11-03-2015, 06:12 PM
User Info
(11-03-2015, 08:57 AM)merkur man Wrote: I am part of the group that was underwhelmed by the soap.  My disappointment was not in the scents, the presentation, or in difficulty of lathering, because truthfully the scents are great (except Strong & Scottish, run away from that scent, it is a spectacular failure in my book!), the presentation is among the best and the soap lathers very easily. My disappointment was in the lather itself.  I found it to be too airy for my liking (no it was not over hydrated).  Even employing the method of building the lather on the puck I could never generate the type of lather I am looking for (heavy, dense and shiny) with Meißner Tremonia soaps.  That being said I know we all prize different characteristics in our lather. I hope you enjoy the soap if you decide to get it! One of our members RobinK has really enjoyed these soaps and will probably have some good things to say about them and tips for using them.

It is good to hear a contrasting opinion on the soap and I imagine it would be hard not to get a decent lather from a decent soap using your method. Your observations seem to be similar to what people report with MWF giving a foamy lather but in my experience with MWF, the foamy lather indicates that it needs a fair bit more water added incrementally until the lather thickens up considerably and becomes very stable. I'm not saying the same thing is happening with your Meißner Tremonia soaps but if you haven't already, I would recommend adding significantly more water than you think is necessary when building the lather. 

Which scents do you have and which ones did you like the most? Obviously not "Strong & Scottish" which isn't really up my alley either.

8 206
 11-03-2015, 06:37 PM
User Info
(11-03-2015, 12:54 PM)evnpar Wrote: I won't be able to describe Exotic Elemi very well. One site describes the scent of elemi oil as, "Fresh, citrusy and slightly peppery," and used for aromatherapy, skincare, and encouraging compassion and emotional healing. I thought that it was somewhat grassy and perhaps peppery, but in a way that I'd never smelled before. I'm sure that many people won't care for it, but I found that I kept going back to use it again and again. 

The lather complaints made here are not uncommon. However, I have found the opposite, and have been very pleased with the lather. I shave with straights, and need a lather that is slick and holds up well throughout the shave, and Meißner soaps do that for me. Perhaps it's my water. I do think they are soaps that some people will love, while other people dislike the scents or the lather.

Thanks for the description, it's better than I would have been able to translate into words.
When you say grassy does that mean like vetiver? My understanding is that vetiver is a type of grass but apart from Fine fresh vetiver aftershave (which I didn't care for), I don't really have much experience with vetiver unless it was a component of another scent and I wasn't aware of it.

8 206
 11-03-2015, 06:42 PM
User Info
(11-03-2015, 03:06 PM)lu20vt Wrote: TI have 9 soaps and one paste, is one of my absolute favorite soaps, don't  have problems with foam, Soap and paste similar performance for me but I think it is easier to make foam with paste.

Agreed.

I own 6 soaps and 6 pastes, 12 total, and enjoy this brand highly.
On par with Castle Forbes, B&M, CRSW Select and Klar Seifen.

Top notch high quality product.

Great presentation

Great scents

Great lather

Great cushion

Great slickness

Great post shave feel

Rating: 9.5/10

25 6,621
 11-03-2015, 07:28 PM
User Info
(11-03-2015, 06:42 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(11-03-2015, 03:06 PM)lu20vt Wrote: TI have 9 soaps and one paste, is one of my absolute favorite soaps, don't  have problems with foam, Soap and paste similar performance for me but I think it is easier to make foam with paste.

Agreed.

Great presentation

Great scents

Great lather

Great cushion

Great slickness

Great post shave feel

That is very encouraging. Which of the scents do you like the most?

