11-07-2015, 06:47 PM
User Info
I have none so want to remedy that. I came across the Strop Shoppe brand and was wondering how they roll. The Baker Street or Unscented tallow special edition versions interest me the most. There's a caution on the website that they require lots of water to lather up; big deal or little? Opinions and suggestions welcome.

29 1,776
 11-07-2015, 07:05 PM
User Info
Strop Shoppe is excellent in all categories. I only have had one sample from Maggard's but it was enough to realize how great the soap is. I had the barbershop scent and it is outstanding if you like that scent. I plan to buy a full size Strop Shoppe now that they offer 4oz size.

13 947
 11-07-2015, 07:24 PM
User Info
If you're going to buy Strop Shoppe, just pony up for the Limited Edition. The additional shea and cocoa butter make it a big jump up from the Special Edition formula.

Other good tallow brands...there are many. Here's a small listing of what I like, and others will have their favorites:
  • Barrister & Mann
  • Mike's Naturals
  • Cold River Soap Works
  • Mickey Lee Soapworks
  • Art of Shaving tallow
  • Valobra
  • Haslinger
  • Shannon's Soaps
There are many many great tallow soaps out there. Hard to separate which is better than the next in many cases.

15 1,018
 11-07-2015, 07:36 PM
User Info
I'll add that I want to avoid lanolin, but everything else is on the table. I'll look into the Maggard samples. Thanks, all.

29 1,776
 11-07-2015, 07:40 PM
User Info
(11-07-2015, 07:36 PM)rsp1202 Wrote: I'll add that I want to avoid lanolin, but everything else is on the table. I'll look into the Maggard samples. Thanks, all.

Reef Point doesn't have lanolin and is one of the very best soaps I own.

13 947
 11-07-2015, 07:49 PM
User Info
I ordered the Baker Street and Barbershop samples from Maggard, so thanks for that. Now to check Reef Point and Valobra.

29 1,776
 11-07-2015, 08:23 PM
User Info
Wow, Ron! Are you saying you have never tried any? They create the creamiest and densest lather.

You already know my favourite, but there are so many good ones. 

crazindndude has a great list that you can start off with.

Good luck, my friend! Thumbsup

82 21,056
 11-07-2015, 09:16 PM
User Info
No, Celestino, I've used tallow in the past. But there are scents and ingredients that I've come to prefer and they happen to be in vegan formulations. I was just taking stock and realized how far afield I've gone and wanted to get some of the real deal back in the rotation.

29 1,776
 11-07-2015, 11:01 PM
User Info
(11-07-2015, 07:36 PM)rsp1202 Wrote: I'll add that I want to avoid lanolin, but everything else is on the table. I'll look into the Maggard samples. Thanks, all.

That rules out a lot of things, but off hand, I believe that Dapper Dragon and Chiseled Face Groomatorium make tallow-based soaps, sans lanolin. Both can be purchased from Maggards.

3 196
 11-07-2015, 11:18 PM
User Info
(11-07-2015, 09:16 PM)rsp1202 Wrote: No, Celestino, I've used tallow in the past. But there are scents and ingredients that I've come to prefer and they happen to be in vegan formulations. I was just taking stock and realized how far afield I've gone and wanted to get some of the real deal back in the rotation.

Good to know, Ron, and good luck.

82 21,056
 11-08-2015, 04:43 AM
User Info
(11-07-2015, 11:01 PM)TropicalHotDog Wrote:

That rules out a lot of things, but off hand, I believe that Dapper Dragon and Chiseled Face Groomatorium make tallow-based soaps, sans lanolin. Both can be purchased from Maggards.

Michelle at Mystic Water also makes some of her soaps without lanolin. So far I have found no difference in performance or post shave feel. Adirondack Jack is a great scent (to me i course) and does not contain lanolin.  I believe she has others as well.

86 891
 11-08-2015, 07:37 AM
User Info
I'm on it. Thanks to all.

29 1,776
 11-08-2015, 07:43 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(11-08-2015, 04:43 AM)chromedometone Wrote: Michelle at Mystic Water also makes some of her soaps without lanolin. So far I have found no difference in performance or post shave feel.

Really makes you wonder about all the hype about lanolin... And why artisans insist on adding it to their formulas. If I wanted to feel like there is wool scratching my neck all day long I'd just wear a wool sweater. I don't need you to put that chemical in your soap. Thanks though.

57 2,545
 11-08-2015, 08:07 AM
User Info
(11-08-2015, 04:43 AM)chromedometone Wrote:
(11-07-2015, 11:01 PM)TropicalHotDog Wrote:

Michelle at Mystic Water also makes some of her soaps without lanolin. So far I have found no difference in performance or post shave feel. Adirondack Jack is a great scent (to me i course) and does not contain lanolin.  I believe she has others as well.

There is also the Barrister and Mann Latha line. Regular Barrister and Mann soaps have lanolin in them, but the Latha line does not.

3 196
 11-08-2015, 09:14 AM
User Info
(11-08-2015, 07:43 AM)Nero Wrote: Really makes you wonder about all the hype about lanolin... And why artisans insist on adding it to their formulas. If I wanted to feel like there is wool scratching my neck all day long I'd just wear a wool sweater. I don't need you to put that chemical in your soap. Thanks though.

The more you know...

Lanolin is an extremely effective emollient in restoring and maintaining the all important hydration (moisture balance) of the stratum corneum, and so prevents drying and chapping of the skin. Equally important, it does not alter the skin's normal transpiration.  

Lanolin has been shown to cause the water in the skin to build up to its normal level of 10-30%, by retarding without completely inhibiting trans-epidermal moisture loss. Lanolin has the unique property of absorbing twice its own weight of water. Lanolin has the physical properties of increasing adhesion to dry skin, and forming protective films on the skin.  

