11-05-2015, 03:50 PM
User Info
I've never tried one. Do you like them or do you find them too light?

Al

44 487
 11-05-2015, 04:14 PM
User Info
I do like them. They are not my end all be all handle material, but it's another chess piece in my den.
 I have a nice large hempel ti I like with my mongoose, it's large enough to maintain a nice balance in the hand but light enough to keep the razor nimble.

28 781
 11-05-2015, 08:10 PM
User Info
I really enjoy my UFO Titan 12mm. I, now, prefer lighter handles and I would love to get a few more, but they are quite expensive and I find that the two Wolfman aluminum handles that I have are just as practical and efficient, but much less expensive.

83 21,081
 11-06-2015, 07:24 AM
User Info
(11-05-2015, 08:10 PM)celestino Wrote: I really enjoy my UFO Titan 12mm. I, now, prefer lighter handles and I would love to get a few more, but they are quite expensive and I find that the two Wolfman aluminum handles that I have are just as practical and efficient, but much less expensive.

I may be reading too much into this but my inner material science voice is questioning about using dissimilar metal and galvanic corrosion.  According to my handy chart it looks like the aluminium would have a slightly higher corrosion rate when introduced to stainless steel.  Whereas Titanium and Stainless would have no or minimal effect on each other.  Are there any decent reasonably priced Ti handles?

5 71
 11-06-2015, 08:12 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
Try Sir Toby of Triad for a titanium handle.

13 611
 11-06-2015, 10:40 AM
User Info
(11-06-2015, 07:24 AM)FSMisMyCopirate Wrote: I may be reading too much into this but my inner material science voice is questioning about using dissimilar metal and galvanic corrosion.  According to my handy chart it looks like the aluminium would have a slightly higher corrosion rate when introduced to stainless steel.  Whereas Titanium and Stainless would have no or minimal effect on each other.  Are there any decent reasonably priced Ti handles?

I have never experienced any issues with corrosion with my aluminum handles and stainless steel heads in the 6 months of use, so far. I don't foresee this happening, but I do disassemble and dry my shaving gear after each shave.

The only Titanium handles that I know of that are being produced are:
* Jurgen handles
* UFO (difficult to source and long waiting time)
* Triad (not taking any orders, though)

Good luck.

83 21,081
 11-06-2015, 04:21 PM
User Info
(11-06-2015, 10:40 AM)celestino Wrote:
(11-06-2015, 07:24 AM)FSMisMyCopirate Wrote: I may be reading too much into this but my inner material science voice is questioning about using dissimilar metal and galvanic corrosion.  According to my handy chart it looks like the aluminium would have a slightly higher corrosion rate when introduced to stainless steel.  Whereas Titanium and Stainless would have no or minimal effect on each other.  Are there any decent reasonably priced Ti handles?

I have never experienced any issues with corrosion with my aluminum handles and stainless steel heads in the 6 months of use, so far. I don't foresee this happening, but I do disassemble and dry my shaving gear after each shave.

The only Titanium handles that I know of that are being produced are:
* Jurgen handles
* UFO (difficult to source and long waiting time)
* Triad (not taking any orders, though)

Good luck.

If you take them apart after every shave you will not have a problem but it could very easily lead to a problem if you used it every day and left them screwed together for about 15 years. It's an issue for building and machines but for this application might be not an issue at all.

5 71
 11-06-2015, 10:03 PM
User Info
(11-06-2015, 04:21 PM)FSMisMyCopirate Wrote: If you take them apart after every shave you will not have a problem but it could very easily lead to a problem if you used it every day and left them screwed together for about 15 years. It's an issue for building and machines but for this application might be not an issue at all.

Jason, thanks for the information, but I'll be cleaning my razors after every shave until I am unable to shave any longer, so I don't foresee this being an issue. Biggrin

83 21,081
 11-07-2015, 02:21 AM
User Info
(11-06-2015, 10:03 PM)celestino Wrote:
(11-06-2015, 04:21 PM)FSMisMyCopirate Wrote: If you take them apart after every shave you will not have a problem but it could very easily lead to a problem if you used it every day and left them screwed together for about 15 years. It's an issue for building and machines but for this application might be not an issue at all.

