11-07-2015, 02:18 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
As there now are three and a half “serious” double edge razors now in the cabinet above the sink (as well as two cartridge razors), this week yr obdnt srvnt has begun to engage in an experiment, paying close attention, and keeping notes on the concept of the relative mildness or agressiveness — or the relative efficiency or lack thereof, if one prefers that terminology — of the respective razors.  I will describe my methodology, and I invite others to join in this thread if they follow the same methods to test their own DE razors.  

The basis of the test is simple; feel free to comment if you think that it is too simple.  
  •  I lather up and shave as normal with a first pass, but make it an especially thorough first pass;
  •  Then I disassemble the razor that I used for the first pass, move the blade to a different razor, lather again, and make the second pass.
  •  While making the second pass, I listen for the sound of whiskers being whacked.
This methodology keeps the variables of blade type and wear and of lather quality to a minimum; neither should vary significantly over the course of a single two-pass shave.  The working hypothesis is that the more the sound indicates that cutting is taking place on the second pass, the more it indicates that the second pass razor is more aggressive/efficient than the first pass razor, and vice versa.

One obvious flaw in this methodology is that some DE razors are inherently louder than others, so the differences in volume must take a subsidiary place to the audible perception of whisker quantity contributing to the sound.

The first pair of razors that I tried this with comprised a Feather AS-D2 razor, which is notoriously very mild and forgiving, but which engenders differing opinions as to its ultimate efficiency, for the first pass, and a Standard Razors razor, which from personal experience I know to be sneaky aggressive, for the second pass.  The Standard Razors razor is also a loud razor.  No surprise, the Standard Razors razor found a lot of stubble to attack on the second pass, and the sound may have awakened some of our neighbors from their slumber.  To be fair, I had owned the Feather for only a week at the time of the trial, so my technique with that specific instrument may still be immature.  It will be interesting to repeat that trial as I become more accustomed to how to get the best out of the AS-D2.  

The second pairing engaged the iKon Stainless Slant DLC for the first pass, and the Feather AS-D2 with an iKon Open Comb DLC baseplate substituted for the Feather baseplate (had you wondered about the “half” when when I wrote “three and a half” above?  There you are.) for the second pass.  Simon & Garfunkle presciently wrote a song about the audible effects of the second pass:  the Sound of Silence.  It was a very close shave, BTW. 

Obviously, I need to make many more trials of various combinations to flesh out this experiment.  In the meantime, I invite the readers of this thread to try out the methodology for themselves and report their results.

0 1,049
 11-07-2015, 03:07 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Interesting.

102 18,552
 11-07-2015, 04:13 PM
User Info
Subscribed! I need to have a few days with my new old Krona before I can objectively evaluate.
I do side by side comparisons on many products, but this never occurred to me. Great idea!

0 71
 11-08-2015, 11:07 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
Today’s data point:  
TWO passes with the Feather AS-D2; then swapped the iKon Open Comb DLC baseplate into the razor replacing the stock Feather baseplate.
Noticeable noise was generated on the third pass.

This morning’s shave was the last shave on a well-used Iridium Super blade, which now is in the blade bank.  From tomorrow, I shall be continuing to use the same methodology of swapping razors between passes and listening to the later pass, but I shall using a KAI blade.

0 1,049