07-03-2012, 12:28 PM
User Info
I am so tired. I feel like I've been 'rode hard and put away wet'.

As some may know, the Midwest through the East had a bit of bad weather come through. We lost all power late afternoon on Friday. Mind you, the temps have been in the mid 90s (~ 35c).

Having to stay here to watch the 'home-front' gave me great pause. I did have a generator to keep the fridge working and some fans going. My schedule was to start it up every 2 hours, then let it rest for 2. In summary; that's 5 days and 4 nights with no more than 2 hours rest at a time... and I'm one of the lucky ones. We only lost part of a shade tree that nicked the house (no big deal).

There are many that are in much worse shape than us. Predictions are for another several days of no power around here and a high of 97f.

The 'pause' comes in here; it wasn't THAT long ago that this would have actually been considered a good life... A nice cold shower whenever I wanted, having a generator to keep my food cold, the list goes on. My wife asked me how I managed to not complain. I said "who to"? Just play the cards you're dealt.

As a youth I learned an expression that said "just bring it on". Now I'm an older fart and I still live by that.

It's just getting a bit harderFacepalm. Hang in there my neighbors.

2 546
 07-03-2012, 12:32 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
wow Bob! hehe , keep your folks motivated! Biggrin

9 1,684
 07-03-2012, 12:50 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Glad to hear some things are getting back to normal. Good old mother nature can be a powerful force to deal with.

173 23,492
 07-03-2012, 12:59 PM
User Info
I'm glad you've got power again. Best wishes for everyone's recovery. I admire your attitude.

183 12,002
 07-03-2012, 02:27 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Bob, good thoughts are sent your way. You're a trooper, that's for sure. I hope things are rapidly returning to normal for you.

2 11,211
 07-03-2012, 11:24 PM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
We were wondering if any TSN members had been hit by the adverse weather over there. I'm really pleased to know that you're OK and in such good spirits considering what you have had to endure. Hope everything is back on an even keel as soon as possible.

1 290
 07-03-2012, 11:36 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
(07-03-2012, 12:28 PM)PanchoVilla Wrote: My wife asked me how I managed to not complain. I said "who to"? Just play the cards you're dealt.

As a youth I learned an expression that said "just bring it on". Now I'm an older fart and I still live by that.

This statement is quite beautiful. I've been slowly trying to accept life as it happens. I think as I get older (still a youngin' to you) I start to understand it better.

Glad you got through everything okay!

35 1,732
 07-04-2012, 07:15 AM
User Info
Thanks every one.

It's really strange how quickly the body can get acclimated. Last night I thought I'd sleep like a baby. Actually, the 'air' almost felt a bit chilly; and I still woke every couple of hours to go start or shut down the generator. One time I woke, feared I'd overslept and jumped to my feet.

All in all, as bad as things still are for so many, no one can say that EVERYONE isn't doing their absolute best to help those in need, everyone from the utility companies to the community.

The courtesy and respect under these conditions has been downright amazing.

Maybe mankind will make it after-all.

2 546
 07-04-2012, 08:09 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Bob

I hope life returns to normal sooner, rather than later for your wife, yourself and your neighbours.

Your positive attitude and outlook is top-draw Thumbsup

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 07-04-2012, 08:14 AM
User Info
Glad to hear things are on the uptick for you. The every-2-hour regimen sounds like when there is a newborn baby in the house!

Actually, I have a bit of a personal story to share. I had left hip replacement surgery last Wednesday (June 27). When I saw the TV news stories about power outages in the midwest and east, I said to myself -- "so here I am griping about my pain and lack of mobility, but somewhere out there is a guy in the early stages of recovering from having his hip done, and he is hot and sweaty, can't get a cold drink, can't get a full breath because of the humidity, oh MAN do I have it good." I have officially decided to stop complaining. Have a great 4th!

15 316
 07-04-2012, 08:17 AM
User Info
I'm glad to hear you got power back. I think around 80% in my country lost it and estimates for complete restoration are the 9th or 10th. We were lucky. A lot of friends have echoed your sentiments, though.

4 112
 07-04-2012, 11:59 AM
User Info
glad you're up and running, Bob.

my power went out for about 5 minutes the other night and came right back on.

I do need to invest in a generator.

