11-08-2015, 07:03 AM
User Info
Good Morning everyone,  i was looking but haven't found much info on it.  How does the Gillette Slim compare to the ATT System (Not counting the S plates)?  I know that the ATT you get the OC options.  How does the aggressiveness compare to one another.

Thanks in advance

Jerry

21 368
 11-08-2015, 10:35 AM
User Info
These are completely different razors and you'll get a wide range of views.

Personally, the Slim is a fine shaver as it is an adjustable and you can easily adjust its aggression. However, even set at 9, its highest setting, it will never compare to the aggression of the ATT H1/H2 head. Therefore, if you are looking for a very aggressive shaver, then you just need to practice, very well, with the Slim on setting 9 or go with a more aggressive shaver, such as the ATT H series.

82 21,056
 11-08-2015, 03:41 PM
User Info
Celestino,

Thank you for your reply. What makes The H1/H2 mor aggressive than the Slim on 9?  I saw the blade gap info that Stan has on the FAQ of his site. It has the blade gap of Gillette Adjustable higher than the H1/H2. Is there something more than just blade gap that makes a razor aggressive? Or would it be a case of ymmv?

21 368
 11-08-2015, 04:09 PM
User Info
Am not Celestino but am gone chim in to say that there are many factors to the head geometry that, together, define how aggressive the razor is. Even the curvature on the blade plays in (thinking about Merkur Progress). Here is a thread on the infamous Mühle R41 discussing the differences between the 2011 and 2013 models. The 2011 is known to be more aggressive yet both have essentially the same blade gap.

8 1,068
 11-08-2015, 08:32 PM
User Info
(11-08-2015, 04:09 PM)lloydrm Wrote: Am not Celestino but am gone chim in to say that there are many factors to the head geometry that, together, define how aggressive the razor is. Even the curvature on the blade plays in (thinking about Merkur Progress). Here is a thread on the infamous Mühle R41 discussing the differences between the 2011 and 2013 models. The 2011 is known to be more aggressive yet both have essentially the same blade gap.

Signs011   and that the ATT H1/H2 is stainless steel which makes it a heavier razor.

82 21,056
 11-08-2015, 09:01 PM
User Info
A slim not only changes the gap but also flattens the angle (less blade bend) as you use the higher settings. The ATT plates maintain the angle and curvature of the blade.

Sent from my mobile device

4 180
 11-09-2015, 04:21 AM
User Info
I have two Delta Echo Slims that I love, and I have an ATT S1 and S2.  All I can say is this, could be me, but if I decide to go more aggressive on the slim than a 4 or a 5, I dont like the way the razor feels.  I leave it on 4 or 5 on the slim, and I just make an extra comfortable pass.

With the S1 and S2? No problems, especially the S2.  They feel comfortable and smooth no matter what and I get a much better smoother, closer shave.  Could be me, perhaps I need to work more with the Slim, but I find its a great mild shaver, and if I want a closer shave, I just use the S2 or S1.

1 468
 11-09-2015, 05:13 AM
User Info
Thanks everyone for the input.  

@lloydrm  thanks for the link, so far from what i've read seems pretty interesting

pretty much the blade gap, curvature of the blade and weight of the razor all play into the aggressiveness of the razor,

@SCShaver - Thanks for you input.  Have you used any of the ATT OC and SB plates?  If so how would a Slim compare to the R1/R2

21 368
 11-09-2015, 06:51 AM
User Info
Jsanchez,

I've only used the open comb S2 so that is my only experience with open comb from ATT.  I will say this, the comb on the ATT took some getting used to for me which meant really really lightening up the pressure and letting the Kronus handle do the work.  I'm not sure you can compare this razor at all to a Slim bud.  Its just different.  To me, the Slim is absolutely fool proof but its milder on the settings I use it on.

I think you should just order an ATT.  Everyone kept telling me this and you just do not know until you experience it for yourself.  You get a 30 day money back guarantee and you can get him to switch out heads of the razor for you until you find one you like.  I do not know of ANY other razor manufacturer that puts that kind of customer service behind their razors.  

If you want aggressive as well as comfort, my opinion is that you would find what you were looking for better with an ATT than you would playing around with a Gillette Slim.  Again, my Slim on 4 and 5 gives me great shaves, but I do not find it as comfortable on higher settings for my face.  

I think I agree with vmarks when he said above that:

"A slim not only changes the gap but also flattens the angle (less blade bend) as you use the higher settings. The ATT plates maintain the angle and curvature of the blade.

1 468
 11-09-2015, 01:07 PM
User Info
I have the ATT system.  Been using the the SB set since last March.  Recently acquired the OC and Slant sets.  Its a lot of combinations of razors.  I had, had the thought about if i wanted to consolidate the razors if a Slim would be a comparable option (not including the slant).

Based on everyone's reply it looks like i should just try the slim and see for myself.

Thanks again everyone for your input

21 368
 11-09-2015, 07:56 PM
  • nunhgrader
  • Prairie Village, KS USA
User Info
I think the ATT systems are worth investment! 100% I feel the R1 is one of the smoothest razors/ shaves I have experienced to date. I love the S2 next and then the S1 - great slants! After these, I like to play with the M plates and the H plates just for variety! I like each of their handles as well.

I am also a fan of the Slim - one of the great originals and believe everyone should try to own one!

28 667