11-02-2015, 10:50 AM
User Info
so, basically i want a brush that is soft and luxurious, not scrubby but with enough backbone, i'm wondering if a thater or shavemac fan knot will provide this? if so what knot/loft is best? i would prefer a 24-26mm knot

0 4
 11-02-2015, 11:08 AM
User Info
(11-02-2015, 10:50 AM)Charlie23 Wrote: so, basically i want a brush that is soft and luxurious, not scrubby but with enough backbone, i'm wondering if a thater or shavemac fan knot will provide this? if so what knot/loft is best? i would prefer a 24-26mm knot

The Thater or Shavemac are not scrubby..you can order a custom Shavemack with the specs you want..
Thater on the other hand, is a coin toss with the loft you will receive ..
For fans I have read 2:1 ratio is best with fans

19 249
 11-02-2015, 11:10 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I still have yet to try out one of the new Shavemac 2-band (NOT D01) brushes, but the feedback on the forums is nearly universally positive.

I have several Thäter two bands, and to me, they are the most consistently "soft, luxurious, not scrubby and enough backbone" brushes that can currently be purchased. I can, without hesitation, recommend one of those to meet your needs.

This is only speculation on my part, but given that Thäter and Shavemac have had business relations in the past, and given the specific feedback that I've heard about the Shavemac 2-bands, I suspect that the knots may be sourced from the same, or similar, sources. I don't mean that statement to imply anything negative about either vendor. I very much hope to try out a Shavemac 2-band brush in the near future, but I would also enjoy staying married. Biggrin

22 824
 11-02-2015, 11:18 AM
User Info
Basically they are the same knot, advantage with the Shavemac is you can order a lower loft.  2:1 ratio is ideal for a bulb, recommend you go lower with a fan.

I have a Shavemac 26x48 fan (2 band silvertip) that's turned out perfect - soft tips, great backbone for hard soaps, excellent flow-thru (after a short break-in, maybe 5-6 uses).

I personally found the Thater knots to have too high of a loft to be ideal for face-lathering.  Have sold all of mine and replaced them with custom Shavemacs.

52 1,177
 11-02-2015, 11:28 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
What David said is absolutely true, although I would like to add that I personally really like the higher lofts. To my taste, I think it makes the brush feel more luxurious to the face. (I am a face latherer)

But that is strictly a matter of my personal preference. Some people feel that the higher lofts of the Thäters contribute to a "floppy" feel. While I don't find that to be the case, I absolutely acknowledge that the higher lofts gives it a very different feel.

Worth mentioning: the loft on the 4125 series is lower than the 4292 series. I have some of each, and the 4125 behaves more like the lower-lofted brushes predominant on the market today, while the 4292 series has more of a high-loft, lower density feel. There may be differences in how the knot is stuffed (i.e. hair density) but I cannot confirm that empirically.

One final note: the higher lofts on the 4292 series, combined with a fan shape, really mess with your concept of what the knot is supposed to feel like in relation to its size. I have a 4292/6, which is "only" 28mm, but because of the loft, it looks and feels clownishly large. (Not that I'm complaining - I kinda like it!) The feel is much more in line with my 32mm Kent BK12. I also have a 4292/3, which measures only 22mm, but to my face, it feels much more in-line with what my "standard" 24-25mm brushes feel like. Just keep that in mind. If you have other brushes in the 24-26mm range, and you like that style, I might recommend going with a 4292/3 or 4292/4.

22 824
 11-02-2015, 11:50 AM
User Info
(11-02-2015, 10:50 AM)Charlie23 Wrote: so, basically i want a brush that is soft and luxurious, not scrubby but with enough backbone, i'm wondering if a thater or shavemac fan knot will provide this? if so what knot/loft is best? i would prefer a 24-26mm knot

I have both the Shavemac and Thater brushes both with the Fan shaped knots both two band silvertips the Thater being a Finest Silvertip, both have 26mm knots the Shavemac as a 46mm loft and the Thater a 49mm loft having been the owner of many brushes through the years including Rooney Heritage Simpsons Morris & Forndran I can say without doubt the Thater as the softest tips of all those brushes it's pure luxury to me, after saying that the Shavemac comes an extremely close second and I wouldn't trade it off against any of the above.

