11-02-2015, 04:52 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
OK I'm looking for top of the line.  I've got my good ol' trusty LL Bean boots....but I'm looking to treat myself to some quality leather goodness.

My hunting needs are simple...I live in Delaware, which is flat, with moderate temperatures.  So I don't need superwarm, fleece lined, or super traction.  8-10 inch height should suffice.  I hunt waterfowl, upland birds and deer.

Wolverine?  Danner?  Sorel? What do you like?

Thanks in advance.

168 1,386
 11-02-2015, 05:16 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Consider CORCORAN paratrooper boots. They come in a wide selection of sizes, brown or black and a big online military dealer ( you can't miss them on a vendor search) gives a nice discount to new customers and quick delivery. The Munson last is legendary for comfort. The boots are all leather uppers, brass nailed sole and hard rubber heal. The two sets of shoelaces are garbage. Buy some milspec paracord, remove the inner 7 strands and cut to length, with plenty of extra to make a few wraps with knots to secure. I have severe prolapsed ankles and 6 months of hard walking sees new heels needed. There are many boot dressings. Get some Wyoming Pitchblend ( made in Texas) comprised of pure mink oil, pine pitch and beeswax in the heavy formula. they will take a few months to really break in.
The other boots have good reps. Look for ones with rebuildable soles in either a NORWEGIAN or GOODYEAR welt. THINK about weight. In the 70s we stomped around in massive Italian leather mountaineering boots with deep lugs and bright red laces. They destroyed lots of soils, plants and shins. The pendulum has swung to elfin fairy slippers by the ultralight crowd that even Legolas would avoid.

2 3,171
 11-02-2015, 05:46 PM
User Info
(11-02-2015, 05:16 PM)kav Wrote: Consider CORCORAN paratrooper boots. They come in a wide selection of sizes, brown or black and a big online military dealer ( you can't miss them on a vendor search) gives a nice discount to new customers and quick delivery. The Munson last is legendary for comfort. The boots are all leather uppers, brass nailed sole and hard rubber heal. The two sets of shoelaces are garbage. Buy some milspec paracord, remove the inner 7 strands and cut to length, with plenty of extra to make a few wraps with knots to secure. I have severe prolapsed ankles and 6 months of hard walking sees new heels needed. There are many boot dressings. Get some Wyoming Pitchblend ( made in Texas) comprised of pure mink oil, pine pitch and beeswax in the heavy formula. they will take a few months to really break in.
The other boots have good reps. Look for ones with rebuildable soles in either a NORWEGIAN or GOODYEAR welt. THINK about weight. In the 70s we stomped around in massive Italian leather mountaineering boots with deep lugs and bright red laces. They destroyed lots of soils, plants and shins. The pendulum has swung to elfin fairy slippers by the ultralight crowd that even Legolas would avoid.

I have those Corcorans but they're too nice to ruin for that... I use McRae Desert boots with Panama sole for the dirty stuff.

18 713
 11-02-2015, 05:59 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
How can you ruin boots that jumped into Normandy?

2 3,171
 11-02-2015, 06:05 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(11-02-2015, 05:59 PM)kav Wrote: How can you ruin boots that jumped into Normandy?

Biggrin

46 18,370
 11-02-2015, 06:08 PM
User Info
I would look into ZAMBERLAN
They are handmade in Italy
I have three pairs and I'll be dang if I can wear them out. Here's a couple quick cell phone pics.

[Image: l5AeUzf.jpg]
[Image: C9Ldf8k.jpg]

20 1,338
 11-02-2015, 06:13 PM
User Info
I only use Danner's Thumbsup

[Image: MWWgYaF.jpg]

61 3,796
 11-02-2015, 07:05 PM
User Info
(11-02-2015, 06:13 PM)hrfdez Wrote: I only use Danner's Thumbsup

+1 on the Danners.  I used the Acadia model which is the boot Hector posted.  They're very comfortable.  Not the lightest on the market but I would have never used anything else.  I was pretty hard on them.  I wore them at least 10-12 hours a day for 4 to 5 days a week.  I put a lot of hard miles on them. The uppers lasted well over 10 years.  I had to have them re-soled during their lifespan but that would be expected with any boot that gets a lot of miles put on them.  I'm retired now so flip flops and slippers have taken their place.  Haha.  I still use the pair I was wearing when I retired but they don't see anywhere near the same use now.  Nothing but good things to say about Danners.

3 193
 11-02-2015, 07:08 PM
User Info
(11-02-2015, 07:05 PM)Carbonfreek Wrote:
(11-02-2015, 06:13 PM)hrfdez Wrote: I only use Danner's Thumbsup

+1 on the Danners.  I used the Acadia model which is the boot Hector posted.  They're very comfortable.  Not the lightest on the market but I would have never used anything else.  I was pretty hard on them.  I wore them at least 10-12 hours a day for 4 to 5 days a week.  I put a lot of hard miles on them. The uppers lasted well over 10 years.  I had to have them re-soled during their lifespan but that would be expected with any boot that gets a lot of miles put on them.  I'm retired now so flip flops and slippers have taken their place.  Haha.  I still use the pair I was wearing when I retired but they don't see anywhere near the same use now.  Nothing but good things to say about Danners.
Great boots!  I also have the 3/4.  For outdoors and winter weather they are great.

61 3,796
 11-02-2015, 07:10 PM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
I'm a wolverine fan.  Wear them to work and also wear them to hunt pheasant here in Nebraska.

