11-08-2015, 08:53 AM
User Info
Hello gents.
As I posted in my Chubby 2 or Chubby 3 thread, I decide to go for a Chubby 2.
Naturally, me wanting to try a variety of high end knots, I am already researching the limited edition offers from Simpson.

I am a fan of 2-band silvertip knots, soft tips and good backbone. Some scrub is fine, but not too much and I do not like scritch at all.

My benchmark for 2-band knots are Thater 2-band finest silvertip, Shavemac 2-band silvertip, TGN Finest.
Which of the Simpson offerings is close to those listed?
How does Manchurian stack up to those?

Thanks in advance.

11 435
 11-08-2015, 10:24 AM
User Info
Stefan, as I have already stated to you, I believe you would most like Simpsons' Silvertip 2-Band hair. It would have the most similar characteristics as the brushes you mention in your post.
I believe the Manchurian hair might suit you in a smaller knot such as a Duke, but I think the Chubby 2 or 3 in this hair might have too much scrub for you. However, you'll never know until you try. Shy 
Good luck.

82 21,056
 11-08-2015, 10:27 AM
User Info
(11-08-2015, 10:24 AM)celestino Wrote: Stefan, as I have already stated to you, I believe you would most like Simposons' Silvertip 2-Band hair. It would have the most similar characteristics as the brushes you mention in your post.
I believe the Manchurian hair might suit you in a smaller knot such as a Duke, but I think the Chubby 2 or 3 in this hair might have too much scrub for you. However, you'll never know until you try. Shy 
Good luck.
+1

39 3,880
 11-08-2015, 10:29 AM
User Info
I actually think the brushes you mentioned in your last paragraph are even better.  The problem with a lot of these brushes is the knot inconsistency, be Silvertip, Manchurian, Super, etc...

Lot of trial and error, specially since we all have different skin types, so to assess a brush is a lot harder IMO.

61 3,796
 11-08-2015, 10:37 AM
User Info
As Celestino has stated, unless you try a Manchurian knot, you will never know if it's too scrubby for you. I would add that Mark is now making many of the Chubby 2 Manchurians with slightly higher lofts than earlier examples. I have a couple set at 52.5mm and 53mm, and this works a treat in reducing the degree of scrub compared to those set at 50mm or 51mm. Backbone is still retained, though.

31 5,283
 11-08-2015, 10:39 AM
  • ddk13
  • Nebraska
User Info
(11-08-2015, 10:24 AM)celestino Wrote: Stefan, as I have already stated to you, I believe you would most like Simposons' Silvertip 2-Band hair. It would have the most similar characteristics as the brushes you mention in your post.
Good luck.

I definitely agree with Celestino.  I have a Duke 3 Manchurian and it is absolutely wonderful.  The Chubby 2's I have tried in Manchurian are just way too dense and provide more scrub than I like.

42 581
 11-08-2015, 12:30 PM
User Info
(11-08-2015, 10:24 AM)celestino Wrote: Stefan, as I have already stated to you, I believe you would most like Simpsons' Silvertip 2-Band hair. It would have the most similar characteristics as the brushes you mention in your post.
Good luck.

Celestino,
I appreciate the input , I wanted to hear other points of view since this is an expensive brush.
I do not like how everyone here is in agreement, that means I have to try the two band and the Manchurian knots and see what they are all about.

11 435
 11-08-2015, 01:48 PM
User Info
(11-08-2015, 12:30 PM)mainaman Wrote: Celestino,
I appreciate the input , I wanted to hear other points of view since this is an expensive brush.
I do not like how everyone here is in agreement, that means I have to try the two band and the Manchurian knots and see what they are all about.

Sorry, my friend, but there really is no way around it. These two knots are completely different, in my opinion, and you would have to try them both to see which one would suit you best. Personally, I enjoy them both as I love variety, but if I had to make a choice, seeing as I prefer more scrub to my knots, I would go with the Manchurian.
Therefore, if you prefer less scrub, then the Silvertip 2-Band would be more to your liking.
Good luck.

82 21,056
 11-08-2015, 01:59 PM
User Info
(11-08-2015, 01:48 PM)celestino Wrote:
(11-08-2015, 12:30 PM)mainaman Wrote: Celestino,

Sorry, my friend, but there really is no way around it. These two knots are completely different, in my opinion, and you would have to try them both to see which one would suit you best. Personally, I enjoy them both as I love variety, but if I had to make a choice, seeing as I prefer more scrub to my knots, I would go with the Manchurian.
Therefore, if you prefer less scrub, then the Silvertip 2-Band would be more to your liking.
Good luck.

The two band silver tip will be the first to acquire and try.

I had a  M&F 27mm with pretty low loft, it was pretty scrubby with no scritch. How do the two knots in same dimensions compare , has any one tried them?

11 435
 11-08-2015, 08:30 PM
User Info
Stefan, the Manchurian knots are denser than the Silvertip ones. If you get two brushes in both hair types with equal specifications, you will find the Manchurian knot to, definitely, be the scrubbier. How much so to your face will depend on your subjective interpretation.
Good luck.

