11-02-2015, 10:37 PM
User Info
From what I've read around the place, Meißner Tremonia used to be quite a poor performing soap but that is has more recently been reformulated.

I'm looking for some opinions on the performance of the new formulation, either paste or hard puck soaps. 

I understand that each scent has a slightly different soap base so please specify which scent you are referring to and maybe some thoughts on the scent as well.

8 206
 11-03-2015, 12:39 AM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
I have two of the soaps (sea salt sage and Lavender deluxe).  These are the best performing soaps I have.  They lather easily (IMO) and provide great glide without the super slick like some soaps have that result in your hands slipping during shaving.  

As for the scents,  they are strong but only during the shave, once I shower afterwards I have not had any lingering scent.  The lavender is like C&S Oxford and Cambridge but on steroids.  The sea salt sage is like it says.  Very unique.  

My Brother has the Moroccan Rhasoul (sp) soap.  He finds the scent to be pleasurable like being in Morocco.   He rates it with Xpec and ABC and prefers Meißner above them by a nose.  

The one item I would like to note is that your face feels so clean after using them.  This could be from all the natural ingredients that they are made from.

I am waiting for the new 3 scents to come out before ordering an additional soap or I may try a paste.

2 479
 11-03-2015, 02:25 AM
User Info
(11-03-2015, 12:39 AM)Jovan Wrote: I have two of the soaps (sea salt sage and Lavender deluxe).  These are the best performing soaps I have.  They lather easily (IMO) and provide great glide without the super slick like some soaps have that result in your hands slipping during shaving.  

As for the scents,  they are strong but only during the shave, once I shower afterwards I have not had any lingering scent.  The lavender is like C&S Oxford and Cambridge but on steroids.  The sea salt sage is like it says.  Very unique.  

My Brother has the Moroccan Rhasoul (sp) soap.  He finds the scent to be pleasurable like being in Morocco.   He rates it with Xpec and ABC and prefers Meißner above them by a nose.  

The one item I would like to note is that your face feels so clean after using them.  This could be from all the natural ingredients that they are made from.

I am waiting for the new 3 scents to come out before ordering an additional soap or I may try a paste.

Thank you for responding.

This is the kind of information I wanted as I'm considering ordering a paste and a hard puck but need to make sure that the overall product is worth the cost.
I'm thinking of ordering the Exotic Elemi and maybe the Himalayan Hights or maybe the Pots of Milk for the added goats milk and macadamia nut oil.

Do you know what the new scents will be?

8 206
 11-03-2015, 02:30 AM
  • max1ci6
  • Ancona, Italy
User Info
You will not deluded with Tremonia , I have 5 pastes and 3 more coming , performance is excellent and post feeling is amazing.
New scents are Natural Bay Rum , Woody Almond and Gentle Menthol (first 3 in this page ).

0 1,044
 11-03-2015, 04:31 AM
User Info
(11-03-2015, 02:30 AM)max1ci6 Wrote: You will not deluded with Tremonia , I have 5 pastes and 3 more coming , performance is excellent and post feeling is amazing.
New scents are Natural Bay Rum , Woody Almond and Gentle Menthol (first 3 in this page ).

Do you notice much of a difference between the different scents considering they have slightly different ingredients? 
Have you tried the hard soap pucks as well?

8 206
 11-03-2015, 05:12 AM
  • max1ci6
  • Ancona, Italy
User Info
I have tried sample of hard soaps and don't think there is difference with the pastes.
If there are differences between the scents they are not substantial imho , for instance Moroccan Rhassoul is slightly better than other scents in the post department. 
If you have access to samples, buy a few ones both pastes and soaps , it's the best way to decide because each face is a world  Smile

0 1,044
 11-03-2015, 05:43 AM
User Info
(11-03-2015, 05:12 AM)max1ci6 Wrote: I have tried sample of hard soaps and don't think there is difference with the pastes.
If there are differences between the scents they are not substantial imho , for instance Moroccan Rhassoul is slightly better than other scents in the post department. 
If you have access to samples, buy a few ones both pastes and soaps , it's the best way to decide because each face is a world  Smile

Thank you, I appreciate your input. 
I think I will just go ahead and order a paste and a hard puck in whichever scents take my fancy.