45 618
 11-02-2015, 07:25 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
The Corcorans are just too cool.  I WILL own them.  Any tips on sizing?  I wear an 11.5 - 12 depending on the maker. Any need to size up or down?  I'd probably just go with a 12 for a little extra room.

I will probably get a pair of Danner as well.  Always liked them. What the hell. Tongue   Like I learned from our Viking shaver, Claus...Go big or go home!

168 1,386
 11-02-2015, 07:34 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Corcorans IS the manufacturer and have a website. They run pretty true to size. There are countless knockoff 'paratrooper boots' but these are the real deal. I found them overly tight around my ankle until breaking in. I'll post the dealer I mentioned. You can choose WW2 brown or black. I went brown because of the skinhead connection and a general aversion to the whole 'tactical black' nonsense. I keep searching for a 'strategic' boot or even a MAD boot (mutually assured destruction in a groin kicking contest) but
keep seeing all this SWAT nonsense.

2 3,171
 11-02-2015, 07:44 PM
User Info
(11-02-2015, 07:25 PM)Steelman Wrote: The Corcorans are just too cool.  I WILL own them.  Any tips on sizing?  I wear an 11.5 - 12 depending on the maker. Any need to size up or down?  I'd probably just go with a 12 for a little extra room.

I will probably get a pair of Danner as well.  Always liked them. What the hell. Tongue   Like I learned from our Viking shaver, Claus...Go big or go home!

I wear a size 10 or 10.5 in regular sneakers. I wear a size 9 in the Corcorans. I'm sized 9 in every other combat boot though, they seem to always be super big.There is still plenty of room. Biggerst toe box I've ever experienced. My local army surplus store carries them. You might try looking at yours. Really most surplus stores have them.

They're good boots. Very comfortable once broken in but hell before.

18 713
 11-02-2015, 08:41 PM
User Info
 11-02-2015, 08:47 PM
User Info
Alfa M77 is the boot to get - so far it has taken me on average 8 years to wear a pair out with daily use and abuse. Wool socks in winter, thinner socks in summer, takes care of my feets dry as long as I takes care of my boots Wink

[Image: 54181906b76c70576e8b46d8.jpg?original=1&v=5]

3 4,501
 11-03-2015, 12:49 AM
User Info
Salomen quest , I believe 4d gtx . Best boot money can buy. OP you know I wouldn't tell you wrong or tell you anything if I wasn't 100% sure .

3 1,356
 11-03-2015, 04:33 AM
User Info
Top of the line Krugge at Walmart. What a fine looking boot. [Image: ca38cada00cadb3a075137c35d95d90a.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 858
 11-03-2015, 05:37 AM
User Info
When I was hunting upland game in a state 500 miles south of Maine I liked a pair of common sense Browning kangaroo leather boots with crepe soles. They were lightweight and tough. That was also 40+ years ago. But feet haven't changed radically in all of those years.

I wore Corcoran jump boots professionally for their intended use and in 3 years they weren't hurt. They are designed to be worn and worn hard.

You didn't mention what type of deer hunting you do. If you're sitting in a blind you can use pretty much any foot covering, even sneakers. If you're still hunting or stalking the Corcorans won't do for that. That hard sole would be too noisy. You'll want a quieter sole for moving silently. Those kangaroo leather with crepe soles would work for both upland game and still hunting deer and feel fine in a blind. They're lightweight too. I haven't kept up, so maybe something like that is still made? Those boots wouldn't work for hunting in Maine which has much different conditions, generally. (Hence Bean boots)

You could do a lot worse than todays GI type combat footwear which is designed for general purpose outdoor use.

FWIW, I would never buy boots without trying them on and having them in my hands. Whoops! I did one time. I ordered a set of Lowa Civetta mountaineering boots from an outfit in Denver many years ago. I sent them bare foot tracings so that they could fit me. But they were very expensive boots and I didn't want any errors. No they wouldn't be good hunting boots (especially not in Maine), but they are great when the ground is frozen and covered in snow.

That brings up another possibility if you still hunt. It's definitely non-traditional thinking outside of the box. Those mountaineering boots are just above ankle height and I wear them when the snow is waist deep with no problems. Gaiters make the difference. Gaiters are lightweight extensions that turn lower height footwear into something crudproof and snow proof. Basically making a high boot out of it. I use gaiters on Limmer mountain bots also which are even lower than my Civettas. They work fine. When I was working I'd wear low sneakers in the lab, and I'd get through snowfalls with, you guessed it, gaiters. If you still hunt or stalk they'd work fine and would be very quiet, especially if they can be found made out of fleece. When I still hunt I wear sneakers specifically for the noise factor. I want the deer to stand (if at all) and wonder what woke it up as it rubs the sleepers out of it's eyes. Sneakers allow that type of moving, one just needs to pick ones path of travel to stay out of water and such. But they won't work for all day wear in snow even with gaiters.

32 6,459
 11-03-2015, 06:02 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I hunt year round all over and run a hunting message board. I have had my current pair of Danner Pronghorn's for 10 years now. They are the first pair of boots that were "broken in" the first time I put them on. You can get them in various configurations for your area. They will not break the bank either. 

Bob

[Image: boots.jpg]
[Image: boots2.jpg]

If you want a top tier boot for more money, the German Meindl's are excellent.

4 2,764
 11-03-2015, 06:29 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
All I ever wore back in the day was a pair of Red Wing Irish Setter's.

[Image: wDZE4tw.jpg]

178 23,809