11-01-2015, 07:11 PM
User Info
I've not yet tried MWF, but I've noticed that it's available in both pucks and bars, and that the pucks cost much more than the bars.  Are they the same soap?  Does anyone know?

11 84
 11-01-2015, 07:24 PM
User Info
I have never used the bar, but the puck is amazing.

61 3,796
 11-01-2015, 07:42 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
The pucks are shave soap and the bars are bath/hand soap. 
I have only used the shave soap but if they are anything like the shave soap they are going to be good.

28 1,622
 11-01-2015, 07:50 PM
User Info
Okay.  So what makes one one, and the other the other?  Do you know?  'Cause that's what I was wondering.  Thanx.

11 84
 11-01-2015, 08:13 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
The shave soap has a few extras that will help with the lather and protection/slickness during a shave. I have no idea what each ingredient does for the soap but the I can say that the pucks are worth the money. Here is a list of each. 

the bath soap ingredients as they appear on the packaging: Sodium Tallowate,sodium palm kernelate, aqua, parfum, coumarin, linalool, glycerin, sodium chloride, lanolin, c177891,tetrasodium EDTA, tetrasodium etidronate. 

the shave soap ingredients: Sodium Tallowate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Stearate, Aqua, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Parfum, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Lanolin, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Gluconate, Sodium Silicate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Magnesium

28 1,622
 11-01-2015, 08:50 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(11-01-2015, 08:13 PM)jamesrobson5 Wrote: The shave soap has a few extras that will help with the lather and protection/slickness during a shave. I have no idea what each ingredient does for the soap but the I can say that the pucks are worth the money. Here is a list of each. 

the bath soap ingredients as they appear on the packaging: Sodium Tallowate,sodium palm kernelate, aqua, parfum, coumarin, linalool, glycerin, sodium chloride, lanolin, c177891,tetrasodium EDTA, tetrasodium etidronate. 

the shave soap ingredients: Sodium Tallowate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Stearate, Aqua, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Parfum, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Lanolin, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Gluconate, Sodium Silicate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Magnesium

This.
There IS a difference between a bath soap and a shave soap. Each is formulated for the task they are designed for. I don't pretend to be able to point out those differences, but this topic comes up from time to time on all the forums. Usually one or more soap makers pops on and explains things, but it's still all Greek to me.
Buy the puck, meant for shaving. You will not regret it. MWF is a really fine, triple milled shaving soap that will last you a very, very long time, even if you load the snot out of it like I do. And the post shave properties are superb.
Buy the refill puck for around $15 and put it in your own container and you will be living large for a long time.

2 1,683
 11-02-2015, 01:53 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I don't know what makes the difference is between a shave soap and a bath soap. I did use a bar of Ivory soap once just to see if it can be used as a shave soap. It was not a great experience and nowhere near, by a very long shot, as good as using a soap designed specifically for shaving.

I always buy a refill puck of any soap and put it in my own container not being willing to pay the extra for a fancy jar.

Bob

0 1,694
 11-02-2015, 02:12 AM
User Info
Thank you, Gentlemen.  
A man can learn a few things around here.  There's quite a difference in ingredients.  
I think I'll buy both; one for the shave and one for the shower.

11 84
 11-02-2015, 04:15 AM
User Info
They are both great at their intended purpose. Just read up a bit on using the shave soap because it can be a temperamental product. I'm no expert but bath soaps tend to focus on cleansing aspects and don't lather up much (imagine taking a shower with lather all over the place!). Shaving soaps tend to focus on building a stable lather and providing cushion against razor burn. So that's why they are different formulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

84 1,505
 11-02-2015, 07:32 AM
User Info
The primary difference in ingredients is the use of both types of lye (potassium hydroxide and sodium hydroxide) to make shaving soap.  Bath soap only contains sodium hydroxide.   The potassium hydroxide helps with the lathering aspect of shaving soap.   When you see "tallowate" in the ingredients, preceded by either sodium or potassium, that is tallow that has been converted to soap (saponified) by sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide.  Thus, the MWF bath soap only has sodium tallowate in it while MWF shaving soap has both kinds of tallowate.  The MWF makers also saponify stearic acid to stearate and coconut oil to cocoate.  

Looking at the MWF shaving soap ingredient list, I see saponified fats, some fragrances, lanolin, titanium dioxide whitener, and a mild preservative, tetrasodium EDTA.

2 81
 11-02-2015, 04:28 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
After reading all this I decided to try and lather up my bar of MWF bath soap for a shave.  Four words... It did not work.

178 23,809
 11-02-2015, 04:53 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I've used both. MWF shave is legendary and always a top listed contender in spite of folklore about lathering difficulty and people cracking up over the soap cracking up. The body soap is a generous American football shaped creature of good performance and longevity. If you look at online prices expect no less- and buy from Phil. It is a very slippery soap. I briefly favoured Pre de Provence bar soap until the complicated ordering of assorted scents made it a PITA for Phil and me ( email from vendor: This is a lovely French soap blahblahblah, and heydude! I know it is and your prices are insane). PDP and MWF bath soap share another characteristic; both can easily self propel themselves with great velocity and smartbomb 98% footkilling  average Ratheon can only dream of.

2 3,171
 11-02-2015, 05:13 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(11-02-2015, 04:53 PM)kav Wrote: both can easily self propel themselves with great velocity and smartbomb 98% footkilling  average Ratheon can only dream of.

A47 Piggy_214

2 1,683