems to be the most usual for rodgers razors from the 1830s onwards.

[Image: IBKkdBG.jpg]

7 1,624
 11-24-2015, 12:27 PM
  • nunhgrader
  • Prairie Village, KS USA
User Info
This is a very cool thread Smile

I feel like I am underperforming when reading your daily practice/ routine!

28 667
 11-24-2015, 01:59 PM
User Info
- but i'm sure you do well.

the razor in question is now going through a slight facelift at an expert plastic surgeon in america. will come back for an update whence stitches are gone and skin fully healed

[Image: TWr6Mq1.jpg]

7 1,624