11-11-2015, 10:35 PM
User Info
Sometimes I run across things that makes me cringe inside... one of my finds is hospital-data.com, which among other things lists statistics on such things as - for instance - facial accidents involving shavers or razors.

Lets skim a few and see what lessons we can identify, shall we?

Quote:61 YO M, C/O FACIAL SWELLING AND PAIN, ABSCESS WITH DISCHARGE, STARTED 4 DAYS AGO AFTER SHAVING AND CUTTING HIMSELF, DX CELLULITIS.
Very ouch, and a reminder to use alum and patch up major cuts.

Quote:35 YOM INFECTION ON FACE FROM USING DIRTY RAZOR FACIAL CELLULITIS
Less sympathy here - clean your gear people.

Quote:40 YO FEMALE SHAVED WITH RAZOR AND HAS RASH UNDER CHIN FOLICULITIS
I'm going to guess bad prep, in my experience a good prep fixes most rashes.

Quote:FOUND RAZOR AND CUT FACE, ALSO TOUCHED HOT BURNER ON STOVE
This one... two year old child. Please don't put your razor where children can find them and play unsupervised - and keep an eye on the stove when the burners are hot.

The database also lists injuries to other bodyparts, as well as injuries caused by other objects. Speaking of the former, it's not too surprising to see that injuries to the fingers outnumber facial injuries about 6.4:1... but the one shaver-or-razor related injury category that really make me cringe is "Eyeball":

Quote:PT C/O CUT TO RT EYE AREA LAST NIGHT WITH RAZOR - DX CORNEAL ABRASION.
Eeeeew.. not going there.

PS: I wanted to lighten up the post by adding a few funny pictures of razor cuts or accidents... but the majority I found was about self-injury and rather depressing. If you do suspect someone near you are suffering from this, please do whatever is in your power to get them help.

3 4,678
 11-12-2015, 12:45 AM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
I guess my Brother is not alone.  He went to ER the other week.  He was checking how 'sharp' his new blade was so he checked with his finger, 'ouch'.

2 479
 11-12-2015, 09:39 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(11-12-2015, 12:45 AM)Jovan Wrote: I guess my Brother is not alone.  He went to ER the other week.  He was checking how 'sharp' his new blade was so he checked with his finger, 'ouch'.

Nono

7 2,365
 11-12-2015, 09:58 AM
User Info
The one about kids what the worse one for me.  I have an eleven month toddler. I used to keep my blades and extra stuff in the bottom drawer of my night stand.   I still do, but I placed everything in a box with a small lock.

My older son is now 10. When he was 2 he wanted to "do like dad" and picked up the catridge razor my wife used to use for her legs. She had left it in the shower near her soap bar. The result was a very small cut to his cheek. It healed nicely and does not show at all today but it was an eye opener. We all think about electrical sockets, pill boxes, etc but there are so many other items in the house that can harm a child.

0 72
 11-12-2015, 10:02 AM
User Info
There is a youtube video ,I remeber searching for r41 reviews. Anyhow the guy is a newbie and he shows his r41 ,begans to load his brush with proraso and then he starts shaving . He says something after the first pass like oh thay wasn't bad or something like that. Next thing you see the guys face just turning red from all the weepers. He doesn't stop though , he's gotta finish the shave. Poor guy by the end probably had 100 weepers...

3 1,356
 11-16-2015, 12:45 PM
User Info
Amazed that in 2006 that bottom fell out!  Either folks were more careful (highly doubt it) or there were a lot less straight shaving folks for the year!  Yes on the infections.........always always use alum after shaving to treat nicks and cuts.  Yes it burns like you know what!  But rather burn a second than get that nasty dripping festering wound!!!!!

0 413
 11-16-2015, 12:46 PM
User Info
(11-12-2015, 12:45 AM)Jovan Wrote: I guess my Brother is not alone.  He went to ER the other week.  He was checking how 'sharp' his new blade was so he checked with his finger, 'ouch'.

And we can assume it was very sharp!!!! Biggrin

0 413
 11-16-2015, 05:32 PM
User Info
Some guys on Facebook like to post pics. Can't unsee some of those...

0 1,098
 11-19-2015, 02:55 PM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
(11-16-2015, 12:46 PM)Str8shaver Wrote:

And we can assume it was very sharp!!!! Biggrin

That is the first thing he told me...darn that was sharp!  W00t. Little brother, need I say more

2 479