11-03-2015, 09:40 PM
User Info
I'm thinking about having one of my classic cobras plated in rose gold.  Who does the best job with that? Also, how does it work with the little screw on it?  Would it stay chrome and stand out?

12 848
 11-04-2015, 04:50 AM
User Info
I know Razor Emporium does this:

http://www.razoremporium.com/razor-revamp-service/

I personally haven't used them but have seen some of their work and it looks great.

4 465
 11-04-2015, 07:01 AM
User Info
I purchased a rose gold replated 1947 Gillette Fat Handle Tech razor from Razor Emporium.  Beautiful razor.  But after maybe 10 or 15 shaves I noticed some very tiny flaking, and I mean tiny, on the edge of the comb near where the blade sticks out.  This is my only rose gold razor, so I'm not sure if this is normal.  I decided to retire it from active service, but I still enjoy having it in my stable.  

I've purchased a few replated razors from RE, and this is the only one that has had any issues. 

[Image: r9aZ2Ux.jpg]

0 135
 11-04-2015, 08:47 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
There are actually at least three jewelry terms for precious metal applications; gilded,rolled and plate that refer directly to the actual thickness of the applied metal. Rose Gold
is lovely, but anecdotally my jeweler-watchsmith claims is more prone to chipping and rapid wear on edges than the other alloys. It isn't the quality of the application but just the nature of the material. Your razor is a beauty and deserves to carry the inevitable patination and wounds of service and not mere display as artifact.

2 3,171
 11-04-2015, 10:34 AM
User Info
Funny you should say that because after I posted the above, I went upstairs to shave, looked at my rose gold razor and thought, "What the hell, I'm going to keep using it."

And then I shaved with it.

You're right.  It may be gorgeous but it's a tool, not an artifact, and I enjoy shaving with it.

0 135
 11-04-2015, 12:39 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Chris at RazorPlate.com did my rose gold super-adjustable.  He did a fabulous job with excellent communication throughout the process.
[Image: ZWQS63l.jpg]
[Image: ntSMQbW.jpg]

47 1,924
 11-04-2015, 07:38 PM
User Info
Thanks for the reply, I'll check them out.  I remember seeing someone had a couple cobras all done in different finishes and the rose gold looked amazing on it, anyone know who that was and/or who did the rose gold on it?

12 848
 11-04-2015, 08:01 PM
User Info
(11-04-2015, 07:38 PM)ShaneN. Wrote: Thanks for the reply, I'll check them out.  I remember seeing someone had a couple cobras all done in different finishes and the rose gold looked amazing on it, anyone know who that was and/or who did the rose gold on it?

You must be referring to ben74.

83 21,077
 11-08-2015, 03:07 AM
User Info
(11-04-2015, 07:38 PM)ShaneN. Wrote: Thanks for the reply, I'll check them out.  I remember seeing someone had a couple cobras all done in different finishes and the rose gold looked amazing on it, anyone know who that was and/or who did the rose gold on it?

Believe he is an Australia. Not sure if he did the refinishing there or shipped it to a US vendor...

14 482
 11-26-2015, 10:48 PM
User Info
razorplate is the best hands down. search razor emporium on google or bing for customer reviews. RE is considered to be like syphilis on badger and blade. Some people have sent in a razor for a revamp, and had it sold to someone else. Funny things like that.

And I think there is varying colors for "rose gold"

0 157