8 206
 11-03-2015, 06:53 AM
User Info
I'll be able to tell you about two of the hard soaps pretty soon.  I ordered samples of Dark Limes and Pink Grapefruit.  They have not yet arrived, but probably will within a week or so.  I'm excited to be able to form my own opinion of these soaps.

2 1,388
 11-03-2015, 07:08 AM
User Info
(11-03-2015, 06:53 AM)kingfisher Wrote: I'll be able to tell you about two of the hard soaps pretty soon.  I ordered samples of Dark Limes and Pink Grapefruit.  They have not yet arrived, but probably will within a week or so.  I'm excited to be able to form my own opinion of these soaps.

Please let me know what you think after a couple of shaves. Much appreciated!

8 206
 11-03-2015, 07:19 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Some people seem to be underwhelmed with these soaps and their scents, while others see them as top performers. I'm in latter group. There was a lot of hype about these soaps when they came out, and when they didn't live up to the hype, as no soap ever does, many people were critical of them. I have Dark Limes, Lavender De Luxe, Exotic Elemi, Pink Grapefruit, Himalayan Heights, and Salty Sea Sage, and will probably order others. They have some new scents, but as yet, are not available in the US. I find that they all perform equally well. My favorite scents are Dark Limes, Lavender De Luxe, and Exotic Elemi, and I find the others a little light on scent. I only have soaps, but have read that both soaps and pastes perform equally well. Many of their scents are quite different from what one is accustomed to in shaving soap scents, and might put some people off, but I have really enjoyed them.

38 5,030
 11-03-2015, 08:20 AM
User Info
(11-03-2015, 07:19 AM)evnpar Wrote: Some people seem to be underwhelmed with these soaps and their scents, while others see them as top performers. I'm in latter group. There was a lot of hype about these soaps when they came out, and when they didn't live up to the hype, as no soap ever does, many people were critical of them. I have Dark Limes, Lavender De Luxe, Exotic Elemi, Pink Grapefruit, Himalayan Heights, and Salty Sea Sage, and will probably order others. They have some new scents, but as yet, are not available in the US. I find that they all perform equally well. My favorite scents are Dark Limes, Lavender De Luxe, and Exotic Elemi, and I find the others a little light on scent. I only have soaps, but have read that both soaps and pastes perform equally well. Many of their scents are quite different from what one is accustomed to in shaving soap scents, and might put some people off, but I have really enjoyed them.

Very good points and i also suspected that the initial hype may have led to some of the average opinions of these soaps. The Exotic Elemi has my attention, could you give me your take on the scent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 206
 11-03-2015, 08:57 AM
User Info
I am part of the group that was underwhelmed by the soap.  My disappointment was not in the scents, the presentation, or in difficulty of lathering, because truthfully the scents are great (except Strong & Scottish, run away from that scent, it is a spectacular failure in my book!), the presentation is among the best and the soap lathers very easily. My disappointment was in the lather itself.  I found it to be too airy for my liking (no it was not over hydrated).  Even employing the method of building the lather on the puck I could never generate the type of lather I am looking for (heavy, dense and shiny) with Meißner Tremonia soaps.  That being said I know we all prize different characteristics in our lather. I hope you enjoy the soap if you decide to get it! One of our members RobinK has really enjoyed these soaps and will probably have some good things to say about them and tips for using them.

73 2,196
 11-03-2015, 11:32 AM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
Because I am here in the States I ordered from Straight Razor Design in Medina Ohio.  They are very helpful.  When I ordered for my brother I asked them for a few samples and they did include some!  So he can try a few and he enjoyed those also.  I have heard mixed reviews on the Scottish scent so I take it is love or hate with nothing in the middle.  I cannot wait till the almond and the bay rum can be ordered here in the states.