8 206
 11-03-2015, 07:48 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(11-03-2015, 06:37 PM)nudge101 Wrote:
(11-03-2015, 12:54 PM)evnpar Wrote: I won't be able to describe Exotic Elemi very well. One site describes the scent of elemi oil as, "Fresh, citrusy and slightly peppery," and used for aromatherapy, skincare, and encouraging compassion and emotional healing. I thought that it was somewhat grassy and perhaps peppery, but in a way that I'd never smelled before. I'm sure that many people won't care for it, but I found that I kept going back to use it again and again. 

The lather complaints made here are not uncommon. However, I have found the opposite, and have been very pleased with the lather. I shave with straights, and need a lather that is slick and holds up well throughout the shave, and Meißner soaps do that for me. Perhaps it's my water. I do think they are soaps that some people will love, while other people dislike the scents or the lather.

Thanks for the description, it's better than I would have been able to translate into words.
When you say grassy does that mean like vetiver? My understanding is that vetiver is a type of grass but apart from Fine fresh vetiver aftershave (which I didn't care for), I don't really have much experience with vetiver unless it was a component of another scent and I wasn't aware of it.

Grassy might not be the right description, as it definitely is a scent that I'd never been exposed to before. However, I also don't pick up a citrus scent, as was described. I recommend Googling Elemi oil scent and read what has been written. I doubt that I would do a very good job at describing bay rum or barbershop scents, let alone Exotic Elemi. All I know is that I like this very unusual scent.

38 5,992
 11-03-2015, 10:58 PM
User Info
(11-03-2015, 07:28 PM)nudge101 Wrote:
(11-03-2015, 06:42 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:

Agreed.

Great presentation

Great scents

Great lather

Great cushion

Great slickness

Great post shave feel

I own 6 total, here is my scent rankin, enjoy all 6 scents though...

1. Pink Grapefruit
2. Indian Flavour
3. Black Beer
4. Dark Limes
5. Lavender de Luxe
6. Salty sea sage

25 6,621
 11-04-2015, 05:17 AM
User Info
(11-03-2015, 10:58 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(11-03-2015, 07:28 PM)nudge101 Wrote:
(11-03-2015, 06:42 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Agreed.

Great presentation

Great scents

Great lather

Great cushion

Great slickness

Great post shave feel

I own 6 total, here is my scent rankin, enjoy all 6 scents though...

1. Pink Grapefruit
2. Indian Flavour
3. Black Beer
4. Dark Limes
5. Lavender de Luxe
6. Salty sea sage

I will keep this in mind when I finally place an order. Thanks for your input.

8 206
 11-04-2015, 05:32 AM
User Info
(11-03-2015, 06:12 PM)nudge101 Wrote:
(11-03-2015, 08:57 AM)merkur man Wrote: I am part of the group that was underwhelmed by the soap.  My disappointment was not in the scents, the presentation, or in difficulty of lathering, because truthfully the scents are great (except Strong & Scottish, run away from that scent, it is a spectacular failure in my book!), the presentation is among the best and the soap lathers very easily. My disappointment was in the lather itself.  I found it to be too airy for my liking (no it was not over hydrated).  Even employing the method of building the lather on the puck I could never generate the type of lather I am looking for (heavy, dense and shiny) with Meißner Tremonia soaps.  That being said I know we all prize different characteristics in our lather. I hope you enjoy the soap if you decide to get it! One of our members RobinK has really enjoyed these soaps and will probably have some good things to say about them and tips for using them.

It is good to hear a contrasting opinion on the soap and I imagine it would be hard not to get a decent lather from a decent soap using your method. Your observations seem to be similar to what people report with MWF giving a foamy lather but in my experience with MWF, the foamy lather indicates that it needs a fair bit more water added incrementally until the lather thickens up considerably and becomes very stable. I'm not saying the same thing is happening with your Meißner Tremonia soaps but if you haven't already, I would recommend adding significantly more water than you think is necessary when building the lather. 

Which scents do you have and which ones did you like the most? Obviously not "Strong & Scottish" which isn't really up my alley either.

