11-06-2015, 11:01 AM
User Info
I bought 2 Gem MicroMatics last week from FreddieP318ti.  I have no memory of ever having used one in my youth, so I decided to give one a try.  The first one I got was the Clog- pruf, but I didn't have a proper blade for it.  I did however have some new paint scraper blades, so after some palm stropping, I tried one.  One stroke was all it took to convince me this was folly, and I finished the shave with another razor.  But by then I had an MMOC in the mail along with 5 proper blades.  So when it arrived, I palm stropped a blade, loaded it in the razor, and set it in the bathroom for morning.  

Yesterday morning's shave was one of the smoothest and closest of my life; so close that I don't really need to shave this morning.  Where's the embarrassment?  My embarrassment is that I ignored them all my life, thought them second rate and ugly, and waited until I was 66 to first try one.  Tomorrow I'll try the Clog-pruf.  The shave I got from the MMOC, (using Haslinger's coconut soap that I bought from Churchilllafemme) was a bit more aggressive than the iKon Tech or 2011 Muhle r41 but much smoother.  I might not have ever bought either one of those two razors, had I but tried the MMOC first.  "We get too soon old, and too late smart".  Toodles.

11 84
 11-06-2015, 12:29 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Sounds like a great experience. Enjoy those newly discovered shave tools?

61 4,637
 11-06-2015, 01:16 PM
User Info
SEs are amazing razors and the Clog Pruf is one of, if not, my favorite vintage SEs. It was also the first SE I ever used and finally convinced me that this traditional shaving thing was actually worth the time and training. 

Enjoy your SE shaves and welcome to the sharp side.

31 8,058
 11-06-2015, 01:22 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Good illustration of perseverance paying off Donald.  I had a similar experience a couple years back with the MMOC.  SE GEMs just weren't part of my early shaving experience.  I picked one up for a couple bucks along with some blue steel (carbon) blades.  It didn't go well, and the MMOC went into a drawer.  A year or so later I tried again, this time with some coated SS GEM blades and voila!

45 492
 11-06-2015, 02:02 PM
User Info
Glad to hear they are working out for you Donald. When it comes time to order, the blades I sent you are the GEM SS coated blades. Let us know what you think of the Clog Proof!

148 3,602
 11-06-2015, 03:54 PM
User Info
 11-06-2015, 06:13 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
Nice going! I grew older with Schick's and then after retirement got to play with the GEM's and other of that type. Closest shave going are those from the MMOC. I will say that a properly adjusted Wilkinson or Henckles Rapide will do that close but maintenance is a problem with them.
~Richard

8 1,194
 11-07-2015, 09:07 AM
User Info
I shaved this morning with the Clog-pruf, used a different soap (Captain's Lime), but got the same result, a smooth and clean shave.  

Maybe a little less aggressive, but only maybe.  If I could only keep one, it would probably be the open comb, but I like this one too.  

I bought a mint condition gold Bullet tip in a presentation case with a blade caddy on eBay yesterday for under $15; I should have it next week.  
I may even seek out a G Bar, if I can find a nice one.  Thanks for the encouragement.  Toodles.

11 84
 11-07-2015, 10:12 AM
User Info
Thanks for sharing your experience and continue to enjoy them.

61 3,796
 11-07-2015, 11:21 AM
User Info
I like a success story!

You'll find the G-bar to be a completely different razor experience. It's much less aggressive. If you want another aggressive razor the ER '24 "Shovelhead" is another. I actually like the ER '24 more than the OCMM.

When you find yourself wanting blades, most all of us buy them in bulk from Ted Pella (their #121-3 blades) or from Connaught.

I don't know if you know this, if you do, then I'm writing it for the folks who read but don't write to let us know that they're here... SE blades don't bite when they get dull. They just stop cutting efficiently. So as long as they give a good shave and are comfortable, just keep using it. I've gotten over 30 shaves from one of the stainless coated blades. I almost always get at least 20 shaves from one.

32 6,471
 11-07-2015, 12:48 PM
User Info
(11-07-2015, 11:21 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I like a success story!

You'll find the G-bar to be a completely different razor experience. It's much less aggressive. If you want another aggressive razor the ER '24 "Shovelhead" is another. I actually like the ER '24 more than the OCMM.

When you find yourself wanting blades, most all of us buy them in bulk from Ted Pella (their #121-3 blades) or from Connaught.

I don't know if you know this, if you do, then I'm writing it for the folks who read but don't write to let us know that they're here... SE blades don't bite when they get dull. They just stop cutting efficiently. So as long as they give a good shave and are comfortable, just keep using it. I've gotten over 30 shaves from one of the stainless coated blades. I almost always get at least 20 shaves from one.
Is the ER '24 "Shovelhead" that you're talking about, the one that hinges from the front and opens from the rear?  Which Gems and ERs, if any, can use the Feather SE blade.  I didn't know that SE blades don't bite when they get dull like DE blades do, and Feathers are the worst. Thanks for the good info.
Donald

11 84
 11-14-2015, 05:18 PM
User Info
Yes the ER-1924 is the one that hinges from the front and opens from the rear?

5 1,562
 06-24-2017, 04:08 PM
User Info

Just saw this post from long ago.

Are people still using the Ted Pella blades referenced above?

I just bought GEM blades from Amazon. They are from Electron Microscopy Sciences company. Here is an Amazon link to them:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K33...UTF8&psc=1

And here is the link to the Electron Microscopy Sciences. They are part #: 71970
http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/prod...aspx#71970

Anyone used these? Are they the same as the Ted Pella blades? Or the same as the Persona blades?

I'm hoping the Electron Microscopy blades are going to be good/useable.

0 51
 06-24-2017, 05:01 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
Wish I could help. I've only purchased the Pella 121-3 blades, which work like a charm and are quite available. Good luck!

6 388
 06-24-2017, 07:46 PM
User Info
(06-24-2017, 04:08 PM)DEKey Wrote:

I just bought GEM blades from Amazon. They are from Electron Microscopy Sciences company. Here is an Amazon link to them:

And here is the link to the Electron Microscopy Sciences. They are part #: 71970

Anyone used these? Are they the same as the Ted Pella blades? Or the same as the Persona blades?

Yes, they are the same blade; Gem PTFE coated. Ted Pella & EMS are just two different wholesellers. You can also purchase them from Connaught which is where I usually find the best price in bulk.

31 8,058
 06-25-2017, 10:14 AM
User Info
(06-24-2017, 07:46 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(06-24-2017, 04:08 PM)DEKey Wrote:

Yes, they are the same blade; Gem PTFE coated. Ted Pella & EMS are just two different wholesellers. You can also purchase them from Connaught which is where I usually find the best price in bulk.

Great. Thanks a lot.

Amazing that it looks like it is cheaper to order in bulk from Connaught and have it sent back to the US than from other sources. Great tip. Thanks.

0 51
 06-25-2017, 10:30 AM
User Info
(06-25-2017, 10:14 AM)DEKey Wrote:
(06-24-2017, 07:46 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(06-24-2017, 04:08 PM)DEKey Wrote: Just saw this post from long ago.

Great. Thanks a lot.

Amazing that it looks like it is cheaper to order in bulk from Connaught and have it sent back to the US than from other sources. Great tip. Thanks.

Glad to help. I've purchased hundreds from them myself.

31 8,058