11 1,922
 11-02-2015, 12:00 PM
  • ddk13
  • Nebraska
User Info
I have a Shavemac 24x48 silvertip 2-band Fan that I love.  I just let go of a Thater that measured 24x50.  The Thater was soft, but the Shavemac has a more gel-type quality (hooked tips) that I enjoy more.  It's also a more densely packed knot which gives it more backbone.  That being said I don't think I'd go below the 2:1 ratio as was stated.  Otherwise you will get the scrub that you are not looking for.  Good luck with your purchase!!  I don't think you can choose wrong with either brand.

42 581
 11-02-2015, 01:06 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Some great advice by some of the most knowledgeable gents on this forum.

14 871
 11-02-2015, 01:17 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I have both and enjoy both equally. I have a preference for Shavemac as I can order a knot to my specifications, and use it for a custom handle.

38 5,037
 11-02-2015, 09:39 PM
User Info
Both are great brushes, but the Thaters tend to be too soft (not enough backbone) for me. However, you may find that they suit your, very well.
The Shavemac Silvertip 2-Band knots are excellent also and I much prefer them as you can order any knot you want to your specifications and set it into a custom handle. The hair is almost 'gel-like' with good backbone, but I wouldn't characterize it as 'scrubby' as the tips are extremely soft.

Good luck with your decision. Shy

82 21,056
 11-03-2015, 04:59 AM
User Info
I prefer Thaters. Prefer bulbs because they feel smaller on the face with more backbone compared to a fan of the same knot size

3 742
 11-04-2015, 07:31 AM
User Info
For me, I like the Shavemac because you can get many different handles, with ANY knot size/loft size you want.  No offense to a Thater (I have a bulb I love, 4292/5) but that for me was what did it with Shavemac, and makes the Shavemac my preference.  I cannot tell a difference between the Shavemac two band hair and the Thater two band hair, except I felt like the Shavemac hair was softer out of the box.  Now, I do have a newer Thater, (I have read from you guys that the older ones were really soft).  Anyhow, if someone were asking me personally, Thater or Shavemac, I say Shavemac because again, customization and the differences in the hair is not much, both are soft with backbone, at least on my face.

1 468
 11-04-2015, 02:09 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Just to clarify I am under the impression that Thater still hand ties their own knots, i.e. they are not ShaveMac knots. Handles are the same but Thater has their own artisans. 

I own both brands in bulb & fan and I prefer Thater bulbs.

159 1,319
 11-04-2015, 02:12 PM
User Info
I just received a Thater 4125/2 today so the verdict is still out on it but the previous Thater I own in bulb I love. I recently had a bad experience with shavemac that I won't embellish in the thread, so it's Thater for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

115 1,005
 11-04-2015, 02:21 PM
User Info
(11-04-2015, 02:09 PM)Steelman Wrote: Just to clarify I am under the impression that Thater still hand ties their own knots, i.e. they are not ShaveMac knots. Handles are the same but Thater has their own artisans. . .

That's my understanding.

29 1,776
 11-04-2015, 06:47 PM
User Info
(11-02-2015, 09:39 PM)celestino Wrote: Both are great brushes, but the Thaters tend to be too soft (not enough backbone) for me. However, you may find that they suit your, very well.
The Shavemac Silvertip 2-Band knots are excellent also and I much prefer them as you can order any knot you want to your specifications and set it into a custom handle. The hair is almost 'gel-like' with good backbone, but I wouldn't characterize it as 'scrubby' as the tips are extremely soft.

Good luck with your decision. Shy

+1

27 396
 11-04-2015, 07:04 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
(11-04-2015, 02:09 PM)Steelman Wrote: Just to clarify I am under the impression that Thater still hand ties their own knots, i.e. they are not ShaveMac knots. Handles are the same but Thater has their own artisans. 

I own both brands in bulb & fan and I prefer Thater bulbs.

I want to revise my previous statement a little bit:

I very clearly said that "I suspect the knots are sourced from the same, or similar sources." Now, if you all could read my mind, you would know what I really meant was that "I suspect the two vendors may source their badger hair from the same, or similar sources."

I do believe that each vendor has individual artisans hand-tying their own respective knots. And I acknowledge that the tying part is a very important part of the overall qualities of the end product. One artisan could take hair from the exact same (...grocery bag? bushel? pickle jar? ... I realize I have no idea how the hair arrives from China...) as a different artisan, and make a knot with very different qualities.

However, I will maintain that the qualities of the knot sound, from how I've heard them described, to be very similar in qualities. And I can say first-hand that Thäter knots are not all that similar to Simpson, Rooney, M&F, or any other brush I've tried in the past.

22 824