82 21,056
 11-09-2015, 04:17 AM
User Info
Forgive me for my ignorance, but I was unaware of a Simpsons 2-band?  Where can you get one of those?  I know of Manchurian, Best, and Super hair, but where does one acquire a Simpson's 2-band?  Is that the Super version?

1 468
 11-09-2015, 04:32 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
(11-09-2015, 04:17 AM)SCShaver Wrote: Forgive me for my ignorance, but I was unaware of a Simpsons 2-band?  Where can you get one of those?  I know of Manchurian, Best, and Super hair, but where does one acquire a Simpson's 2-band?  Is that the Super version?

They are all here...

Well not all - you can also inquire with Mark at Simpson. Occasionally he sells some as LEs.

[Image: jWqE2u1.jpg]

35 1,808
 11-09-2015, 04:56 AM
User Info
(11-09-2015, 04:32 AM)German Wrote:
(11-09-2015, 04:17 AM)SCShaver Wrote: Forgive me for my ignorance, but I was unaware of a Simpsons 2-band?  Where can you get one of those?  I know of Manchurian, Best, and Super hair, but where does one acquire a Simpson's 2-band?  Is that the Super version?

They are all here...

Well not all - you can also inquire with Mark at Simpson. Occasionally he sells some as LEs.

Such as the recent CH2 in Ebony Marble, for example.

31 5,283
 11-09-2015, 05:39 AM
User Info

I got the bug that I HAVE to try a Simpson brush in every high end hair they offer. I did some research and was pointed  towards contacting Mark on Twitter and FB, he is a member here so you can send a PM as well I guess. Mark told me that they offer two band brushes, just have to contact them and see what they have available, same with Manchurian.

11 435
 11-09-2015, 06:30 AM
User Info
(11-09-2015, 05:39 AM)mainaman Wrote:

I got the bug that I HAVE to try a Simpson brush in every high end hair they offer. I did some research and was pointed  towards contacting Mark on Twitter and FB, he is a member here so you can send a PM as well I guess. Mark told me that they offer two band brushes, just have to contact them and see what they have available, same with Manchurian.

I should try contacting him.  I am a solid 2-band man (Thater and a handful of Shavemacs) so I would love to find some information about a Simpson 2-band.  Thanks guys.

1 468
 11-09-2015, 06:56 AM
User Info
Pity that Silvertip rarely shows up anymore. I found the face feel and lathering much more enjoyable than the current swarming hoards of Manchurian.

29 1,776
 11-09-2015, 06:58 AM
User Info
Is the 2-band simpson more affordable than the Manchurian? I think two things keep me from trying a Manchurian: one is that Shavemac/Thater 2-bands I hear are softer than the Manchurian and two is that the Manchurian is like $400 US.  Sure I could resell the brush but it'd be a tough pill to swallow if I tried one for that price and hated it when I could get two Thaters/Shavemacs for the same price.  Now if the 2-band is lower in price and its softer than it could definitely be worth a try.

1 468
 11-09-2015, 07:00 AM
User Info
(11-09-2015, 06:58 AM)SCShaver Wrote: Is the 2-band simpson more affordable than the Manchurian? I think two things keep me from trying a Manchurian: one is that Shavemac/Thater 2-bands I hear are softer than the Manchurian and two is that the Manchurian is like $400 US.  Sure I could resell the brush but it'd be a tough pill to swallow if I tried one for that price and hated it when I could get two Thaters/Shavemacs for the same price.  Now if the 2-band is lower in price and its softer than it could definitely be worth a try.

In CH2, the difference is around £45, Manchurian being the more expensive of the two.

31 5,283
 11-09-2015, 07:10 AM
User Info
(11-09-2015, 06:56 AM)rsp1202 Wrote: Pity that Silvertip rarely shows up anymore. I found the face feel and lathering much more enjoyable than the current swarming hoards of Manchurian.

Ron, I love reading the variety of likes and dislikes we all have in badger hair grades. I'm finding the current Manchurian hair from Simpson to be massaging, yet still very soft and without any scritch. I've recently taken delivery of a CH2 2-Band SiLVERTiP and whilst it is definitely luxurious on the face, I'm finding it possibly too soft for my liking. I need a few more uses to make final judgement, though.

31 5,283
 11-09-2015, 07:28 AM
User Info
(11-09-2015, 06:58 AM)SCShaver Wrote: Is the 2-band simpson more affordable than the Manchurian? I think two things keep me from trying a Manchurian: one is that Shavemac/Thater 2-bands I hear are softer than the Manchurian and two is that the Manchurian is like $400 US.  Sure I could resell the brush but it'd be a tough pill to swallow if I tried one for that price and hated it when I could get two Thaters/Shavemacs for the same price.  Now if the 2-band is lower in price and its softer than it could definitely be worth a try.

I asked the question and the price for the Chubby 2 in 2-band is about the same as the price for Chubby 3 in Super.

11 435