I only ever tried Dark Limes and Strong & Scottish.  Dark Limes is really quite nice in my opinion.  Regarding the suggestion of incorporating more water, I know what you mean, I have found the same thing with MWF and also with Saponficio Varensino soaps working the lather while continuing to add water works wonders for building a thick, rich lather.  Unfortunately, I was unable to get Meißner Tremonia soaps to do the same.  that being said, the lather produced is still thick.  Unfortunately I sold my tubs after owning for about a month and using the dark limes a dozen or so times.

80 2,429
 11-04-2015, 06:37 AM
User Info
(11-04-2015, 05:32 AM)merkur man Wrote: I only ever tried Dark Limes and Strong & Scottish.  Dark Limes is really quite nice in my opinion.  Regarding the suggestion of incorporating more water, I know what you mean, I have found the same thing with MWF and also with Saponficio Varensino soaps working the lather while continuing to add water works wonders for building a thick, rich lather.  Unfortunately, I was unable to get Meißner Tremonia soaps to do the same.  that being said, the lather produced is still thick.  Unfortunately I sold my tubs after owning for about a month and using the dark limes a dozen or so times.

It sounds like you know what you are talking about because I also find SV lathers very similar to MWF which isn't giving me confidence in the performance of Meißner Tremonia but I think I should just bite the bullet and order some samples or a puck and see for myself.

8 206
 11-04-2015, 09:01 AM
User Info
You're right, you never know until you try it. I hope it agrees with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

80 2,429
 11-04-2015, 11:36 AM
User Info
(11-03-2015, 12:13 PM)crazindndude Wrote: Pots of Milk is one that caught my eye. Anyone used that in soap or paste form?

Yep.  I purchased a sample of the paste from Connaught.  Excellent.  Thick, rich, lovely lather.  Very high performance.  Extremely moisturizing.  Didn't use any AF.  I love it, and will be ordering a full tub.  

Also, I purchased the Strong "N" Scottish soap.  I may be in the minority here, but I love it.  Long-lasting scent.  Very different—definitely love it or hate it.  Kind-of a strange light coral/light brown colour lather.  Great performance, über scent.  Pairs beautifully with witch hazel afterwards.

1 568
 11-05-2015, 06:58 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I enjoyed my sample of Strong "N" Scottish, but not enough to purchase a puck. I'm waiting for Woody Almond, Natural Bay Rum, and Gentle Menthol to become available in the US, as well as their new AS balms that match the scents of their soaps.

38 5,992
 11-05-2015, 07:58 AM
User Info
My goodness, two people who enjoyed Stong 'n Scottish!! That is almost unbelievable!  Strong & Scottish in my opinion was a terrible mistake and gets my vote for worst scent in all of shavedom! Who knew you could extract an essential oil from a drunken, sheep-herding Scotsman's Kilt that hasn't been washed since last winter and incorporate it into a shaving soap to sell! [Image: wink.gif] Strong & Scottish is extremely pungent and almost knocked me out when I unscrewed the lid! If you've not tried this one, watch out, it is pretty vicious stuff and takes no prisoners. I actually never could bring myself to shave with this one, in fact it took my a week or so to wash the scent out of the brush I used to test lather it.

The other scent I tried was Dark Limes, which I found to be a very nice scent.

80 2,429
 11-05-2015, 08:19 AM
User Info
(11-05-2015, 07:58 AM)merkur man Wrote: My goodness, two people who enjoyed Stong 'n Scottish!! That is almost unbelievable!  Strong & Scottish in my opinion was a terrible mistake and gets my vote for worst scent in all of shavedom! Who knew you could extract an essential oil from a drunken, sheep-herding Scotsman's Kilt that hasn't been washed since last winter and incorporate it into a shaving soap to sell! [Image: wink.gif] Strong & Scottish is extremely pungent and almost knocked me out when I unscrewed the lid! If you've not tried this one, watch out, it is pretty vicious stuff and takes no prisoners. I actually never could bring myself to shave with this one, in fact it took my a week or so to wash the scent out of the brush I used to test lather it.

