11-03-2015, 01:08 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
This isn't a Freudian sit on the leather couch and tell all about your secret phobias or angst over products.  I was thinking about some of my irrational aversions and personal hypocrisies to shaving products. I know my badger hair brushes come from Mainland China AKA PRC, Chicoms not the guys on Taiwan or my friends in Chinatown. I am an environmeddalist and politically active. So I should be avoiding badgerhair and flying my Tibetan national flag more often. But I love my badgers. I wont buy horsehair. I owned horses,worked with horses and along with the economic downturn  alfalfa  went to the ( again) Chinese dairy industry as feed expenses and renting pasture  took everything away.
My father and older brother used OLD SPICE and Gillette Superspeeds. I rebelled and refuse to touch either. The 'Old Man' of my
Icebreaker and one Antarctic Patrol used BAY RUM. I had more fun on that ship; visited Shackleton's gravesite, stood a heroic double helm watch in a Flying Dutchman storm and watched an idiot excuse of an Ensign destroy his career. We were on bridge as he laughed at our traditional navigation, loudly proclaiming modern electronics and increasing satellite positioning made us
as obsolete as Cook's Endeavor; wildly waving a prewar brass Weem Und Plath sextant- personal property of the Skippers. WHO,I could tell with my then superior sense of smell was  halfway up the ladder with his bay rum proceeding . AFTER looking over the sextant and returning it to the case; The Captain assigned our ensign to extra  watches navigating us by sextant, chronometer and Bowditch practical navigator tables. The senior Quartermaster quietly charted the correct course and I made subtle helm corrections  and later determined we would have run aground off of Chile. Ensign was shipped off to an isolated duty station. I simply cannot, out of respect wear Bay Rum.
So, what are your shaving quirks?

2 3,171
 11-03-2015, 01:28 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I don't mean to tread on too much touchy political ground here, but the United States (which has been my proud home for my entire life) has, for better or for worse, given up on being a commodity goods producer. Sure, badger hair is a byproduct of China's meat industry, so it will always come from there, but the synthetic alternatives are also only produced in China. I know nothing of sourcing boar hair, so I will leave others to comment on that. The only viable alternative I know about is horse hair, and that doesn't seem to be all that popular. (Haven't tried it myself) But back to the point, the breadth of goods that come from China is really difficult for us to conceive. Forgoing badger hair wouldn't even constitute a small percentage of a slight rounding error in China's economy. If the US wants to reclaim its role as a producing nation, it will take much more than a few wet shavers deciding to use dog hair brushes. It would take some radical, and possibly unwise policy decisions from our elected officials.

I'm not even remotely contending that I know the best course of action here. Economics is really hard. It has its own Nobel prize and everything. I'm just saying that, while considering the source of shaving brush hair is noble, and I wish more people thought that way, it is ultimately inconsequential. Might as well enjoy the small luxuries while we are able, all the while, hoping that the smart people figure out the really tough problems. Smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 824
 11-03-2015, 02:28 PM
User Info
Out of love and respect for my late father-in-law...I use Bay Rum. Is that quirky? I also wear his old Omega Automatic (currently being totally refurbished). Nothing fancy, it was just his. My brother has/had all of my long since passed father's items. Shaving was no big deal when I was growing up. Everybody kinda hated it; myself included. My real quirk is now RAD!!!!!  Aaaaa I love our hobby.

39 3,880
 11-03-2015, 02:33 PM
User Info
Saint Charles Shave has a line of 'Savory Rose' products that reminds me of my grandmother.  I use the AS on special days from her life (e.g., day born, day died, anniversary, etc.).

I also have razors from my father and one of my grandfathers.  I use them on their special days.

1 135
 11-03-2015, 02:47 PM
User Info
Cyril Salter Rose reminds me of visits to my Grandmother's house as a youngster.  Each time I use it my mind drifts back to younger days.

Ed

21 751
 11-03-2015, 03:51 PM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
I like leather couches.

12 607
 11-03-2015, 05:44 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Good vibes and bad, such is life. I know full well we wont change world economics or destructive product sources by buying only predistressed aluminum tins. But I feel we have a moral duty to at least be conscious of those choices and chart our own path. I forgot to mention my catastrophic first aftershave buy. There was this crazy Frenchman who drove a VW van selling all manner of stuff door to door. I bought the biggest glass bottle of Lilac Vegetal. He gave me a free sample of this eucalyptus scented salve; whispering
if I applied it after sex all venereal diseases would be destroyed.
I was smart enough not to try it ( no opportunity @ 15 anyway) but dumb enough to apply the Vegetal- and apply it and apply some more. I didn't understand aftershaves were
short lived and was expecting an EDT all day effect. I go to school and by day's end was a pariah and got in a fight with 3 varsity football team members accusing me of being a 'queer'. I lost, but managed to break our star Quarterback's arm and THEY lost every game save one that year. He was the son of prominent conservatives; WHO held a party when he received draft #365 and had it written up in the equally conservative newspaper. I enlisted AFTER they ended the draft just before our callup ( I had # 9) and later found myself a SP reassigned to the  newly dominant San Francisco gay neighborhood in the old Irish neighborhood. All the old IRA men who came after the Civil War and became union men couldn't figure it out and just moved. So, I drop in to this wild place called OILCAN HARRY'S after they had been very welcoming and mutually respectful. And there, there on a stool was my old antagonist cultivating a massive moustache in black leathers wearing some gawdawfull patchouli crud that was THE gay scent of choice. He saw me and begged me not to tell anyone. I didn't, after Bruce( yes Bruce) the bartender told me he was a lost soul and to show pity. He was in a fight the month before and somebody broke his other arm. I came home after six years and that damned bottle of Vegetal ( half empty after it's one use) was still in the cabinet. I laughed and tossed it.