Lanolin is compatible with most fats and waxes used in cosmetics and pharmaceutical preparations. Lanolin is self emulsifying, producing very stable w/o emulsions with water and is often used in this hydrous form.  

Skin surface profilometry studies have provided objective evidence and confirmed the emollient effect of lanolin and its derivatives.

More recently, in addition to noting the chemical similarities between lanolin and human skin lipids, remarkable physical similarities have been observed. Examination by means of cross polarised light microscopy reveals that lanolin contains multilamellar structures, typical of liquid crystals, which are very similar to those found in human skin lipids.

So to surmise...

Lanolin consists of a highly complex mixture of esters of high molecular weight aliphatic, steroid or triterpenoid alcohols and fatty acids.
Lanolin is obtained from the wax found on sheep's wool; refined and purified to cosmetic specifications.
Lanolin is an excellent emollient, skin lubricant and protectant, capable of absorbing water in an amount equal to 50% of its weight. Rich in cholesterol and other skin-friendly sterols.

3 897
 11-08-2015, 01:33 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
I've used several products containing lanolin prior to discovering that the ingredient itches the heck out of my skin. I can even feel it itch my hand during test lathers, I always palm-lather when I test, no face contact. Itches like hell.
I'm not sure of what happens during the lanolin purifying process (or variations of batches or grades) but no matter what product, it has the same effect on me. Even the old formula AdP cream is one of them and I would imagine they have access to the highest cosmetic grade stuff, being in Milan, a/the cosmetics capital.

57 2,545
 11-08-2015, 03:30 PM
User Info
I stay away from lanolin because it's comedogenic, and just plain feels greasy. I was also concerned at one time with castor oil and various butters but found I could tolerate those. Heavily scented soaps and aftershaves still annoy me since they tend to linger and become cloying, so I walk a thin line with many such, but I also hate feeling boxed in so don't mind pushing the boundaries in order to find some enjoyable products.

29 1,776
 11-08-2015, 05:48 PM
User Info
(11-08-2015, 03:30 PM)rsp1202 Wrote: I stay away from lanolin because it's comedogenic, and just plain feels greasy. I was also concerned at one time with castor oil and various butters but found I could tolerate those. Heavily scented soaps and aftershaves still annoy me since they tend to linger and become cloying, so I walk a thin line with many such, but I also hate feeling boxed in so don't mind pushing the boundaries in order to find some enjoyable products.

The amount of misinformation is truly alarming!

I'm a dermatologist and am very versed in comedogenic values in ingredients commonly found in cosmetics including soaps, shampoos, lip balms and household cleansers. We use a simple numerical value (Comedogenicity Scale 0-5) to assign a rating for the comedogenic values of ingredients; 0 Will Not Clog Pores, 1 Low, 2 Moderately Low, 3 Moderate, 4 Fairly High, 5 High.

Let's take a quick peek at the values of some of the more popular ingredients commonly found in shaving soaps.  

Coconut Oil (4)
Palm Oil (4)
Avocado Oil (2)
Almond Oil (2)
Stearic Acid (2)
Beef Tallow (1)
Castor Oil (1)
Glycerin (0)
Shea Butter (0)
Anhydrous Lanolin (0)

So lanolin at least the type (anhydrous) used in our interests is non-comedogenic. Tallow is a low value and is unique in oils/fats used as it most closely resemble our skins sebum. It appears that the soaps made with mostly vegetable oils, coconut and palm are the biggest pore clogging culprits. Bear in mind where these ingredients place on the ingredient listing of products. You will usually find coconut oil, tallow and stearic acid near the top with others like lanolin, shea butter, glycerin near the bottom. 

I hope this helps to to clear up any confusion and more importantly separate myths from reality.

0 141
 11-08-2015, 05:51 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Thanks for the informative data.

102 18,552
 11-08-2015, 05:58 PM
User Info
(11-08-2015, 05:48 PM)bennett Wrote:
(11-08-2015, 03:30 PM)rsp1202 Wrote: I stay away from lanolin because it's comedogenic, and just plain feels greasy. I was also concerned at one time with castor oil and various butters but found I could tolerate those. Heavily scented soaps and aftershaves still annoy me since they tend to linger and become cloying, so I walk a thin line with many such, but I also hate feeling boxed in so don't mind pushing the boundaries in order to find some enjoyable products.

The amount of misinformation is truly alarming!

I'm a dermatologist and am very versed in comedogenic values in ingredients commonly found in cosmetics including soaps, shampoos, lip balms and household cleansers. We use a simple numerical value (Comedogenicity Scale 0-5) to assign a rating for the comedogenic values of ingredients; 0 Will Not Clog Pores, 1 Low, 2 Moderately Low, 3 Moderate, 4 Fairly High, 5 High.

Let's take a quick peek at the values of some of the more popular ingredients commonly found in shaving soaps.  

Coconut Oil (4)
Palm Oil (4)
Avocado Oil (2)
Almond Oil (2)
Stearic Acid (2)
Beef Tallow (1)
Castor Oil (1)
Glycerin (0)
Shea Butter (0)
Anhydrous Lanolin (0)

So lanolin at least the type (anhydrous) used in our interests is non-comedogenic. Tallow is a low value and is unique in oils/fats used as it most closely resemble our skins sebum. It appears that the soaps made with mostly vegetable oils, coconut and palm are the biggest pore clogging culprits. Bear in mind where these ingredients place on the ingredient listing of products. You will usually find coconut oil, tallow and stearic acid near the top with others like lanolin, shea butter, glycerin near the bottom. 

I hope this helps to to clear up any confusion and more importantly separate myths from reality.

Thanks for the info, Bennett!

11 489