2 479
 11-03-2015, 11:37 AM
User Info
I look forward to trying the shaving soap in the future; I have too much new stuff to order anything now.  What I am curious about is the shampoo paste, has anybody tried it?  For $25, it had better be amazing and last for a couple of months.  Color me dubious.

2 81
 11-03-2015, 12:06 PM
User Info
(11-03-2015, 08:57 AM)merkur man Wrote: I am part of the group that was underwhelmed by the soap.  My disappointment was not in the scents, the presentation, or in difficulty of lathering, because truthfully the scents are great (except Strong & Scottish, run away from that scent, it is a spectacular failure in my book!), the presentation is among the best and the soap lathers very easily. My disappointment was in the lather itself.  I found it to be too airy for my liking (no it was not over hydrated).  Even employing the method of building the lather on the puck I could never generate the type of lather I am looking for (heavy, dense and shiny) with Meißner Tremonia soaps.  That being said I know we all prize different characteristics in our lather. I hope you enjoy the soap if you decide to get it! One of our members RobinK has really enjoyed these soaps and will probably have some good things to say about them and tips for using them.

Same disappoinment here about the lather, but at the end of the shave I forget it. Good ingredients, nice and original scents, and one of the best post shave feels. Really good soaps  Thumbsup.

0 563
 11-03-2015, 12:13 PM
User Info
Pots of Milk is one that caught my eye. Anyone used that in soap or paste form?

15 1,018
 11-03-2015, 12:54 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(11-03-2015, 08:20 AM)nudge101 Wrote:
(11-03-2015, 07:19 AM)evnpar Wrote: Some people seem to be underwhelmed with these soaps and their scents, while others see them as top performers. I'm in latter group. There was a lot of hype about these soaps when they came out, and when they didn't live up to the hype, as no soap ever does, many people were critical of them. I have Dark Limes, Lavender De Luxe, Exotic Elemi, Pink Grapefruit, Himalayan Heights, and Salty Sea Sage, and will probably order others. They have some new scents, but as yet, are not available in the US. I find that they all perform equally well. My favorite scents are Dark Limes, Lavender De Luxe, and Exotic Elemi, and I find the others a little light on scent. I only have soaps, but have read that both soaps and pastes perform equally well. Many of their scents are quite different from what one is accustomed to in shaving soap scents, and might put some people off, but I have really enjoyed them.

Very good points and i also suspected that the initial hype may have led to some of the average opinions of these soaps. The Exotic Elemi has my attention, could you give me your take on the scent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won't be able to describe Exotic Elemi very well. One site describes the scent of elemi oil as, "Fresh, citrusy and slightly peppery," and used for aromatherapy, skincare, and encouraging compassion and emotional healing. I thought that it was somewhat grassy and perhaps peppery, but in a way that I'd never smelled before. I'm sure that many people won't care for it, but I found that I kept going back to use it again and again. 

The lather complaints made here are not uncommon. However, I have found the opposite, and have been very pleased with the lather. I shave with straights, and need a lather that is slick and holds up well throughout the shave, and Meißner soaps do that for me. Perhaps it's my water. I do think they are soaps that some people will love, while other people dislike the scents or the lather.

38 5,030
 11-03-2015, 01:41 PM
User Info
Richard, I'd love to see a "lather shot" of your Meißner Tremonia lather one day.  Perhaps I just got a couple of dud tubs (to my knowledge I got two of the reformulated versions).  I'd like to enjoy these soaps but my lathers were just too airy although still slick, despite loading heavily and incorporating minimal amounts of water.  Maybe I need to try a paste? If you get a chance to take a lather shot I'd love to see it.

73 2,196
 11-03-2015, 02:47 PM
User Info
I used Himalayan Heights this morning and found the performance to be excellent.  

As mentioned above it was (slightly) on the airy side, but the slickness was there resulting in a great shave.

192 1,588
 11-03-2015, 03:06 PM
User Info
I have 9 soaps and one paste, is one of my absolute favorite soaps, don't  have problems with foam, Soap and paste similar performance for me but I think it is easier to make foam with paste.

8 1,676