Jason, thanks for the information, but I'll be cleaning my razors after every shave until I am unable to shave any longer, so I don't foresee this being an issue. Biggrin

It may not even be an issue even without doing that but certainly won't be with. I have just had it beat into my head that dissimilar metals is bad. But most things I design have very long life spans. Enjoy!

5 71
 11-07-2015, 10:38 AM
User Info
Thank you, very much and I will, indeed, enjoy things. Biggrin

83 21,081
 11-07-2015, 10:40 AM
User Info
I think Titanium handles work very well with heavy heads.  I didn't like them, but it is because I love heavy razors.  Otherwise, I think they are great.

61 3,796
 11-08-2015, 06:38 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
I prefer lighter handles, and Ti fit the bill. I'm sure aluminum is nice, but perhaps too light and much more easy to cross thread.
As far as galvanic corrosion is concerned, the frequent removal and tightening wouldn't allow it to become fused or corroded I would think- takes a long time snugged up together to fuse or start eating at each other. A drop of shave oil would likely prevent any issue.

143 1,984
 11-09-2015, 11:18 AM
  • nunhgrader
  • Prairie Village, KS USA
User Info
I love both light and heavy handles! Jurgen handles in titanium are really nice as well as Mr. Toby's beauties! I have a iKon Tech head with a Jurgen Titanium handle that was anodized by Mr. Toby/ Triad.

Pics here: http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=32062&page=21

I love the feel of the anodized titanium - not as light as aluminum (which I also love) - has a unique feel with the iKon head - great combo!

28 667
 11-10-2015, 07:39 AM
User Info
I favor heavy handles but I have a NEW Deluxe head on a ti handle. It is perfectly balanced. So I would say that a ti handle has its place.

1 171
 11-13-2015, 03:07 PM
User Info
(11-06-2015, 07:24 AM)FSMisMyCopirate Wrote:
(11-05-2015, 08:10 PM)celestino Wrote: I really enjoy my UFO Titan 12mm. I, now, prefer lighter handles and I would love to get a few more, but they are quite expensive and I find that the two Wolfman aluminum handles that I have are just as practical and efficient, but much less expensive.

I may be reading too much into this but my inner material science voice is questioning about using dissimilar metal and galvanic corrosion.  According to my handy chart it looks like the aluminium would have a slightly higher corrosion rate when introduced to stainless steel.  Whereas Titanium and Stainless would have no or minimal effect on each other.  Are there any decent reasonably priced Ti handles?

Considering that galvanic corrosion is an electrochemical process, is that even applicable here?  I wouldn't think so, but I could be wrong.  Anecdotally, I haven't personally had any issues with dissimilar-metal heads and handles (stainless-steel, titanium, aluminum, brass, chrome, nickel, ...).

13 100
 11-16-2015, 01:03 PM
User Info
I just received my titanium handle and head from James at Wolfman.  Very nice and worth the wait

0 40
 11-16-2015, 04:15 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Material alone doesn't constitute a great handle : ergonomics and balance make the difference for me.

102 18,652
 11-16-2015, 08:43 PM
User Info
(11-16-2015, 04:15 PM)Agravic Wrote: Material alone doesn't constitute a great handle : ergonomics and balance make the difference for me.

Signs011 , plus aesthetics and how it will look in my photographs. Biggrin

83 21,081
 12-01-2015, 09:58 AM
User Info
I abandoned stainless steel handles several months ago when I received titanium and aluminum Wolfman handles.  I definitely prefer the lighter handles, which give the razor a "top heavy" feel to them, especially when paired with a more aggressive head.  I switch back and forth between the aluminum and titanium depending on my mood for that day.

Stainless, Titanium, Aluminum.

[Image: 2015-09-04%2014.18.15_zpsm3usyupi.jpg]

10 407
 12-01-2015, 10:30 AM
User Info
I love titanium.  I have a UFO Titan Fine L and it is my favorite handle.  Just rocks.  I kind of like a thicker handle, and the titanium allows thickness without adding too much weight.

2 1,462