07-03-2012, 08:35 AM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
churchilllafemme offered a generous PIF last week of several creams & soaps. I requested the Ako simply to see what all the fuss was about! Some love it, some hate it, I just wanted to see where I stand. As a condition of the PIF, John asked that we write a review of our winnings, so here's mine.

I found this in yesterday's mail. I opened it up right there in the post office to find not only the Arko stick but a bonus of Lavender Martini soap! I stuck my nose in the envelope, but couldn't get a good whiff of anything.
[Image: c1-arko1.jpg]

I restrained myself until I got back to the office (1/2 block walk). But as soon as I got to my desk I gently opened the Arko & stuck my nose in there to get a good smell. I took 3 or 4 good sample whiffs & decided it's not bad at all! In fact, I find the lemony-citrus quite refreshing on a hot summer's day.

When we got home I showed my wife what I got. She sampled, smiled & said, "I like that!" Well that ought to be good for a few man points.

At about 8 pm, I decided it was time to give it a try. I generally shave, then shower, and last night was no exception. I got out my Gold Slim, sometimes referred to as an Adjustable Aristocrat. It already had a Super Iridium (used 5 times) loaded, so I set it to 4 & dropped it in the mug filled with cold water along with the brush.
[Image: c2-arko2.jpg]

While the razor & brush were cooling down I decided to try the Lavender Martini soap. I used it with warm water to wash my face, something that I don’t normally do. It felt good, & had a pleasing aroma – not very strong at all.

After the warm face wash I started splashing cold water on my face to get ready for the shave. After my cheeks cooled down a bit, I started rubbing the stick on my face. My whiskers were picking up the soap just fine. After about 30 seconds with the stick, I picked up the brush, gave it a little shake & began my face lather. The more I worked the brush on my face, the more lather was produced, and the lemony-citrus became stronger, but not overpowering. I liked it!

I do not like a thick whipped-creamy lather, but rather a thinner soapy lather. That was easily accomplished with the Arko, but for someone who wants thicker I beleive that can be easily achieved.

One pass ATG is how I usually shave & I do get a BBS (or darned near) every time. The razor glided as smoothly or more so than with other creams & sticks I have used.

After the shave, a quick shower, then out to the hot tub. By the time I came back inside (30 minutes), my face had warmed up enough, and once again a BBS! It’s been 15 hours now and I’m sitting at my desk typing this and faceurbating my BBS face!

I am glad I had a chance to try the Arko. For me, it is definitely a keeper! Thanks again John!

~Frank

18 271
 07-03-2012, 08:40 AM
User Info
Great review, Frank. Thanks. I'm glad you like it.

184 12,003
 07-03-2012, 08:42 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Thanks for sharing your review Frank!

I don't mind the scent either.

Gernerally, as long as a scent doesn't screw with my sinuses, I can use a product.

9 1,684
 07-04-2012, 09:41 AM
User Info
An excellent review, Frank - expresses my experience with Arko exactly.

Arko is dismissed by many because of the strong citronella scent, but it's an excellent tallow-based shaving soap!

0 1,377
 07-04-2012, 01:40 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Thanks for the review Frank. One of these days I'll get around to trying Arko (I have a stick, but I never tried it)!

91 17,853
 07-04-2012, 07:32 PM
User Info
(07-04-2012, 01:40 PM)ben74 Wrote: Thanks for the review Frank. One of these days I'll get around to trying Arko (I have a stick, but I never tried it)!

Open it up to see what you think of its scent. If you're fine with its scent, you'll probably like it.

0 214
 07-04-2012, 08:23 PM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
(07-04-2012, 07:32 PM)Pnume Wrote:
(07-04-2012, 01:40 PM)ben74 Wrote: Thanks for the review Frank. One of these days I'll get around to trying Arko (I have a stick, but I never tried it)!

Open it up to see what you think of its scent. If you're fine with its scent, you'll probably like it.

If not, send it to me!!! Biggrin

~Frank

18 271
 07-04-2012, 08:43 PM
User Info
I should go back to a stick of Arko; always liked that one.

47 1,270