The other scent I tried was Dark Limes, which I found to be a very nice scent.

Clap This is one of the best scent descriptions I have read, Bravo! I think I will be staying away from Strong & Scottish that's for sure.

8 206
 11-05-2015, 11:10 AM
User Info
Well, I had my maiden voyage with Dark Limes this morning as my samples from Connaught arrived yesterday.  

I don't like to make judgment calls after only one lather, but this lather was very disappointing to me.  Very airy lather.  Didn't seem to want to accept more water.  Strangely, although the lather looked like it would offer little to no protection, there was a film of lather almost stuck to my face beneath the fluffy stuff, and the shave ended up being OK (not great, but not bad).  Post-shave face feel, to me, was meh.  

Scent is OK; not like any lime-scented product I've ever used before, but not bad.  Faint in the lather.  

I'm going to give this one a few more tries using different brushes and different methods and see if I can make it work better, but so far, this soap did not impress me.

3 1,993
 11-05-2015, 04:47 PM
User Info
(11-05-2015, 11:10 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Well, I had my maiden voyage with Dark Limes this morning as my samples from Connaught arrived yesterday.  

I don't like to make judgment calls after only one lather, but this lather was very disappointing to me.  Very airy lather.  Didn't seem to want to accept more water.  Strangely, although the lather looked like it would offer little to no protection, there was a film of lather almost stuck to my face beneath the fluffy stuff, and the shave ended up being OK (not great, but not bad).  Post-shave face feel, to me, was meh.  

Scent is OK; not like any lime-scented product I've ever used before, but not bad.  Faint in the lather.  

I'm going to give this one a few more tries using different brushes and different methods and see if I can make it work better, but so far, this soap did not impress me.

That sounds a disappointing and similar to what Merkurman described. What if you start of with a just damp brush, no extra water in the knot but dribble a little bit onto the puck before loading? Will this allow you to load a thick paste/cream before transferring to a wet face to continue building and maybe adding a few dribbles of water to the brush?

Please let me know if you manage to dial it in more.

8 206
 11-05-2015, 09:21 PM
User Info

Nathan, could it just be that you are used to all of the tallow soaps that you prefer and the lather you generate from them?
I have a puck of the Lavender Deluxe and I don't have much of a problem getting a nice, rich lather. It isn't as 'thick' as what I usually get with some tallow soaps, but it looks very good.
Now, I think I need to use it, again, to see how it goes. Shy

91 21,264
 11-06-2015, 02:45 AM
User Info
Celestino, would you be so kind as to post a photo of the lather you can make with Meißner Tremonia? I'd like to see it for comparison with what I can generate. I don't have trouble making mounds and mounds of lather with it, it's just the consistency that is off for me. Mine always turns out very voluminous but with lots of small air bubbles.
As far as this being a trait of veggie soaps in general I am not so sure. I only have a couple of veggie soaps around anymore. My favorite formula is Saponificio Varensino and I can get a lather that is almost as good as Mystic Waters lather using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

80 2,429
 11-06-2015, 04:30 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Strong & Scottish needs its own club. 

"For the man who bathes in marsh water, brushes his teeth with cheesecloth and single malt scotch, starts his day with haggis & egg breakfasts before a day of mulesing sheep....we have a shave soap for YOU!...." Laughing1

BTW I love MT. Partial to the dark limes.

178 1,667
 11-06-2015, 05:07 AM
User Info
(11-06-2015, 04:30 AM)Steelman Wrote: Strong & Scottish needs its own club. 

"For the man who bathes in marsh water, brushes his teeth with cheesecloth and single malt scotch, starts his day with haggis & egg breakfasts before a day of mulesing sheep....we have a shave soap for YOU!...." Laughing1

BTW I love MT. Partial to the dark limes.

I  love this description!

80 2,429