11-02-2015, 11:02 AM
User Info
Who likes it?

I haven't tried it yet. I always believed pre-shave oil was unnecessary, but a friend threw in a partial bottle of pre-shave oil with a recent transaction, now I'm hooked. 

I have a coarse, dense beard with sensitive skin (especially the neck). I don't have problems with the face, but the neck has always been tricky for me. 

I'm thinking of trying the green and white pre-shave. I'm curious to hear other's thoughts and experiences.

14 154
 11-02-2015, 11:09 AM
User Info
I only use Baume, occasionally.  My Badger brushes will never see oil Biggrin

61 3,796
 11-02-2015, 11:48 AM
User Info
(11-02-2015, 11:02 AM)TAB Wrote: Who likes it?

I haven't tried it yet. I always believed pre-shave oil was unnecessary, but a friend threw in a partial bottle of pre-shave oil with a recent transaction, now I'm hooked. 

I have a coarse, dense beard with sensitive skin (especially the neck). I don't have problems with the face, but the neck has always been tricky for me. 

I'm thinking of trying the green and white pre-shave. I'm curious to hear other's thoughts and experiences.

I love it. Smile
I've been using Proraso preshave, both white and green, for a number of years and find that it helps soften my beard somewhat before the first pass.
However, a few of my friends have said that they get an allergic reaction to the green version. I can't say - both work wonderfully for me, while the white is also excellent at soothing irritation (caused by a bad blade or soap, for example).
Must try the red some day ...

0 60
 11-02-2015, 12:00 PM
User Info
I heard good things about it.  I'm just not a big pre shave guy Smile

61 3,796
 11-02-2015, 12:21 PM
User Info
I have recently been using the Proraso red (sandlewood) pre/post shave cream and really like the fragrance..not sure how much of a difference it is making to my shaves though.

1 213
 11-02-2015, 01:14 PM
User Info
Does it seem to aid in slickness or just cushioning and conditioning? It seems to be quite thick whereas most products of this type are more like oils/gels.

14 154
 11-02-2015, 02:58 PM
User Info
For ME it provides a bit of slickness and protection. I massage into my coarse beard before I shave. Personally I don't find it as thick as preshave oils.

I tend not to apply it when I'm using certain products such as Baume.be shaving cream or SV shaving soap as for me these products perform great without it.

1 213
 11-03-2015, 03:05 AM
User Info
I recently got a jar of this in a gift package. I like the wake-up call it sends! It works well with mildly mentholated creams such as Dettol Cool, though it may conflict with other soaps or creams.

I haven't used it enough to say whether it improves the quality of the shave.

Some use it as a post-shave product too.

8 951
 11-03-2015, 04:15 AM
User Info
(11-02-2015, 01:14 PM)TAB Wrote: Does it seem to aid in slickness or just cushioning and conditioning? It seems to be quite thick whereas most products of this type are more like oils/gels.

For me, it greatly improves cushioning/conditioning, not slickness. But since I'm not looking for the latter, it's no problem.
And although it appears thick, once you rub it in, it largely disappears.

0 60
 11-03-2015, 05:49 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
I love proraso pre shave. I use it every shave/pass. I enjoy the menthol and protection for my thick stubble. Its YMMV type of thing but its also a great barrier to know if a SS or SC irritates your skin.

10 963
 11-04-2015, 10:58 AM
User Info
I usually alternate between Proraso White, Green and Dreadnought Pre-Shave Oil... IMHO it adds a little bit of slickness while softening my stubble... it also adds a much needed layer of protection to my skin since i'm an everyday shaver. But, as everything wet shaving related, YMMV!

Envoyé de mon SM-G900W8 en utilisant Tapatalk

0 4
 11-04-2015, 11:52 AM
  • racebmx
  • Sapone Di Paolo
  • Charleston, South Carolina
User Info
They should really just call it PREraso.   Biggrin

11 686
 11-05-2015, 07:50 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I use the green version and love it.  Love the scent, menthol, and skin protection.  I apply it to a damp face with damp hands.  Helps to liquify the cream.  Works really well when using MWF.

179 23,944
 11-05-2015, 09:01 AM
User Info
(11-03-2015, 03:05 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: I recently got a jar of this in a gift package. I like the wake-up call it sends! It works well with mildly mentholated creams such as Dettol Cool, though it may conflict with other soaps or creams.

Rory,
I understand you're referring to the green version, correct?

0 60
 11-05-2015, 11:12 AM
User Info
(11-05-2015, 09:01 AM)Skanderbeg Wrote:
(11-03-2015, 03:05 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: I recently got a jar of this in a gift package. I like the wake-up call it sends! It works well with mildly mentholated creams such as Dettol Cool, though it may conflict with other soaps or creams.

Rory,
I understand you're referring to the green version, correct?

It's the jar with the green lid and green/white label with white cream inside. I don't know the product line well enough to know if there are others.

8 951
 11-05-2015, 01:59 PM
User Info
OK, so it is the green version. I was just curious, as from what I've read most people would use the white version as a post-shave, not the green.
And all three creams - white, green and red - are white in colour.

0 60
 11-05-2015, 04:46 PM
  • Journeyman
  • The Present (when I'm lucky)
User Info
I use the green as a post-shave balm and love it for that purpose. I currently have about 5 1/2 jars in stock from a large Gifts & Care order. Smile

18 279
 11-06-2015, 06:21 AM
User Info
Regarding pre/post it's my understanding any of the colors can be used for either pre or post (or both). The general formula is the same (I think) just minor substitutions. I wouldn't mind seeing this product offered in the Blue formula. Normally, I don't like even a hint of anise, but I really enjoy the blue shave cream.  I can't help but think the blue formula pre/post would be equally claming and nourishing (if it existed).

14 154
 11-07-2015, 02:56 AM
User Info
(11-06-2015, 06:21 AM)TAB Wrote: Regarding pre/post it's my understanding any of the colors can be used for either pre or post (or both). The general formula is the same (I think) just minor substitutions. I wouldn't mind seeing this product offered in the Blue formula. Normally, I don't like even a hint of anise, but I really enjoy the blue shave cream.  I can't help but think the blue formula pre/post would be equally claming and nourishing (if it existed).

Absolutely so, it's just that I've read a good many opinions stating that people prefer the white in the post-shave role. I can't say, really, because I use the white and green (haven't yet tried the red) as a pre-shave only.

0 60
 11-07-2015, 07:53 PM
User Info
It is my favorite preshave. I hardly use preshave when I DE shave but always use it when I straight shave. For me, I noticed my straight shaves improved when I began using it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 326