2 3,171
 11-03-2015, 05:53 PM
  • Csd3
  • Denver, Co
User Info
Thats a helluva story.  Odd how things often come full circle in due time.

7 325
 11-03-2015, 06:20 PM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
Well, I'm not switching my leather razor strops for synthetic vegan friendly razor strops any time soon. Besides, it's too late for mankind...we've already screwed the pooch and likely cannot reverse matters.

12 607
 11-03-2015, 06:28 PM
User Info
You can't make this stuff up! My tales are kids' bedtime stories in comparison.  Cheers

39 3,880
 11-03-2015, 08:47 PM
User Info
Great topic. Definitely some funny stories in there. Sentimentally, I don't really have any quirks, but I do prefer to use items that are quintessentially representative of their country of origin and like the idea of a mostly one country shave.

On the environment front, I try to live my life considerately and responsibly. I would like to have a perfectly environmentally friendly shave, but at the end of the day, my face and this one moment of zen in the day are more important to me. So, I opt for luxury and performance. At this point, these two interests have aligned somewhat, as I'm using a veggie soap with no plastic packaging. But, I tried a failed to give up badger brushes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 279
 11-04-2015, 08:25 AM
User Info
I try to avoid plastic bottles even though we recycle plastic bottles here in Portland.  For the brands I have to have that come in plastic bottles, like Booster, I transfer the contents into non-labelled glass bottles I scooped up on Amazon.  Plastic is just not classy on my shave counter.

I also hate stickers.  Any time I buy a product with a sticker on it I immediately peel it off.  I've even seen stickers plastered on nice presentation boxes.  What were they thinking?  If you're going to use stickers, make sure they peel off easily with no sticky residue left behind.

And finally, I wish shaving supply vendors would take a cue from Amazon and quit using those styrofoam pellets as packing material.  Switch to either paper or plastic airbags, both of which I can recycle.  I'm sure it's more expensive but I'm willing to pay the extra cost to be able to recycle the entire package.

0 135
 11-04-2015, 08:32 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Anyone who tries to be 100% PC  will suffer a paralyzing inertia for any action at all. My faux ivory brush MAY invoke the terrible ongoing slaughter of elephants. There are people who would demand even faux ivory be boycotted as if drinking grape juice leads to becoming a jug wine alcoholic. BECAUSE I know that history, and use a cultural and aesthetic continuation enabled me to take part in a further clampdown on illegal ivory sales in California, a surprisingly major market source. Back on subject; wetshaving is
a marvelous meditation on doing something with both deliberation and pleasure, the measured voices of a Gregorian chant, servicing a fine mechanical watch, embracing memories in our 'hintergedanke' of both good, bad, funny and utterly cosmic and comic.
Now, we already dismissed packing peanuts as a post consumer problem. I would argue Amazon with it's Gilded Age, Jack London workbeast labor relations is no example for anything.

2 3,171
 11-04-2015, 11:18 AM
User Info
i gradually realize that i *think* i am affraid of trying straight razors, just in case i happen to like them better. i am worried for real, because i am not the guy that prefer diversity of shaving products Sad

7 1,624
 11-04-2015, 11:36 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Marius, EMBRACE YOUR FEAR. Imagine that straight is the Singing sword of Prince Valiant Star-wars-smiley-023 A  cartoon strip Viking with better grooming than Haggar the horrible.

2 3,171
 11-04-2015, 12:11 PM
User Info
thank you for your encouragement! then i will come out of the straight closet and try it out before we enter 2016 Cool

7 1,624
 11-04-2015, 12:50 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Marius, I would also encourage you to give the straight a go. It is the very best shave I have ever experienced. And I'm not so much talking about things like closeness, or the smoothness of the skin afterward. But the comfort and the smoothness of the shave itself, during the shave, is for me second to none, and I get absolutely zero irritation. Shaving daily with a straight makes my skin and face feel like I have pampered it all week long.
Lovely stuff.

2 1,683
 11-04-2015, 12:54 PM
User Info
(11-04-2015, 11:18 AM)tonsorius Wrote: i gradually realize that i *think* i am affraid of trying straight razors, just in case i happen to like them better. i am worried for real, because i am not the guy that prefer diversity of shaving products Sad

True artists will venture into any unknown realm with wonder, without contemplation, my friend! Thumbup   Just use the straights for one pass to see what you think.

82 21,056
 11-04-2015, 01:17 PM
User Info
(11-04-2015, 08:32 AM)kav Wrote: Back on subject; wetshaving is a marvelous meditation on doing something with both deliberation and pleasure, the measured voices of a Gregorian chant, servicing a fine mechanical watch, embracing memories in our 'hintergedanke' of both good, bad, funny and utterly cosmic and comic.

So very much this!

If it helps the meditation, embrace your minor hangups. Don't like plastic bottles? Get glass ones. Have an issue with badger brushes? There are tons of great alternatives. Have a scent you want to wear all the time / not at all? Have at it Biggrin

3 4,374
 11-04-2015, 02:52 PM
User Info
(11-04-2015, 12:54 PM)celestino Wrote:
(11-04-2015, 11:18 AM)tonsorius Wrote: i gradually realize that i *think* i am affraid of trying straight razors, just in case i happen to like them better. i am worried for real, because i am not the guy that prefer diversity of shaving products Sad

True artists will venture into any unknown realm with wonder, without contemplation, my friend! Thumbup   Just use the straights for one pass to see what you think.

ha! true artists always contemplate deeply before action - but for me, shaving with a straight isn't art anyway, so i'll jump into it Piggy_214

7 1,624