11-03-2015, 08:23 AM
User Info
Bespoke has been after me to join for awhile and now this: "Bespoke Barber Box" Is it a good deal for someone starting out virtually from square one? (I'd be paying $45 and not $55 as a first timer.)

1 50
 11-03-2015, 08:33 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
That looks like a Standard Razor - so if you add all the items up - $45 is a pretty good deal. 

It's missing a shaving brush though. Also, you will want to try other shaving creams/soaps/blades etc - and on and on....

17 535
 11-03-2015, 09:06 AM
User Info
(11-03-2015, 08:33 AM)v4257 Wrote: v4257
That looks like a Standard Razor - so if you add all the items up - $45 is a pretty good deal. 

It's missing a shaving brush though. Also, you will want to try other shaving creams/soaps/blades etc - and on and on....

Yeah, I already have a brush upgrade coming -- a PARKER Synthetic. I've also tried a couple different soaps. But the only razor I've got is an old G2 so I've been kind of curious to try a modern one for comparison. Was about to order a Maggards before this offer showed up. Evidently the Standard is somewhat controversial?

1 50
 11-03-2015, 09:13 AM
User Info
Does Phil at the Bullgoose have starter boxes? If good quality supplies for a newbie shaver and not priced high I would buying one for my nephew on Christmas.

0 155
 11-03-2015, 09:53 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(11-03-2015, 08:23 AM)BigCabDaddy Wrote: Bespoke has been after me to join for awhile and now this: "Bespoke Barber Box" Is it a good deal for someone starting out virtually from square one? (I'd be paying $45 and not $55 as a first timer.)

It depends — a bit, not a lot, but it does depend — on what you mean by “square one.   Eighteen months ago (almost exactly), I decided to give DE shaving a try and, after much research, decided to buy a Standard Razors razor like the one in the Bespoke Barber box as my first DE razor.  The Standard Razors razor was new to the market at the time and had only scant reviews by people who actually had used one, and I was impressed by Michael Ham’s favorable comments about it.  (Michael Ham is known on-line as LeisureGuy, and he has a blog.)   What I did not know then, and did not even consider until I bought and started to use a second DE razor nine months later, is that the Standard Razors razor is a pretty “aggresive” or, if you prefer, “efficient” razor.  By all accounts it is not as aggressive as a Mühle R41, but it is decidedly more aggressive than my second DE, an iKon Stainless Slant, and even more aggressive than a Feather AS-D2 into which an “efficient” iKon open comb baseplate has been substituted for the “mild” Feather baseplate (with which I have been experimenting this week).  

Now I had been shaving for five decades, with a blade and beard prep by a badger brush and real shaving soap, by the time I started my first shave with the Standard Razors razor:  I was not a novice to blade shaving.  But I had my share of weepers as I negotiated the Standard Razors learning curve.   Today, I no longer fear the Standard Razors razor, and weepers from it are pretty much a past memory rather than a daily threat.  But if  “square one” means that you are just starting to shave with a DE razor, you may wish to consider whether you want to jump into the icy water from your first day (as unwittingly I did) or would rather embrace the comfort zone of a milder razor until you have your technique down pat.

1 1,089
 11-03-2015, 10:27 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I'm not certain about Bespoke, but a lot of these things are monthly boxes, which means you have one delivered to your door each month for  a monthly fee. A lot of times that first box is cram full of goodies, and looks like a solid deal. What you need to ask yourself is, "Will the future offerings be worth what is asked for them?"
I'd do some serious research before I signed onto anything binding. MHO.

2 1,683
 11-03-2015, 10:34 AM
User Info
If you are a first timer, coupon code: ADDICTION should give another 25% off, makes it like $33ish. It's a pretty good deal for the Standard Razor. Just don't forget to either cancel your subscription or opt out of your box each month. I've stayed on and every now and again I'll get a box. I picked up Roast (coffee stuff), and something about gym which had a really nice gym bag and a sweat towel in it.

43 207
 11-03-2015, 10:41 AM
User Info
I'm doing a bad job of representing myself. I'm not "square one" in terms of shaving experience as I've been faithful to my G2 for maybe two years -- maybe more. What I don't have is any breadth of experience never having used another DE. Similarly, I've only tried a couple soaps with the latest (Kiss My Face Lavendar Shea) at your suggestion. I've had only one poor condition vintage brush that came with my razor and a cheap "genuine bristle" brush my wife got me for Christmas two years ago this Christmas. 

So, I know how to shave -- I think. But from what I've now read, the G2 is considered "mild" and I only use it at a setting of five. So I don't have a sense of "aggressive" or how aggressive I'd find too agressive. 

Also, I'm not primarily concerned with whether the Bespoke box is a "deal." I don't want to be taken advantage of financially of course, but more what I meant to ask was whether the box would be a worthwhile purchase. I'd researched the prices and saw that the selling price is less than the sum of the components, but that doesn't necessarily make it a worthwhile deal. I'd not seen Standard Razor mentioned here or anywhere else until I googled them. The soap isn't one I see mentioned a whole lot either.

Like I kind of alluded to in another thread, I have to watch myself that I'm not merely taken in by appearences. I certainly do think the Standard is a sexy looking razor. But I'm beginning to think that may be the biggest appeal of this box.

1 50
 11-03-2015, 10:42 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
You might take a look at this guy's channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/tgggd86/videos

2 1,683