40 5,830
 07-04-2012, 12:46 PM
User Info
When something like that happens and the end is in sight, no matter how distant, folks act as you describe, when there is no end in sight humanity is quite different. That's when the wolves come out. Also when the sheepdogs come out and neighborhoods band together in a common defense.

It's happened in other modernized countries and it's never pretty and always the same. That's when you lock and load and never leave home w/o it for sure.

Glad you have your power back. Living in a modern home w/o power is the pits.

We had a 5 day outage quite a few years ago. We had freezing rain for 3 days and 4" of ice was coating everything. Of course the power lines came down early on. Once that happens we don't have running water any longer.

The forest all around sounded like a firefight was going on in a glass shop. When a branch would crack, you'd hear the ice hitting the layer of ice on the ground. After the relatively mild temperature of the storm, then the wind picked up and the temperature plummetted. The wind chill was 80 below that first night after the storm. Of course no one had power, and the only folks who had warmth had wood stoves, generators, and alternate sources. Folks died from having their generators in their basements; CO just fills up a house. Some folks w/o a clue couldn't understand why their candles (for light) weren't keeping their homes warm. I learned of all that many days after the fact. One radio station out of Bangor stayed on the air because of a propane generator and they coordinated survival efforts over the air. So and so here needs whatever, this person needs this, and folks helped each other. The National guard did a heli-lift of propane up the mountain to keep their generators on the air. Amazing how fast the stores emptied out. The wife and I took a ride to see what was going on around us and it wasn't pretty. It looked like a wasteland after a war, except no craters. It was ATVs, snow mobiles and 4x4s for quite a few days; cars went nowhere.

That storm was our wake up call and we made significant changes. Now, power outages are measured in seconds, our then primary heat (oil) is now our secondary heat and what to most folks would be secondary heat (wood) we use as a primary heat source (plus, it's free except for the labor). I sold a 275 amp plug-in welder and bought an 8kw welder/generator, put in solar electric with battery storage, and placed into storage the kerosene appliances that carried us through the ice storm. Now no matter what nature has a tendency to throw at us up here in Maine we're pretty snug. We just hunker down and stay out of sight. Eventually we'll get things straightened out. If any of our neighbors needs a hand we're in a position to be a help rather than be a burden.

But we're rural too, and everyone on the hill knows everyone else. We can also recognize wolves if they come up the road and lots of us have a "just call me" agreement. Most times our phones work, and if not, the ATVs definitely do, and gunfire is always recognizable for either target practice (common) or something more serious. It's much easier to survive even minor things with folks helping than by oneself.

If you don't know your neighbors, make their acquaintance at the very least. There was a time after 9/11 when even the government suggested stocking canned items for an emergency- that's only common sense to have a larder, even if it's just canned tuna and rice kept under a bed. Of course steps can be much more elaborate too.

Just my $.02.

Gov't (FEMA) preparedness site.

Edit: added some stuff.

32 6,308
 07-04-2012, 01:28 PM
User Info
(07-04-2012, 08:14 AM)slackskin Wrote: Glad to hear things are on the uptick for you. The every-2-hour regimen sounds like when there is a newborn baby in the house!

Actually, I have a bit of a personal story to share. I had left hip replacement surgery last Wednesday (June 27). When I saw the TV news stories about power outages in the midwest and east, I said to myself -- "so here I am griping about my pain and lack of mobility, but somewhere out there is a guy in the early stages of recovering from having his hip done, and he is hot and sweaty, can't get a cold drink, can't get a full breath because of the humidity, oh MAN do I have it good." I have officially decided to stop complaining. Have a great 4th!

Happy 4th Slackskin. Don't sell your condition short though. I hope everything went well.

Just don't have a personal pitty party.

Good luck to you.

(07-04-2012, 11:59 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: glad you're up and running, Bob.

my power went out for about 5 minutes the other night and came right back on.

I do need to invest in a generator.

Andrew, you don't need anything fancy. All mine does is run the fridge, sump, fans (or small heater), and a couple of lights, with a 1000 watts to spare... TV, etc. Unfortunately my cable was out as well (to stay connected). Talk about looong days.

2 546
 07-05-2012, 04:35 AM
User Info
Good luck, Bob.

75 20,883
 07-05-2012, 06:41 PM
User Info
I wonder what happened to all the people who use electric razors... Traditional wetshaving has practical benefits in ways beyond the obvious. Glad to hear your power is back on.

0 303